PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two questions on kick returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
(1) What would happen if a kick returner, trying to field a kickoff, ends up with his foot out of bounds in the back of the endzone while he has the ball?

(2) What would have happened if Antonio Cromartie had done the same thing on his record-setting FG return?

Touchback.

If a player has his foot out of bounds between the end zones when he picks up the ball, the ball is considered out of bounds and a penalty is assessed.

In both those cases I believe the result is a touchback.

In both those cases I believe the result is a touchback.

Correct. If a players momentum carries them OOB it is a touchback. For a non-kick example of this, see Samuel's second int against Philly. He took three steps in the EZ after making the catch and then just ran OOB.

I think if Cromartie's foot would have been out of bounds when he caught the ball, the ball would have been placed at the spot of the kick, since it's just a missed FG at that point.

On a kickoff return it's definitely a touchback.

I think if Cromartie's foot would have been out of bounds when he caught the ball, the ball would have been placed at the spot of the kick, since it's just a missed FG at that point.

On a kickoff return it's definitely a touchback.

Yea, with the FG return it depends on when his foot steps out of bounds. Let's say he catches the missed fieldgoal, takes two steps, then steps out of bounds. That's a touchback. If Cromartie had stepped out of bounds while trying to catch the ball, then it's simply a missed fieldgoal, and the ball returns to the spot of the kick.

Obviously it's a touchback if you step out of bounds in the endzone during a KR.

I noticed on the Samuel interception against Philly, it looked like he easily could have stopped before running OOB, but jogged OOB. Since no one commented on it, I assumed that was a touchback.

What if he runs around in the EZ and gets tackled? I assume it's still a TB as long as he never brought it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back