PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two stories to tide you over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher_Price

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Hey everyone … it’s a usual Tuesday, which means no media availability. So instead, we’ve got a pair of links to stories I’ve done for other outlets. The first is my weekly column for “Patriots Daily,” which looks at the fact that when it comes to crisis management, no one holds a candle to Bill [...]

More...

Glad to have the links, Chris.
You write good stuff.

Great reads. Sic transit gloria. Gotta love it.

On that topic, do we need some trailing Tom Brady, whispering "Memento Mori" ?

R

Great reads. Sic transit gloria. Gotta love it.

On that topic, do we need some trailing Tom Brady, whispering "Memento Mori" ?

R

I like that! (I had to look it up--we get some Latin here in the press box, but not that much...)

I like that! (I had to look it up--we get some Latin here in the press box, but not that much...)

I never took Latin .... though I have seen every episode of HBO's Rome, however .....

Again great stuff.

R

sic transit gloria.....all fame is fleeting.

In ancient Rome,this is what a slave would
whisper in the ear of the victorious General,as he rode his chariot during a Triumph.

"all fame is fleeting"....or in the Belichick mantra:

Last week is over....what will you accomplish THIS week?

Chris-

Ref. your item 9. San Diego is still missing … something.

San Diego is a collection of many very talented individuals and most of the time this works out okay because the individual talents are so good. What I think is missing is that they are not a team, at least in the sense that a team is greater than the sum of the parts. What the Pats did was use their team to gang up on the individual parts of the Chargers. With the key individual parts neutralized, they became just another Pats team victim.

i like the way you write stuff with your keyboard chris.

Me likes a lot.:)

(seriously though, thank you)

Chris-

Ref. your item 9. San Diego is still missing … something.

San Diego is a collection of many very talented individuals and most of the time this works out okay because the individual talents are so good. What I think is missing is that they are not a team, at least in the sense that a team is greater than the sum of the parts. What the Pats did was use their team to gang up on the individual parts of the Chargers. With the key individual parts neutralized, they became just another Pats team victim.

With the Chargers, I'm constantly reminded of the No. 1 rule when it comes to team-building, one constantly referred back to by the Patriots: it's not about collecting talent, it's about assembling a team. Smith has managed to put together a great collection of talent, but I'm not sure they're really a great team in the true sense of the word.

sic transit gloria.....all fame is fleeting.

In ancient Rome,this is what a slave would
whisper in the ear of the victorious General,as he rode his chariot during a Triumph.

"all fame is fleeting"....or in the Belichick mantra:

Last week is over....what will you accomplish THIS week?

The full phrase is "sic transit gloria mundi" and, according to Wikipedia (and my very hazy recollection) it is spoken at papal coronations rather than Roman triumphs:

Sic transit gloria mundi is a Latin phrase that means "Thus passes the glory of the world". It is often interpreted as "Fame is fleeting."
Traditionally, Papal coronations are thrice interrupted by a monk (some say barefoot) holding a pole to which is affixed a burning piece of flax. After it finishes burning, the monk announces, "Pater sancte, sic transit gloria mundi." This is meant to remind the Pope that, despite the grandeur of the ceremony and the long history of the office, he is a mortal man.

Apologies for being a pedant. :bricks:

The full phrase is "sic transit gloria mundi" and, according to Wikipedia (and my very hazy recollection) it is spoken at papal coronations rather than Roman triumphs:

Sic transit gloria mundi is a Latin phrase that means "Thus passes the glory of the world". It is often interpreted as "Fame is fleeting."
Traditionally, Papal coronations are thrice interrupted by a monk (some say barefoot) holding a pole to which is affixed a burning piece of flax. After it finishes burning, the monk announces, "Pater sancte, sic transit gloria mundi." This is meant to remind the Pope that, despite the grandeur of the ceremony and the long history of the office, he is a mortal man.

Apologies for being a pedant. :bricks:

not at all....I'm also going by memory of my school years at Boston Latin School(100 yrs ago...wot!)

you're correct that 'sic transit gloria mundi was recited at papal coronations.

However,I find many sources for the phrase being used at Roman Triumphs.

Also.the phrase:respice post te,hominem te(consider what comes afterwards,and remember that you are but,a man).....
Is also referenced,as being spoken as a warning at Roman Triumphs.

Problem is....all these phrases seem to be apocraphal!

No scholar documents the derivation of this phrase during the Roman Empire..
They just all seem to cite it!

So,I think I'm going to chalk this one up to "Urban Legend",until further advised.

thanks though,this beats talking about
"Spygate"

However,I find many sources for the phrase being used at Roman Triumphs.

Also.the phrase:respice post te,hominem te(consider what comes afterwards,and remember that you are but,a man).....
Is also referenced,as being spoken as a warning at Roman Triumphs.

Problem is....all these phrases seem to be apocraphal!

I think this would depend on whether the sources predate Constantine and more so St. Jerome. If not, then I suspect we can trace most of these themes or perhaps even the phrases themselves to the Book of Ecclesiastes.

Regardless to the origin of these phrases, more than the phrases being apocraphal, I personally think they're more morbid in the sense that they remind us of our mortality as expressed in the phrase momento mori. However, this motif isolated from the its kindred phrases and motifs becomes incomplete for in the series of these phrases, there exists also redemption and resurrection. This is why these phrases and motifs were so popular in Renaissance and post-Reformation European culture.

For instance, the momento mori is signified by, say, Caravaggio in the form of a skull, an iconography that's not particular to merely Caravaggio but also to other great Italian Renaissance painters and sculptors. Whereas redemption and resurrection are signified by laurel, wheat, ivy and so on. We also see an exploration of death in Bach's cantatas or even an willingness to embrace death (plug: Ich habe genug aria sung by Lorraine Hunt Lieberson) that really cannot be described with words. Thus, vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas and sic transit gloria mundi in addition to the Hippocratic vita brevis ars longa, though it by far predates Constantine, represent a chain, a sequence or a quasi-canon of phrases and themes which profess humility, humbleness and the inexorable mortality that tempers the glory of being or great accomplishment/position. In words, we see all these themes far more fully developed in Dante's trilogy.

And with respect to Chris, given that this is afterall his thread appearing in a football forum, we see all that all these themes have confronted BB, Bruschi, Rodney and Richard Seymour of late though I hardly thing any one of them would have been pompous or pretentious as this post....:D .... in their presentation of these utterly human themes.

this beats talking about
"Spygate"

Absolutely! But then, what doesn't? :D

Yes, if Wikipedia is anything to go by, no one knows what the slave said, but the thing is: the Romans were big on glory (and fame and honour) provided that they had been justly earned, although they also thought that what goes up can come down, and so on. The idea that this world is vain and fleeting is much more the Christian thing. So my hunch is that whatever he said it wasn't that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes