PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two Utes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Vinny Gambini: It is possible that the two yutes...
Judge Chamberlain Haller: ...Ah, the two what? Uh... uh, what was that word?
Vinny Gambini: Uh... what word?
Judge Chamberlain Haller: Two what?
Vinny Gambini: What?
Judge Chamberlain Haller: Uh... did you say 'yutes'?
Vinny Gambini: Yeah, two yutes.
Judge Chamberlain Haller: What is a yute?
[beat]
Vinny Gambini: Oh, excuse me, your honor...
[exaggerated]
Vinny Gambini: Two YOUTHS.

OK, I'm not talking about the movie. I'm talking about Sean Smith and Paul Kruger.

As of now I would not be disappointed if we took both these guys, even Smith in the 1st round. Kruger looks more like Vrable than any college player I've seen this year. He's a Vrable like 6'4 and 265. He looks as if he could be a DE to OLB conversion.

Smith would be ideal at FS but also could be a top corner. It would be great if the Patriots could develope a big corner instead of the smurfs that they always seem to have as WR"s seem to be getting taller.

Thoughts?

now that is a great scene from a great movie. good job

I like both Utah players a lot, and actually had them going #1A and #1B to the Pats in a mid-January mock.

Sean Smith's been talked about a lot. He's one of my binkies, and I personally hope at this point that he's our pick at #23.

I also like Paul Kruger. He has a lot of good things going for him. Size, motor, intensity, character, intelligence. He's a bit older (2 years on a mission) and is without one kidney and a spleen, which could cause him to slip a bit. At 6'5" 265# his frame has room to grow a bit. My big question is whether he is a pure 4-3 DE (as some have claimed) or has the agility and athleticism to play in space and convert to 3-4 OLB. I could see him as an alternative to Connor Barwin at #47 or #58 if the Pats thought that he could play LB.

I like both Utah players a lot, and actually had them going #1A and #1B to the Pats in a mid-January mock.

Sean Smith's been talked about a lot. He's one of my binkies, and I personally hope at this point that he's our pick at #23.

I also like Paul Kruger. He has a lot of good things going for him. Size, motor, intensity, character, intelligence. He's a bit older (2 years on a mission) and is without one kidney and a spleen, which could cause him to slip a bit. At 6'5" 265# his frame has room to grow a bit. My big question is whether he is a pure 4-3 DE (as some have claimed) or has the agility and athleticism to play in space and convert to 3-4 OLB. I could see him as an alternative to Connor Barwin at #47 or #58 if the Pats thought that he could play LB.

I didn't realize that Kruger had those health issues. I guess we will have to see how NFL teams view them. He still stood out as a stud in the couple of game that I saw him.

I really do not see Smith fitting into the Pats system soI have no real interest in him.

Kruger is a bit older than most draftees, but he is an intriguing prospect. He has potential has an edge rusher and has some experience in coverage, but as a run defender, I worry if he can handle being a 3-4 OLB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes