Welcome to PatsFans.com

Two things that will "guarantee" the Pats franchise Cassel

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by ctpatsfan77, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,580 / 20 / -10

#3 Jersey

Basically, I can see two things that will make it very, very likely the Pats franchise Cassel:

(1) If he can lead the team to at least one post-season victory, his value will definitely increase. But, more importantly,

(2) The Patriots will do everything in their power to prevent this headline:

"Jets sign Cassel to replace Favre"

If there is any chance that this headline might come to pass, the Patriots will franchise tag him.

Thoughts?

2. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

(3) The headline, "Brady injury shows signs of trouble, may not be ready for start of season"

3. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +968 / 72 / -55

#50 Jersey

If there was going to be trouble with his ACL beyond the infection in the MCL, it would have surfaced already. And I am speaking as someone who had very similar issues with his ACL injury that Tom did.

4. JSn

JSn Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

Yeah, but a little speculation or worry (even) false, is all they need to avoid the hassle of being accused of misusing the franchise tag.

5. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

So are you telling me that don't have a greater risk of re-injuring you knee by say banging it into a table or twisting it the wrong way if you slip on ice than you did before the original injury?

6. hallfamebrady

hallfamebrady On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Three items to keep in mind.

1. The NFLPA and the owners are at odds and the franchise tag is an area od disagreement. Misusing the tag would add fuel to the fire even if Cassel is OK with it.

2. If the Pats tag Cassel and keep him in 2009, he would be a RFA in 2010 under the current collective bargaining agreement since one needs six years of service to be a UFA in the last year of a CBA.

3. I suspect teams are going to have some hesitation to give big money beyond 2010 with the uncertain situation with a lack of a CBA.

7. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

And BB will spend less time worrying about that impact, than you spent to type that sentence.

Will tagging him help the NEP win?

Next question, wait that is the only question.

8. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,580 / 20 / -10

#3 Jersey

Which does nothing to help them, since the RFA tender must be a minimum of 110% of the player's 2009 salary.

9. ALP

ALP Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +108 / 4 / -0

Lol, if cassel had a choice, i doubt that he would sign w/ the jets...

the pats and BB would humiliate him, they know his weaknesses way too well
    and i believe cassel may feel like he owes them even a little something

10. patsox23

patsox23 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0

Respectfully, pretty much all of these are questionable. There's no way the Patriots don't franchise and trade Cassel, and there will be multiple suitors no matter what the concerns about the CBA.

Teams know they need capable QB play - which Cassel has proven he can bring, in spades - to compete in the NFL. Impatient coaches/GMs would like prefer having a proven NFL vet like Cassel than the next JaMarcus Russell question mark. Or even a guy who may take some time to develop like a Rivers or Eli.

A guy like Jared Allen gets dealt for a #1 and we don't think we can get one for a top 10 quarterback who's been schooled in the best offensive system in the NFL and he EXCELLED in every kind of condition and under pressure? Really?

And in what way would we be "misusing" the tag? We can EASILY argue that we're unsure of Brady's health (at the time it's applied, which is February, not long from now) even though it's exceedingly likely that we will have all the internal medicals to give us comfort with trading Cassel.

We tag, we trade, we move forward. Suggesting this F.O. wouldn't do that, or that there might not be an excited market for a guy like Cassel, is laughable.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  11. jcdavey

jcdavey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

i'd think you'd want the jets to sign cassell

ex pats usually fail elsewhere

plus belichik would know all about him, and let's face it your HC is a genius

that eliminates one team you have to worry about in your own division, possibly for years to come

it's like sending ny a virus

12. hallfamebrady

hallfamebrady On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree with you. However, I am concerned the current CBA situation might play a role.

13. patsox23

patsox23 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0

I understand, but don't think there's much reason for concern. Teams need/value QBs no matter what the CBA.

14. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

As much as I am a huge fan of Cassel there would be something hugely enjoyable about Cassel eating up a huge quantity of Jets cap space while leading them to 4th place in the AFCE next year.

He is a system QB, what is there to expect that he would succeed in a system that Farve and Pennington failed in, both of which have done much better in else where.

15. sieglo

sieglo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0

Here's the way I look at it.

Cassel is a top 10 QB in this league. He may even be top 5. Teams lust after talent like that. The Pats can control Cassel's destiny to a certain point, and do it in a way that is Cassel friendly. Anyone who thinks there isn't enough of a market out there for this guy to justify application of the tag is nuts.

16. Sivy

Sivy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

cassel is gone at the end of the season.

17. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

(1) Silly. Cassel is the QB that he is regardless of if he leads the Pats to a post-season victory. If he even gets a chance to depends on how Favre plays. Pats will franchise him or not, but whether Cassel wins a playoff game will not be the deciding factor, and certainly not a "guarantee." You are confusing guarantee with opinion.

(2) Sillier. So the Pats franchise him. THey haven't stopped the Jets from getting him, just delayed it a year. Next year Cassel is a FA and the Jets sign him if they want.

If the Jets don't sign Cassel, they will trade for or sign someone else.

Is this how far Cassel has come? That he is the only good QB in the NFL? That the only way a team is a threat to the Pats is if they get Cassel? And that Cassel is so good that a team that gets him is better than the Pats with Brady?

As Charter founder of the Cassel Mancrush club, even I don't go that far.

And if Cassel was so good, what about Gute? Didn't you guarantee that GUte would have a better career than Cassel?

18. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,298 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

Wherever Cassel ends up, he will not be as good as he was as a Patriot. Mark it down.

19. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +179 / 2 / -3

That will be the justification for the tag whether its the case or not.

Using the tag just to stop a player from going to a rival or to co-opt a draft pick is not in keeping with the intent of the rule.

20. amazinPats

amazinPats Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I believe that if a team hires Josh McDaniels, they will push for Matt Cassell as well. And they will offer a lot in order to get him. I think the package deal concept is definitely a likelihood here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.