PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two weeks post-Moss thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved watching Moss in the time he was here but thinking back on it ( fair or not ) Moss has been involved on teams with extremely poor playoff track records.

Minny lost as a HUGE favorite in the '99 NFC championship game @home ( that year they set a record for most points scored on route to a 15-1 regular season record )

Minny got absolutely EMBARRASSED in a 41-0 playoff thrashing by the Giants ( never seen a team quit quite like this in the playoffs )

2007 SB ...nuff said

2010 Pats got trounced by the Ravens @home
The 2009 wild card Patriots team said hi

All some people here want is a bit of respect for a guy who was a huge part of an unbeaten regular season and we'd like people like you to GTFO!
He was a huge part of losing the superbowl, too. He and Mankins. He was and is a great player, but like many WRs, he was a friggin' diva. All his press conferences made me uncomfortable. Not just his post-Bengals narcissistic rant, but all of them. He put in a lot of effort, but face it: he asked for a trade in preseason (so his agent says) and he got his trade. He's gone, he's happy, and most of us are glad he's gone. For those who think a team is equal to the sum of its parts (hello, Dan Snyder), losing Moss made us weaker. For those who believe in synergy, we are a better team.

I like the post overall, but Milloy was hardly our best defensive player. He wasn't even our best defensive BACK. He wasn't even our best SAFETY.
Um, I don't know know about that.

After Willie Clay, Milloy played with the legendary Chris Carter and then Tebucky Jones.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think anybody on this board thought after the Buffalo week 1 massacre, "Damn, I wish Milloy was back".

Rodney Harrison made us forget him very quickly.

Last edited:
You're forgetting the Pats did him a favor. There was no love lost by trading Randy. I don't expect him to do anything special in that game.

Hopefully Farve forces bad passes and our secondary can pick a few..... Brett Farve will break his own interception record.:)

The 2009 wild card Patriots team said hi

They won the AFC East last year. The Jest were the wild card. That playoff game in January really isn't comparable to that 41-0 debacle. The Vikings didn't even try really. The Pats at least put forth a modicum of effort to score a few points.

Last edited:
He was a huge part of losing the superbowl, too. He and Mankins. He was and is a great player, but like many WRs, he was a friggin' diva. All his press conferences made me uncomfortable. Not just his post-Bengals narcissistic rant, but all of them. He put in a lot of effort, but face it: he asked for a trade in preseason (so his agent says) and he got his trade. He's gone, he's happy, and most of us are glad he's gone. For those who think a team is equal to the sum of its parts (hello, Dan Snyder), losing Moss made us weaker. For those who believe in synergy, we are a better team.
Blaming Moss for the Superbowl is just ******ed. It all came down to one ridiculous catch from Tyree at the end. And if you remember correctly they just managed to beat the Giants in the last regular season game that season so there was nothing between the two teams heading to the playoffs. I don't blame anybody for the Superbowl loss but if you want to go handing out blame then Jarvis Green and Richard Seymour let Manning get away from them and get off that throw.

Also Deion Branch left here over money but thats all forgotten about now. I don't have anything against Branch personally but there is a lot of hypocrites here who are dishing Moss over wanting to leave and lauding Branch now that he has a Patriots uniform back on.

Like get your house in order, no need for the disrespect. Regardless of the Superbowl 2007 will always have a very special place in my heart. It is as big to me as the Superbowl wins because we did something that nobody else has done in a 16 game regular season. It wasn't only that record that was broken, 50 touchdowns for Brady too and loads more stuff. Just awesome and Randy Moss was a huge part of that.

Last edited:
if you want to go handing out blame then Jarvis Green and Richard Seymour let Manning get away from them and get off that throw.

They are the last people I would blame, since on that play they were both being tackled around the neck by "blockers"

I think the OP isn't trying to be another Moss thread, it's trying to talk about how the team has redefined itself, finding a new identity.

The turning point was not the Moss trade, although everyone seems to see that as a milestone. To me, this is also about Moroney, Faulk, TWarren, Burgess, Adalius, Bodden, Mankins. Not only all the promising rookies like Cunningham, Hernandez, McCourty, Gronk, Deaderick, Zoltan, Spikes leaving their mark on the team, but a whole bunch of FAs and young players emerging on the team, Branch, Woodhead, Tate, Chung, Vollmer, Connolly, Ninkovich.

This team is entirely reformed for 2010, and still very much a work in progress and still a little uncertain about what it is.

On third down and long against the Ravens, Brady lofts a pass way over Branch's head, and Deon goes up to try and pull it in for what would have been a 5-yard gain. It was obvious watching that Tom intended the pass to go to Welker who was on a deeper out pattern and open, right at the sticks for a first down. Deon just didn't realize where Wes was, or that the pass wasn't for him and tried to make a play. Just an example of a guy that's not quite in rhythm yet.

Merriweather has been laying the lumber, but after the hit on Heap, you can see him trying to figure out what his game is. Rodney reported that he was coaching Merriweather not to cultivate a reputation as a dirty player, like he had. And in apologizing for the hit, and begging the media to move on, he seemed like a young player still trying to figure out how to use his skills on the field.

The coaches started sending Spikes on a run blitz pretty regularly in the Raven's game. That was new, and it plays to Brandon's strengths. It seemed to work well, and I think we may see that as a new feature in our base-D. Cunningham seemed to get a consistent and strong pass rush on a highly regarded young LT in Oher: that's new too. Fits and steps.

But if the team is still ironing out it's game, it's starting to lock down key components that work, one by one. Pass protection seemed to gel against Cinci. Against the Bills, we found our power running game behind BJGE. At Miami, we discovered that Ninkovich is strong in pass coverage, that we can dominate in the kicking game. Against the Ravens, we learned that Woodhead can carve up an elite front-7 in the running game. The pieces are starting to fit.

As these things get locked in place, they become tools in the toolkit for BB and the staff. We still haven't seen the ceiling of what this team can be. We still need to see consistency against 3rd and long. And there's a question mark whether BB has confidence in Gostkowski. They may be at their ceiling now, but I think we'll continue to see them get better and more confident as a team. As they figure it out, the swagger will follow.

Good news is that with all the on-the-job training that's going on, we're 4-1. That's pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes