PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two Year Window to win 1 more Superbowl...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatSleepWinRepeat

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I know everyone wants to live in fantasy land that Brady will play until he's 45. But at the end of 2017 Brady will be 40 years old and a free agent. And Jimmy will be a free agent as well looking for a contract.

Now of course if the O-line doesn't get better, Brady will be lucky to survive the first game of the next season, let alone another trip through the playoffs. But if ever there was a time to splurge, wouldn't now be the time to go all in during Free Agency? Not only are we down two picks but we have most of our guys locked up and cap flexibility to sign just about anybody. Our defense is as good as it gets and in every playoff game we've lost over the past 9 years the one thing they all have in common is that in all of them we've failed to reach 20 points...

I get the sense Belichick understands that given the recent firings and the general sense of urgency it implies... Shouldn't we look to improve our O-Line in the draft and finally sign that big name WR/RB for this final stretch run at 5?

Last edited:
Early rumor from La Canforna is that they're going to rework/extend Brady anyways, thus rendering this conjecture moot.

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
I am a bit worried about losing Jimmy G---I think he really could be a play off caliber qb (we know no one will ever come close to replacing Brady), but Brady has a habit of outlasting his QBs of the future. But Jimmy G is the first who I think would maybe be a real loss. I thought Mallet had some of the tools, but he has a rep for immaturity coming out of college, and it showed at Houston.

I thought it was bizarre in the past when Brady said he'd shoot for 45, but after the past couple of years, I think it is conceivable, barring getting clobbered again, that he could still play at a play off level until tehn. But, we know the general track record is that QBs decline quickly, usually over a 2 year span, though they still show their occasional bright game here and there. But as we learn more about Brady's regimen, etc. it seems like at least 42 or 43 is very doable. Let's not forget that we've had decent reserve QBs to paly until that age or close (Testaverde and Flutie), and while respectably good NFL qbs, nowhere near Brady's caliber.

I know everyone wants to live in fantasy land that Brady will play until he's 45. But at the end of 2017 Brady will be 40 years old and a free agent. And Jimmy will be a free agent as well looking for a contract. Resigning Jimmy probably means starting him the second Brady begins to show decline so realistically the window is 2 years max.

Now of course if the O-line doesn't get better, Brady will be lucky to survive the first game of the next season, let alone another trip through the playoffs. But if ever there was a time to splurge, wouldn't now be the time to go all in during Free Agency? Not only are we down two picks but we have most of our guys locked up and cap flexibility to sign just about anybody. Our defense is as good as it gets and in every playoff game we've lost over the past 9 years the one thing they all have in common is that in all of them we've failed to reach 20 points...

I get the sense Belichick understands that given the recent firings and the general sense of urgency it implies... Shouldn't we look to improve our O-Line in the draft and finally sign that big name WR/RB for this final stretch run at 5?

Thanks for telling us, we appreciate it.

don't know what will be happening 6 yrs from now, but I'm 100% certain belichick wants to win the sb next year

What's wrong with 2 in 2? Just saying.......

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
What free agent receiver do you suggest they sign? Jeffries? He won't be worth the money. I'd rather they use money to extend Collins, Hightower and Butler.

The team is loaded next year. They will compete for a SB like they do every year. We are lucky that our team always has a chance. There was no rebuilding phase with having to deal with a losing record. They built one of the youngest and best defenses in the NFL and they have some key pieces coming back like Dion Lewis and Solder. Edelman and Gronk will be healthy and I bet they won't have to deal with:

4 different starting right tackles
2 different starting right guards
2 centers
3 left guards
4 left tackles

I think we'll make more noise in free agency than normal this year, but I doubt it's going to be what everyone considers "going all in".
Might have to Bronco the salary cap to do that. Looks a tad tight, I think Miguel's projections gave us like five mill restructuring a few and cutting Mayo. I think with seasoning the o line looks pretty good and they're pretty good in most areas in general.

Gotta decide if LaFell is worth keeping. I wouldn't change anything because he was a big player in winning a SB but, maaaan Emmanul Sanders would have done great things here if he had come here instead of LaFell. He's perfect for this offense.

I have no doubt the OP was saying Brady would be done already a few years ago, the people hung up on Bradys age now are the same ones who were worried about it years ago Truth is that he is playing as well now as he ever has and I will wait to start seeing actual decline before attributing it to him, which is exactly what I said two years ago , three years ago, four years ago.............

They have been making this argument for years and it was stupid then and is still stupid now.

I have no doubt the OP was saying Brady would be done already a few years ago, the people hung up on Bradys age now are the same ones who were worried about it years ago Truth is that he is playing as well now as he ever has and I will wait to start seeing actual decline before attributing it to him, which is exactly what I said two years ago , three years ago, for years ago.............

They have been making this argument for years and it was stupid then and is still stupid now.

Not at all but thank YOU foR mAking the ASSumption. Peyton had his greatest statistical year before falling off a cliff so waiting to see actual decline is a fools gamble.

I don't think the window closes in 2 years. With Brady, perhaps, but not for the team. There will undoubtedly be a dropoff from #12 to whichever qb receives the torch, but the defense is still very solid and you have excellent coaches managing the team.

As for a big name wr, they seem to love the small, shifty wrs like Edelman, Troy Brown, and Deon Branch. Brady has made these guys better (and they have helped him) and I don't think they'll go away from it while he's here. Perhaps his replacement will need a different breed of receiver, but that's to be determined. The running game has always been a complimentary piece here, at least for a while. They'll upgrade it this offseason, to be sure, but my guess is through the draft like they did with Ridley and Vereen.

I think the recent coaching moves have been BB trying to put the best possible staff together with no thought to time. The guys they've let go have had poor play/injury occurences and BB thinks he can do better.

think we were at about $12 capspace a couple days before season began, so does 'all in' mean we spend that 12 bux?

Jimmy might be good. Brady is great. If Brady continues to play at this level there isn't a choice. You can't cut or not sign Brady because of Jimmy's contract issues.

Can you imagine the forum if they let Brady go while the team is still in SB mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back