Welcome to PatsFans.com

"Two Terms are Enough"...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Oct 5, 2010.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

It is naive to believe that the posters on this board could ever achieve consensus on anything, but this is a very interesting idea... given the great political divide in this country an amendment will never pass.. this is an alternative.

Would prefer an amendment though.. with an accompanying adjustment to a life time pension & medical benefits.. a pension may be in order at a far reduced rate, but do not let it commence until the politician is 68 or so...

Two Terms is Enough

2. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The only problem I see is that then you'd have a revolving door of cronies and not enough "history" on each candidate to understand them... basically just names and facades... (worse than now anyway)

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

I'm all for term limits. Just make it so no pol can serve in the legislature, more than 12 years. That would ensure they have the opportunity to span 2 administrations minimum. No life long, 20, 30, 40 year, or till death servers in the house, or the senate.

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

We will not see term limits for the same reason we won't see campaign finance limits. Congress will not just jump off of the gravy train voluntarily. We need an ammendment to over-ride the USSC decision granting "personhood" status to corporations and PACs. We get the big money out of politics and term limits won't be an issue. Half the Congress will quit on their own to take a consulting job or return to private business once they get sick of "serving their country".

edit: RW, who's the chick?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  5. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I just don't know if term limits is the answer, but you are right about that life-long politician. Some reach a point that they are so senile, that their office makes the decisions (Strom). Do you think Robert Byrd wore diapers?
    Then, you have some of these old farts on committees when they are so out of touch. Ted Stevens, the Internet is a series of tubes............
    Thus, we need to at least circumvent the age discrimination. Two administrations seems reasonable to me.

6. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Someone here posted a few years ago that we do have term limits - they're called elections. And this statement got me thinking. Really, people should pay enough attention to know when someone is living off the system. So the needs for term limits shouldn't be there, as these slugs would simply be voted out.

I know, however, that this is not how our system works. The general populace is readily fooled by catchy slogans, untenable promises, and even familiarity. So I would not necessarily be opposed to term limits to prevent lifetime politicians.

7. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +685 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

At the very least, term limits expand the scope of the ruling class and make it a little more accessible for the hoi polloi. Campaign finance reform might do the same thing.

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Things will change someday "The Pigs" themselves will be the cause for the change the time grows closer, the people are getting madder, The Tea Partys are just the beggining, "The Pigs" both Democrat and Republican hate and fear the Tea Partys when it is they themselves who created the Tea Partys.

The Change Will Come.

9. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

...Hoi polloi?...:rofl:

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

Do we really know any of them now??? The problem is that all these newcomer reformers, quickly become them (the problem) once they fall under the influence of the lobbyists and the almighty dollar... they all talk a good talk, but soon they become "them" and just blend into the fiscally driven landscape of DC.

The whole system needs to change.. term limits, limits on financial contributions and lessen the impact of lobbyists...

11. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +685 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Educate

Here, I'll meet you halfway and make a post more in keeping with the spirit of this forum.

Liberals suck! You wanna fight?!

Better?

12. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Carefuly, he isn't a "liberal", he just believes exactly as they do.

13. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Nikolai-

That's Strudel, not wistah, who wants to rumble with everyone.

;)

14. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I know what it means. The fact that you felt the need to "educate" me adds to the sillyness of the use of that archaic and snobbish term. That's what I found humorous. It's not surprising considering you're the one who has professed the elitist caste religion that professes there will always be the rich leading and taking care of the poor...so it has always been, so it shall ever be, right? Or was that Khayos? No matter.

..."Hoi polloi"...RIOT!

"Liberal"...child-like oversimplification as usual.

15. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 8 / -8

Nah, it just shows that you don't say "hoi polloi" in conversation, or in written back-and-forth, and he does.

In the U.S., I find we have a lot more snobbish pride coming from guys wanting to call out other guys for using a perfectly good term they consider snobbish, than from the putative "snobs" themselves. We're so concerned w/being anti-intellectual in the U.S. that we don't realize we've set up a system of low-brow snobbery.

Yeah I said putative. Cope.