PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two-round mock

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpatriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
By yours truly ;). There are some unorthodox picks here, so I have included commentary where it seems necessary. Note that I didn't do trades in this mock.

1 Houston Reggie Bush, RB, USC
2 New Orleans A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio St. They already have two DEs and a QB, so Leinart and Williams are out of the question.
3 Tennessee Matt Leinart, QB, USC
4 New York Jets D’Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia Williams might be a better player, but the Jets desperately need an offensive line.
5 Green Bay Mario Williams, DE, N.C. State
6 San Francisco Michael Huff, DB, Texas
7 Oakland Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon Warren Sapp is getting too old and their other players aren't anything special.
8 Buffalo Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland
9 Detroit Jimmy Williams, CB, Virginia Tech Their secondary could use an upgrade, though they arguably have bigger needs.
10 Arizona Winston Justice, OT, USC Clearly a huge reach, but they will need a good offensive line to make holes for Edge. A trade down here is more likely.
11 St. Louis Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa They need linebackers, and Greenway could fit their system.
12 Cleveland Kamerion Wimbley, LB, Florida St.
13 Baltimore Broderick Bunkley, DT, Florida St.
14 Philadelphia Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio St.
15 Denver Chad Jackson, WR, Florida
16 Miami Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida St.Saban takes a big chance on a boom-or-bust player.
17 Minnesota Vince Young, QB, Texas They will need a replacement for Brad Johnson and Young had no problem redshirting at Texas.
18 Dallas Jason Allen, FS, Tennessee
19 San Diego Tye Hill, CB, Clemson
20 Kansas City Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College DE to supplement Jared Allen.
21 New England DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis I'm sure people are screaming at me "Manny Lawson" but Williams is the best player available right now, period. Will have time to develop behind Corey.
22 New York Jets Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota The eventual replacement for Martin, and seems to fit the Jets system better than White.
23 Tampa Bay Marcus McNeil, OT, Auburn Another reach at a need position
24 Cincinnati Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia
25 New York Giants Ashton Youbouty, CB, Ohio St.
26 Chicago Marcedes Lewis, TE, UCLA
27 Carolina Lendale White, RB, USC
28 Jacksonville Jonathan Joseph, CB, South Carolina
29 Atlanta Ko Simpson, FS, South Carolina
30 Indianapolis Joseph Addai, RB, LSU
31 Seattle Manny Lawson, LB, N.C. State
32 Pittsburgh Sinorice Moss, WR, Miami
Second Round
33 Houston Eric Winston, OT, Miami
34 New Orleans Abdul Hodge, LB, Iowa
35 New York Jets Tamba Hali, DE, Penn St.
36 Green Bay Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio St.
37 San Francisco Gabe Watson, DT, Michigan
38 Oakland Thomas Howard, LB, UTEP
39 Tennessee DeMeco Ryans, LB, Alabama
40 Detroit Domonique Byrd, TE, USC
41 Arizona Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt They had to take him at this point.
42 Buffalo Darnell Bing, SS, USC In lieu of Lawyer Milloy.
43 Cleveland Richard Marshall, CB, Fresno St.
44 Baltimore Max Jean-Gilles, OG, Georgia
45 Philadelphia Jonathan Lewis, DT, Virginia Tech
46 St. Louis Davin Joseph, OG, Oklahoma
47 Atlanta Daryn Colledge, OT, Boise St.
48 Minnesota Donte Whitner, DB, Ohio St.
49 Dallas Deuce Latui, OG, USC
50 San Diego Andrew Whitworth, OT, LSU
51 Minnesota Ernie Sims, LB, Florida St.
52 New England D’Qwell Jackson, LB, Maryland Best ILB in the draft. Vrabel moves outside in this scenario.
53 Washington Charles Spencer, OG, Pittsburgh
54 Kansas City Rodrigue Wright, DT, Texas
55 Cincinnati Pat Watkins, FS, Florida St.
56 New York Giants Claude Wroten, DT, LSU
57 Chicago Jonathan Scott, OT, Texas
58 Carolina Maurice Stovall, WR, Notre Dame
59 Tampa Bay Kelly Jennings, CB, Miami
60 Jacksonville Joel Klopfenstein, TE, Colorado
61 Denver Demetrius Williams, WR, Oregon
62 Indianapolis Nick Mangold, C, Ohio St.
63 Seattle Derek Hagan, WR, Arizona St.
64 Pittsburgh Martin Nance, WR, Miamo (Ohio)

Last edited:
1. I think you should have a couple more teams draft AJ Hawk - he can definitely play for more than 2 teams.
2. I'd be disappointed if we didn't take Lawson.

1) The fact that you used BPA vs best VALUE available is fault number 1. Pats wouldn't pass up Manny Lawson to take Deangelo Williams.

2) D'Qwell Jackson is not an ILB. He's a MLB. There is a difference. Jackson doesn't have the frame to put on the extra 10-15 lbs he needs to play ILB in the Pats system.

This is a VERY strong draft for OLB and MLB. Its not a strong draft for ILB early on.

Where's Mario Williams?

dryheat44 said:
Where's Mario Williams?
Fixed...the Packers are be taking Mario Williams with pick 5.

DaBruinz said:
The fact that you used BPA vs best VALUE available is fault number 1. Pats wouldn't pass up Manny Lawson to take Deangelo Williams.
I am a big fan of Manny Lawson but, as you said, this is a VERY strong draft for OLB and we can find other good prospects later in the draft, including but not limited to Stanley McClover, Spencer Hayner and Mark Anderson.

the new york jets do not own denver's 22nd pick (yet)...though maroney remains a possibility for the spot, tamba hali is the likely pick (whom you have the jets taking in the second round, ironically)

if the jets need an offensive line, they'd be better off trading their #4 pick to denver for their #15 and #22 and taking TWO tackles of the board...they can draft the best guard or centre with their second round pick.

Fun and games doc!

drpatriot said:
By yours truly ;). There are some unorthodox picks here, so I have included commentary where it seems necessary. Note that I didn't do trades in this mock.

1 Houston Reggie Bush, RB, USC To conservative - Fergusen would have been my pick.
2 New Orleans A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio St. They already have two DEs and a QB, so Leinart and Williams are out of the question. I like the curve ball!
3 Tennessee Matt Leinart, QB, USC
4 New York Jets D’Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia Williams might be a better player, but the Jets desperately need an offensive line. True, but they also have picks 29 and 35, they can start building an O-line for good money right there - but a Mario Williams talent is right up the BB protege creek.
5 Green Bay Mario Williams, DE, N.C. State
6 San Francisco Michael Huff, DB, Texas You'd hope Nolan knows to build from the line out and takes Ngata, but his loss.
7 Oakland Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon Warren Sapp is getting too old and their other players aren't anything special. They have gone back to the 4-3 and a penetrating one-gap defense to take advantage of what little Sapp still has in the tank. I'd think Broderick Bunkley would be more their style, but don't forget, their QB is Aaron Brooks...
8 Buffalo Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland Good thinking, no O-line worth the pick available, Bunkley - since you haven't used him yet - would have also been a good choice.
9 Detroit Jimmy Williams, CB, Virginia Tech Their secondary could use an upgrade, though they arguably have bigger needs. Word is his Pro-Day sucked and his attitude at the Combine had people penciling him in as trouble, he is slipping out of the first round in some mocks, but then this is Matt Millen's team.
10 Arizona Winston Justice, OT, USC Clearly a huge reach, but they will need a good offensive line to make holes for Edge. A trade down here is more likely. Don't reach for a LT, you've used up only 1 of the 3 top QBs and Denny Green has nobody significant behind Warner.
11 St. Louis Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa They need linebackers, and Greenway could fit their system.
12 Cleveland Kamerion Wimbley, LB, Florida St. Lawson is the better edge rusher by the statistics, and he has more room to put on some weight and still keep his speed.
13 Baltimore Broderick Bunkley, DT, Florida St.
14 Philadelphia Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio St.
15 Denver Chad Jackson, WR, Florida I'm still inclined to think they would love a young QB behind Plummer, but your choice works.
16 Miami Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida St.Saban takes a big chance on a boom-or-bust player. If he gets Arrington this would be a very likely pick. But if you put a QB in AZ, Justice would also be tempting here.
17 Minnesota Vince Young, QB, Texas They will need a replacement for Brad Johnson and Young had no problem redshirting at Texas.
18 Dallas Jason Allen, FS, Tennessee
19 San Diego Tye Hill, CB, Clemson
20 Kansas City Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College DE to supplement Jared Allen.
21 New England DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis I'm sure people are screaming at me "Manny Lawson" but Williams is the best player available right now, period. Will have time to develop behind Corey. Gotta agree with Dabruinz, good OLBs later get 4 years to be productive, here you get an extra year - value. RBs just don't worry me.
22 New York Jets Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota The eventual replacement for Martin, and seems to fit the Jets system better than White. Whoops, the Jets pick at 4 and 29, this is Denvers - Perhaps, but if they need O-line, start with the trenches and give CuMar & Blaylock a little help.
23 Tampa Bay Marcus McNeil, OT, Auburn Another reach at a need position
24 Cincinnati Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia DL or LB for a defensive coach.
25 New York Giants Ashton Youbouty, CB, Ohio St.
26 Chicago Marcedes Lewis, TE, UCLA
27 Carolina Lendale White, RB, USC
28 Jacksonville Jonathan Joseph, CB, South Carolina
29 Atlanta Ko Simpson, FS, South Carolina They've lost their LT to Cleveburgh, besides this pick belongs to the J E T S.
30 Indianapolis Joseph Addai, RB, LSU
31 Seattle Manny Lawson, LB, N.C. State
32 Pittsburgh Sinorice Moss, WR, Miami
Second Round
33 Houston Eric Winston, OT, Miami
34 New Orleans Abdul Hodge, LB, Iowa Hawk and Hodge? And you've got an offensive coach who just bought Drew Brees.....
35 New York Jets Tamba Hali, DE, Penn St. I hope so, but I'd think Carpenter would fit better with Mangini's 3-4 - and you've still only made one move for their decimated O-line.
36 Green Bay Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio St. Two defensive players? Lord Favre won't stand for it!
37 San Francisco Gabe Watson, DT, Michigan
38 Oakland Thomas Howard, LB, UTEP
39 Tennessee DeMeco Ryans, LB, Alabama
40 Detroit Domonique Byrd, TE, USC
41 Arizona Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt They had to take him at this point. A steal and very unlikely to last this long!
42 Buffalo Darnell Bing, SS, USC In lieu of Lawyer Milloy. O-line is the greater need.
43 Cleveland Richard Marshall, CB, Fresno St.
44 Baltimore Max Jean-Gilles, OG, Georgia
45 Philadelphia Jonathan Lewis, DT, Virginia Tech
46 St. Louis Davin Joseph, OG, Oklahoma
47 Atlanta Daryn Colledge, OT, Boise St. Rats, I wanted him!
48 Minnesota Donte Whitner, DB, Ohio St.
49 Dallas Deuce Latui, OG, USC
50 San Diego Andrew Whitworth, OT, LSU
51 Minnesota Ernie Sims, LB, Florida St.
52 New England D’Qwell Jackson, LB, Maryland Best ILB in the draft. Vrabel moves outside in this scenario. Like Dabruinz said, MLB vs ILB, the kids plays 15 lbs lighter then Tedy, and you don't need as much speed when you only cover half the field - too early to take a SS conversion either. The next pick would make more sense or Mike Hass.
53 Washington Charles Spencer, OG, Pittsburgh
54 Kansas City Rodrigue Wright, DT, Texas Secondary still sucks.
55 Cincinnati Pat Watkins, FS, Florida St.
56 New York Giants Claude Wroten, DT, LSU A drug dealer for Coughlin? Oh My!
57 Chicago Jonathan Scott, OT, Texas
58 Carolina Maurice Stovall, WR, Notre Dame
59 Tampa Bay Kelly Jennings, CB, Miami
60 Jacksonville Joel Klopfenstein, TE, Colorado
61 Denver Demetrius Williams, WR, Oregon
62 Indianapolis Nick Mangold, C, Ohio St. What a steal! How did he get by Denver or the J E T S?
63 Seattle Derek Hagan, WR, Arizona St.
64 Pittsburgh Martin Nance, WR, Miamo (Ohio)
doc, thanks for putting in the time and effort, it has been fun disagreeing with you and looking at things from your perspective! :rocker:

ayjackson said:
if the jets need an offensive line, they'd be better off trading their #4 pick to denver for their #15 and #22 and taking TWO tackles of the board...they can draft the best guard or centre with their second round pick.
I agree, but i decided not to include trades in this mock because they need a willing partner. Why would Denver want the #4 pick instead of two mid-round picks?

drpatriot said:
I agree, but i decided not to include trades in this mock because they need a willing partner. Why would Denver want the #4 pick instead of two mid-round picks?
If they thought their best move was to grab Plummer's replacement or they wanted AJ Hawk/Michael Huff. Thoughts to ponder....

drpatriot said:

mario williams would be the answer to that question....or even jay cutler

Box_O_Rocks said:
If they thought their best move was to grab Plummer's replacement or they wanted AJ Hawk/Michael Huff. Thoughts to ponder....
I thought about this, but Jake Plummer is only 31. He is also under contract with the Broncos through 2009. The earliest the Broncos will begin looking for his replacement, especially in the 1st round, is next year.

ayjackson said:
mario williams would be the answer to that question....
I'll concede on this one, especially because he is so likely to fall to spot #4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes