PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two TE sets a key in San Diego

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Not really news since Reiss's blog has shown us moving to more and more multiple TE sets, but this post from ESPN's Tim Graham shows the difference in Brady's effectiveness in San Diego.

Patriots' offense leans hard on multiple TEs - AFC East Blog - ESPN

ESPN Stats & Information found Patriots quarterback Tom Brady fared substantially better with two or more tight ends on the field. He went 16 of 24 for 130 yards and a touchdown (to rookie tight end Rob Gronkowski) and a 94.1 passer rating.

With one or no tight ends, Brady completed three of his eight passes for 29 yards and a 48.4 passer rating.

Reiss's positional grouping breakdown from the game shows that of the 10 snaps that didn't involve multiple TEs, 9 were with 3 WRs, 1 TE, and 1 RB, with a lone snap involving 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 FB and 1 RB, which I assume to have been a run.

That means 8 times out of 9 snaps with 3 WRs and 1 TE, we tried to pass the ball. Compared to multiple TE sets, we passed 24 times out of 51 snaps, a much more balanced attack. It makes me wonder if we need to run a bit more even with 3 WRs out there to keep a defense honest.

Hernandez's targets are up a few throws per game since Moss left, but I'd also like to see Gronkowski get more passes thrown his way. His season high in targets and catches is 3 against the Bills. But it seems like Branch has picked up where Moss left off. Though they're different types of receivers, Deion's gotten 20 targets over 2 games, including 8 last week (though he only caught 4).

It was evident that the success on offense was going to come down to the performances of Crumpler, Gronkowski and Hernandez during the Dolphins game and the moment Moss was traded.

Not really news since Reiss's blog has shown us moving to more and more multiple TE sets, but this post from ESPN's Tim Graham shows the difference in Brady's effectiveness in San Diego.

Patriots' offense leans hard on multiple TEs - AFC East Blog - ESPN

ESPN Stats & Information found Patriots quarterback Tom Brady fared substantially better with two or more tight ends on the field. He went 16 of 24 for 130 yards and a touchdown (to rookie tight end Rob Gronkowski) and a 94.1 passer rating.

With one or no tight ends, Brady completed three of his eight passes for 29 yards and a 48.4 passer rating.

Reiss's positional grouping breakdown from the game shows that of the 10 snaps that didn't involve multiple TEs, 9 were with 3 WRs, 1 TE, and 1 RB, with a lone snap involving 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 FB and 1 RB, which I assume to have been a run.

That means 8 times out of 9 snaps with 3 WRs and 1 TE, we tried to pass the ball. Compared to multiple TE sets, we passed 24 times out of 51 snaps, a much more balanced attack. It makes me wonder if we need to run a bit more even with 3 WRs out there to keep a defense honest.

Hernandez's targets are up a few throws per game since Moss left, but I'd also like to see Gronkowski get more passes thrown his way. His season high in targets and catches is 3 against the Bills. But it seems like Branch has picked up where Moss left off. Though they're different types of receivers, Deion's gotten 20 targets over 2 games, including 8 last week (though he only caught 4).

Yes - well the lack of Moss deep is definately going to allow the defenses to collapse... the question is how far they can collapse and whether Hernandez or any other WR might be able to keep them a bit honest.

I suspect there will be an upgrade at WR once the season is over but for now I think both Brady and Belichick are comfortable with a dink and dunk ball control game even if that means that defenses collapse. Welker will still get plenty of catches too and might even spring free himself.

My main concern right now is Crumpler.

Was he injured? Down the stretch he did't play well at all. And that may be part of why it was a mediocre day for Brady - Crumpler's blocking has been a big help and I think we need that now, especially with defenses collapsing more.

Yes - well the lack of Moss deep is definately going to allow the defenses to collapse... the question is how far they can collapse and whether Hernandez or any other WR might be able to keep them a bit honest.

I suspect there will be an upgrade at WR once the season is over but for now I think both Brady and Belichick are comfortable with a dink and dunk ball control game even if that means that defenses collapse. Welker will still get plenty of catches too and might even spring free himself.

Was he injured? Down the stretch he did't play well at all. And that may be part of why it was a mediocre day for Brady - Crumpler's blocking has been a big help and I think we need that now, especially with defenses collapsing more.

He got dinged up and had to come off the field for a few plays. It believe it was in the third quarter.

As far as finding an answer to that question, good luck.
How about a BB Q&A impression of his next press conference?

Q: What's the status with Alge Crumpler?
A. When the injury report comes out later this week I'll make sure you get a copy.

Q. How did Crumpler look in practice with his injury?
A. He's day to day.

Q. Can you elaborate on his injury and his condition?
A. I'm not a doctor, I couldn't comment on that.

Q. Will Alge Crumpler be playing Sunday?
A. It is what it is, the players that can play will play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back