PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ty Law on Wes Welker (it's not just Bedard)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're not happy you put up, shut up and lay it all out on the field. Football is all about channelling your feelings and emotions on the field and turning it into something positive.

Football is a dictatorship and the HC is the dictator. You fall in line or, to put it pretty bluntly, ***** off.

Yeah, that's just nonsense.

I prefer that teams acknowledge when they've erred rather than blaming the underlings, yes. That has nothing to do with Holmes, but thanks for the red herring.

Without having the slightest idea what happened, you assume Belichick erred if Welker was healthy.

Do I have that right?

Last edited:
They signed her to field punt's. Lot of trouble getting her from the mansion in England but she finally arrived. Claims she wants to get away from children's books and do something new and invigorating.

I understand that the NFL said that brooms weren't approved NFL Equipment but Belichick stood up for her and offered to wear a cut off version of McGonagall's hat on the sideline against Baltimore.

To me it just looks like Welker and Hernandez swapped positions on the depth chart. That became even more apparent when Hernandez went out and Welker played way more.

This is true. Welker will see more with Hernandez out.

Yes, after all, wins don't matter. Having your best 53 on the field doesn't matter. What matters is discipline OFF the field. Belichick has the best record in the nfl. If he is willing to risk games by sitting guys like Welker and Dowling, that is his choice. Certainly, Ty Law understands the inner workings of this type of situation very well indeed.

If you would choose to sit the receiver who you CHOSE to pay $9.5M for one year's play, then I have little to say.

This is not high school or college, it is a business. Belichick has made a business decision. We may never know the why. What is clear is that the situation is NOW very different. After demoting Welker, Belichick now needs him a lot.

If that truly is the case, great job by the coaching staff. If Welker is being a spoilt brat over money or a change in philosophy, what example would you be setting in starting hm? This is a DISCIPLINE sport. Lack of discipline on or off the field is detrimental to the game and your team.

On a side note, assuming for one second that it is a discipline issue, I would point out that both times that Welker has sat early for discipline reasons, the Patriots have fallen behind early in games that they should have won, then gone on to lose.

If it is a discipline issue, then it must be pretty bad, because this would be the second game that it's probably cost the Patriots in the last few years.

Last edited:
Rowling and Welker playing soap on the rope in the shower ... :scared:

Yeah, that's just nonsense.

You're quite familiar with that term, given some of he stuff you spout out!

It's not at all...you have to have the right attitude in football and people react to different things in different ways. If Welker has been speaking out of turn then he'll get less reps...if he won't buy in to the system he will get less reps. I spoke out against my HC once..got me benched and sent out of practice...never did it again!

I personally don't think it's any of those. I think Edelman is being phased in over a guy thy don't project to be here next season....they need to develop someone.

Simplicity of it is that if Welker is having discipline issues in the face of his contract situation, then he needs to do everything that I stated; put up, shut up and knuckle down on the field. You've got more to lose than you have to gain by being a spoilt brat about it.

Belichick is in full control and he won't let people undermine his authority...it's a ing of a weak leader, hence the dictator reference. My HC used o use that line on me all the time.

Last edited:
So we are swapping Edelman in over a veteran all-pro who we are paying over $9M this year, and all because we don't expect Welker to be here in 2012. You do know that Edelman is a free agent after the season, the same as Welker. You certainly don't expect Edelman to accept anything but what the market will bring for his services. Edelman understands that the patriots are a business.

It's not at all...you have to have the right attitude in football and people react to different things in different ways. If Welker has been speaking out of turn then he'll get less reps...if he won't buy in to the system he will get less reps. I spoke out against my HC once..got me benched and sent out of practice...never did it again!

I personally don't think it's any of those. I think Edelman is being phased in over a guy thy don't project to be here next season....they need to develop someone.

Simplicity of it is that if Welker is having discipline issues in the face of his contract situation, then he needs to do everything that I stated; put up, shut up and knuckle down on the field. You've got more to lose than you have to gain by being a spoilt brat about it.

Belichick is in full control and he won't let people undermine his authority...it's a ing of a weak leader, hence the dictator reference. My HC used o use that line on me all the time.

Without having the slightest idea what happened, you assume Belichick erred if Welker was healthy.

Do I have that right?

No, I made my assumptions clear in my post in response to UK_Pat37 where he had made assumptions and I just used those assumptions as the parameters of my response. If it's a discipline issue over money or philosophy, you don't deal with that by limiting your player's snaps by formation. If his behavior is truly bad enough to warrant discipline, you bench him, fine him, suspend him, etc...

When it comes to speculation, I've been one thinking more along the lines of a lingering physical issue that's been hushed up.

Last edited:
As mentioned before, if that's the case then it's a gigantic mistake by the coaching staff.

Agree completely.

That said Welker was on EEI today and came across as a guy not in conflict with the coaching staff in any way.

Football is not a dictatorship. You claimed it was. That's nonsensical, since neither the teams nor the coaches are monolithic in their approach to such matters. Your response really doesn't address that, so there's really no need to get into the rest of it.

I've think this is more a philosophy/than a punishment .

While BB is in charge of all things, I do think he gives alot of latitude to his co-ordinators! (That's why he took so long nameing Patricia and O'Brien to their roles)

Prior to this happening the pats brought in every free agent TE since the beginning of the NFL for tryouts.
If Mike Ditka had passed his physical he'd be on the team :rolleyes:

Josh is obviously(with BB approval) trying to change up what the offense has been the last 4 years.

Weker will and should see more snaps now and IF(There is an actual attitude/Bad clubhouse pressence.....BIG IF))))

Then just around the time Hernandez is ready to come back,
Welker will find out how the catering is in Minnesota:eek:

So, are we supposed to believe that Bill Belichick would pay a guy 9+ million and then sit him out of spite? The same guy who put up with Law's insults, Mankins' insults, Seymour's insults and played all of them to the hilt is now getting pissy over Welker being franchised and is sitting him because he's pissed over that? BB is going to jeopardize the success of him and his team over that? Anyone buying that is an idiot. Just my opinion.

Well said!

Agree completely.

That said Welker was on EEI today and came across as a guy not in conflict with the coaching staff in any way.

Yeah that's where I'm coming from as well. It has to be some sort of lingering injury that they want to take it easy on him for in the early going. Anything else just doesn't make sense.

Alright guys, Pats fan from Manchester, England here.

The whole benching Welker situation really doesn't make any sense. I thought our offence was poor yesterday and really struggled to get going until Brady started throwing to Welker. It looks as if BB is trying to show Welker that they can live without him, which is pretty unnecessary because it was obvious that the Pats weren't getting any momentum until they threw to him.

Just watched BB's Monday press conference and the reporter twisted Wes's interview (which actually showed him as being a team player and not criticising his reduced number of snaps) into a way that made BB think that Wes was disgruntled. If his reduced role is due to disciplinary issues, then your Boston media isn't exactly helping. As vital as Edelman is as a squad member, let's face it, he's light years behind Wes.

Sort it out BB...and not just because I have Wes in my NFL Fantasy Team!

"The strength of the Wolf is in the pack"

If, for some reason, Welker's head is not in the game that week, a little wake up call may have been imposed.

I, for one, think that BB's management of team chemistry has been second to none over the years, so I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I can only recall one season where we went into the playoffs unprepared emotionally and that was because a key player (A. Thomas) didn't respond to some hints about his attitude and it carried over.

On the other hand, I see it on other teams all the time, all the time.

Let's see how things look in the second half and look back. When do we fade in the second half due to chemistry problems, and how often do the Jets, chargers etc.?

I'll trust Belichick to run his team, thank you very much.

Just watched BB's Monday press conference and the reporter twisted Wes's interview (which actually showed him as being a team player and not criticising his reduced number of snaps) into a way that made BB think that Wes was disgruntled. If his reduced role is due to disciplinary issues, then your Boston media isn't exactly helping.

I'm shocked! shocked, I say!

I'm still trying to figure out why it matters so much to the anal retention patriot fans ... Bill will play him where he wants, how he wants and when he wants. get over it .......... :mad::mad::mad:

every year ... it's the same speech ... takes Bill 6-8 weeks to get the team where he wants it.

Every year ...

Year after year ... it doesn't change ... that is how you stay ahead of the curve.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back