PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ty Law Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long does Ty plan on waiting until he makes a decision? Training camp starts at the end of the month.

Patti37 said:
How long does Ty plan on waiting until he makes a decision? Training camp starts at the end of the month.
It doesn't matter when traininc camp starts. He signed with the Jests last year around Aug 11 or so. He's waiting for soeone, anyone, to offer him $$$. I just wish some team would sign him already.

Patti37 said:

Doesn't matter. He's also beting that one of 30 odd teams loses a starting CB to injury early in camp and their GM then panics, offering Law big bucks. Not a stupid strategy, especially if the Pats have indicated some form of willingness to sign him if available.

Patti37 said:

Seems to me that Law is a guy who will go where the most money is -

so with that being the case and the offers made thus far not to his liking, it makes a lot more sense for Law to sit tight, let camp to get well underway, wait for a team to lose a starting CB - or even a S - and cash in when a desparate team comes calling.

You might say, well that will set him back in training camp learning a new team's Defense.

I say, at this point in his career, Ty's probably not all that concerns about schemes - he wants to be a Man-Man corner - not interested in zone at all ideally - he was clearly in a gambling mood last year to grab as many INTs as possible, and picked up a ton of penalties in the process.

That can give you some guady stats if you need them as you happen to be a free agent, but it's not really good football

While it may be presumptuous of Law to claim that the Pats would have won the Superbowl if he had stayed on last year, I think that the team would have gotten farther along than we did. And we were only two games away from the superbowl.

The only thing I would question about his statement is whether he could have avoided some of those penalties. That probably had a lot to do with freelancing and not being in a system for long enough. He wasn't playing for a contract last year, the Jets had him signed long term. Maybe he was playing to insure his extension got picked up, I suppose.

I seriously don't think he was 'spitting' on anybody by making that statement, after all, he was cut. Yeah, he wanted more money because Champ Bailey had a huge contract, but he WAS let go, at the end of the day. I don't have a problem with his statement about winning the Superbowl last year.

Last edited:
5 Rings for Brady!! said:
He wasn't playing for a contract last year, the Jets had him signed long term. Maybe he was playing to insure his extension got picked up, I suppose.

Of course he was in a contract year last year - there were two possibilities given his contract - the Jets pick him up or let him become a Free Agent.

The Jets weren't going to pick up a $9 mil contract out of the goodness of their heart.

While it may be presumptuous of Law to claim that the Pats would have won the Superbowl if he had stayed on last year, I think that the team would have gotten farther along than we did. And we were only two games away from the superbowl.

The only thing I would question about his statement is whether he could have avoided some of those penalties. That probably had a lot to do with freelancing and not being in a system for long enough. He wasn't playing for a contract last year, the Jets had him signed long term. Maybe he was playing to insure his extension got picked up, I suppose.

I seriously don't think he was 'spitting' on anybody by making that statement, after all, he was cut. Yeah, he wanted more money because Champ Bailey had a huge contract, but he WAS let go, at the end of the day. I don't have a problem with his statement about winning the Superbowl last year.

Of course that presumes you could predict 6 DBs to the IR.

JOE6PAT: I included that possibility in my reply, and I stand behind my general belief that Law can be excused for saying what he said. ;)

Edit: If you assume that he took lots of chances so he could pile up stats for his contract extension, you are essentially explaining WHY he was playing bad team football in the first place. In other words, with a long term contract, maybe he could settle back into our system and cut out the penalties and freelancing.

Last edited:
Ray Clay: Ty Law is far better than any of those other guys, and what they did or did not do doesn't matter to me. I prefer Law to any of them, by a huge margin.

Law was talking in hindsight, so he was well aware of the injuries.

Can't we just sign Law and get this over with? This team's window is wide open, Law will be a huge step in getting banner # 4.

Unless Kansas City gives him a huge offer, we will probably have a shot at matching it.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Doesn't matter. He's also beting that one of 30 odd teams loses a starting CB to injury early in camp and their GM then panics, offering Law big bucks. Not a stupid strategy, especially if the Pats have indicated some form of willingness to sign him if available.

Most years that strategy isn't all that smart because need aside teams are by and large up against the cap. This year is different because of what the cap windfall created - multiple teams with space to burn. Last year he was a huge unknown because he was still noticably hobbled into August and as a result playing overweight. This year he has recovered sufficiently to complete his own off season training program with Bob Kearse.

Belioli knows it gains you nothing to push Ty for a financial decision. That just plays into the Poston's only hand which is the promise that something better will come along. He could show up here midway through camp and his talent and familiarity with the system would vault him to starting LCB. Then Hobbs, Samuel and Gay would be left to duke it out for the RCB, nickle and dime spots. In KC Surtain is #1 by virtue of his contract (which poses a philosophical financial problem for Ty) but there too he immediately vaults to RCB and his relationship with Herm and his D trumps any missed reps.

Only problem with waiting besides pissing off impatient fans is the team who develops sufficient need to overpay may be a team mired in suckitude and/or QB controversy like the one he played for last season. He says money aside (which Ty almost never says) he won't do that again. Pretty much rules out TN. And there is the issue of his kids being on the east coast. All in all just makes me think we are the front runner pending a better offer that we decline to match. And unless it constitutes an overpay, I think we match because he would be the #1 CB on this roster by a mile.

Did he freelance last season? Absolutely. But that was because he was playing for Mr. Motivation as opposed to the X's and O's genius who knows how to maximize his ball hawking skills while maintaining discipline within a scheme.

Last year we paid $6M+ for the tandem of a guy who once again couldn't get on the field and another who should never have seen the field in our uniform. Early on in this off season BB tried to sign Pittsburgh FA Deshea Townsend to be a starting corner and veteran leader in this backfield. So apparently he thinks we need one of those. When he opted to return to the Steelers we signed Warfield to a salary only fallback contract. Hobbs is a potential diamond in the rough. Asante is an enigma. Gay is like a phantom - we havent seen him play in over a year.

I think we need Ty Law. We could be OK without him, but I'd just as soon not roll those dice unless I have no choice.

Ray Clay: Ty Law is far better than any of those other guys, and what they did or did not do doesn't matter to me. I prefer Law to any of them, by a huge margin.

Law was talking in hindsight, so he was well aware of the injuries.

Well one of them was Rodney Harrison so I'll dispute that.

Plus there's were six that might have been healthy. I'm not disputing that Law was the only all pro cornerback of the bunch, but the question of whether we could win a SuperBowl without Law was answered the year before.

Could Law have been the difference to A Super Bowl last year? Yes.

Could a decent starting safety and/or cornerback been the difference also?
Yes.

Considering our injuries any good veteran defensive back available near the start of the season could have.

Ty is a former all pro. However he is also older with a worrisome injury for his position, (lis franc).

It seems the league has re-evaluated his worth and I would now pick him up at the right price.

Ray Clay, I agree with that, except for the part about Rodney. He can't play CB, as far as I know. Maybe better than Starks, however.

Rodney can't provide a year's worth of one on one coverage, and leadership only goes so far from a different position. You still need somebody to play CB at a high level.

But not to diss Rodney, because we could have made it further with a healthy Rodney. But that is not what Law meant when he said that he could have made a difference.

All I am saying is that in Hindsight, what Law said is not totally crazy or anything.

Last edited:
MoLewisrocks said:
Most years that strategy isn't all that smart because need aside teams are by and large up against the cap. This year is different because of what the cap windfall created - multiple teams with space to burn. Last year he was a huge unknown because he was still noticably hobbled into August and as a result playing overweight. This year he has recovered sufficiently to complete his own off season training program with Bob Kearse.

Belioli knows it gains you nothing to push Ty for a financial decision. That just plays into the Poston's only hand which is the promise that something better will come along. He could show up here midway through camp and his talent and familiarity with the system would vault him to starting LCB. Then Hobbs, Samuel and Gay would be left to duke it out for the RCB, nickle and dime spots. In KC Surtain is #1 by virtue of his contract (which poses a philosophical financial problem for Ty) but there too he immediately vaults to RCB and his relationship with Herm and his D trumps any missed reps.

Only problem with waiting besides pissing off impatient fans is the team who develops sufficient need to overpay may be a team mired in suckitude and/or QB controversy like the one he played for last season. He says money aside (which Ty almost never says) he won't do that again. Pretty much rules out TN. And there is the issue of his kids being on the east coast. All in all just makes me think we are the front runner pending a better offer that we decline to match. And unless it constitutes an overpay, I think we match because he would be the #1 CB on this roster by a mile.

Did he freelance last season? Absolutely. But that was because he was playing for Mr. Motivation as opposed to the X's and O's genius who knows how to maximize his ball hawking skills while maintaining discipline within a scheme.

Last year we paid $6M+ for the tandem of a guy who once again couldn't get on the field and another who should never have seen the field in our uniform. Early on in this off season BB tried to sign Pittsburgh FA Deshea Townsend to be a starting corner and veteran leader in this backfield. So apparently he thinks we need one of those. When he opted to return to the Steelers we signed Warfield to a salary only fallback contract. Hobbs is a potential diamond in the rough. Asante is an enigma. Gay is like a phantom - we havent seen him play in over a year.

I think we need Ty Law. We could be OK without him, but I'd just as soon not roll those dice unless I have no choice.

Normally I don't quote an entire post but that was right on target and worth re-reading.

And to those others in this thread, BB could not care less what Ty Law once 'said'.
Machs nix.

Ray Clay, I agree with that, except for the part about Rodney. He can't play CB, as far as I know. Maybe better than Starks, however.

Rodney can't provide a year's worth of one on one coverage, and leadership only goes so far from a different position. You still need somebody to play CB at a high level.

But not to diss Rodney, because we could have made it further with a healthy Rodney. But that is not what Law meant when he said that he could have made a difference.

All I am saying is that in Hindsight, what Law said is not totally crazy or anything.

Not crazy at all. That's not what I was implying. It's just that their defensive backfield was in total disarray.

Despite that, the coaches pulled it together both years. An experienced vet would have made a world of difference. They had bigger problems by the end of the year.

You could logically have said Antowain Smith would have led them to the Super Bowl. That doesn't mean I want to pick him up this year.:D

make it go away

pleeeeeease

no more talk about ty law

pleeeeeeeease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back