PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two Old Drunks Scoffing At TB12's Nutritional Regimen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my wife's mon and sister over. I had bought a gallon of ice cream. Usually lasts 3-4 weeks. I'll have a small bowl once or twice a week. The day after I got it I open up the freezer and it's gone. I asked where it went and she said the two of them are it that day.

I was like, who eats s half gallon of ice cream in one sitting? That's like 4 large blizzards from DQ?

My wife said that's just how her family is. When they eat cereal they get a big Tupperware bowl and eat almost a whole box of frosted flakes.

I'm no health guru, it was just always common knowledge in my world you didn't make a full meal out of sugary treats. A little moderation. It just strange to me people eat like that.
Holy crap!

Dietary & intake discipline is real hard for some people. At that point it's not about satisfying hunger. It's something else.

I don't know many people who don't binge, at least on occasion. In fact, I can't think of even one offhand.
What I'm saying is that to them is a normal serving of ice cream. Or a normal serving of cereal.

Holy crap!

Dietary & intake discipline is real hard for some people. At that point it's not about satisfying hunger. It's something else.
I could sit down and eat a whole bag of chips, and I have on occasion. But I know that's not a lunch, and I feel a bit guilty. I think some people just maybe have bad eating habits and maybe don't even think it's strange or not healthy.

I could sit down and eat a whole bag of chips, and I have on occasion. But I know that's not a lunch, and I feel a bit guilty. I think some people just maybe have bad eating habits and maybe don't even think it's strange.

Yep I'm the same way. Potato chips are my vice. I love salt. Never really been a candy, cookies, cake person. Not really ice cream either..except the cookie dough heroin that I mentioned earlier. Like you I'll have a bowl every now and then. Just to curb the craving.

The key is being not only knowledgeable of the appropriate quantity and quality but actually giving a crap.

Tom’s a terrific athlete and I value his opinions on football.

Curt Schilling was a terrific athlete and I value his opinions on baseball.

Tom Cruise is a terrific actor and I’d likely value his opinions on acting.

That doesn’t mean I give a rat’s ass about any of their thoughts about religion, science, or for whom I should vote, among other things. And that’s just fine! I appreciate them for what they do well and I don't assume that they are Gods to emulate.
The thing is that nutrition and lifestyle contribute to physical fitness which in turn contributes to athletic performance and longevity. So yes, given his record, anything Brady says about it is worth considering.

Pfft. Kidney stones. Give me a break. I have many many kidney stones (passed three this weekend). For those who are genetically predisposed, there is no cure. And for those who have their first at 54 - no worries, you'll die before you form another.

Eating well helps keep people healthy. That is legit. But there are many examples of people who eat well and die young as well as many who eat poorly and last 90+ quality years. Genetics is much more responsible for all of this than eating well.

But again, as long as Brady keeps fit it seems like he'll keep winning and that is all I care about. That and the fact I'm glad I don't endorse Guerrero.
There's no cure for bad genes, but you can reduce risk via lifestyle.

Cutting out processed foods and eating plenty of nutrient-dense vegetables in preference to high sugar & high carb food is very good for you.

Labeling it as some sort of blood pH effect is what is bunk. If your body detects blood pH below 7.35, it regulates it upward before you die. If your body senses blood pH above 7.45, it regulates it downward before you die.

The whole idea that acid = bad comes from the Warburg effect, in the 1920's, when a doctor noted that tumors have a lower-than-normal pH microenvironment. Some took this (and still take it) as meaning that "acidity causes cancer".

In reality, tumors are humongous energy hogs and use an alternative energy pathway, called aerobic glycolysis, to make extra ATP. What waste product is generated in glycolysis? Lactic acid. Tumors pump out this lactic acid by active transport, acidifying their exterior. Thus extracellular acidification is a consequence, not a cause, of cancer.

Lactic-Acid-Fermentation.jpg

Why do I know this? My main research project is looking for compounds that block the lactic acid export pumps of tumor cells. Block them & the tumor either dies or stops growing. Not many other cell types use these same lactic acid export pumps, so the general idea has some promise.
We really do have the smartest sports forum :)

It's western medicine vs chinese medicine. Chinese medicine gives you herbs and potions, western medicine
identifies the ingredient in the herb, spends years doing exhaustive studies with testing on animals and humans before being approved by the FDA. They then market the pills and charge whatever the market can bear. Western medicine will sell you a pill that cures or helps a condition or disease but also tells you that it may cause internal bleeding, sudden death, erections that last eight hours and may be harmful to your health, etc. As far as I know, chinese herbs and potions haven't killed anyone and helpful to many. Due to the placebo effect, thinking it helps is probably just as effective as the ingredient in it. I don't know that much about Guererro beyond the article but I don't see where his products have done anybody harm and probably from just looking at Brady, that they actually may have some benefit.

wait...we're off the "Brady is a slimy cheating scumbag deflator!" idiocy and now we're on the "Brady uses fake placebos to cheat the entire world!!" ?...really...THIS is why any of you are football fans? to cry and moan about the nutrition regimen Tom Brady follows?? He's a rotten scumbag cheater for THIS SHYT now?

WTF is wrong with the world?

Evidently Tomase created the wording for the poll:

Did Tom Brady go too far in Monday's discussion about healthy living?

• No, he's absolutely right to defend a cause in which he believes (90%, 422 Votes)

• I don't know, but why isn't Frosted Flakes a real food? (7%, 33 Votes)

• Yes, comments like calling Coca-Cola 'poison for kids' crosses the line (3%, 15 Votes)
Total Voters: 470

. This poll makes me hungry [tomase gobbles 3 boston cream pies].

He has every single right to defend whichever cause he likes. Brady did nothing wrong. Guerrero however did do something wrong on both a legal and ethical level. And I, and the WEEI guys, have every right to bring it up.

That being said it is a sports radio station and this is a sports forum so I see no need to continue discussing it any further.

Last edited:
For the thread, here's the FTC complaint about coral calcium, which is what Guerrero was named in:

Edit: I had no idea that whole thing would embed. Bizarre... I find this, like the new Twitter embed, to be undesirable, but it's there for everyone's edification.

I am in the who gives a flying f..ck about this, Brady has been a remarkable athlete and his conditioning is superb.. but the conditioning has to be complimented by a diet regimen, which he believes in..

Remember the piece last year about Brady's eating habits, avocado ice cream.. hot diet and cold diet?? No one cared about that,now all of a sudden they need controversy to satiate some innate need.

The problem is that most of us are conditioned to believe that Western Medicine and the belief in curative medicine is better than alternative preventive medicine.. everyone has a choice on what they believe in, Brady believes in this and it works, so who cares. The answer is not necessarily another pill... bet if you polled any of the "premier" athletes in the NFL they all have some different beliefs than the norm.

The problem with all of this was that Tanguay and Tomase(butthole) were linking Guerrero and Brady to PED's and assuming that because he is a "premier player" the NFL looks the other way.. sheer idiocy.

This will all morph into Brady is cheating by ingesting something or other, and more controversy will ensue.. ESPN or some other biased source will make comments about this and the lemmings will just follow.

No, it's not. Eat a more balanced diet with a higher percentage of leafy greens, vegetables, fruits, and unprocessed foods, and you're going to see improvements in your health -- one of those specific areas being inflammation.

Perhaps, but it's not because of blood pH changes.

Blood pH is one of the most tightly-regulated bodily parameters. Almost nothing you can do can change blood pH very much for other than the very short term, and when something happens that does manages to move the pH needle long-term it is invariably bad.

Last edited:
As far as I know, chinese herbs and potions haven't killed anyone and helpful to many.

Forgot about ephedra/ma huang, eh?

For the thread, here's the FTC complaint about coral calcium, which is what Guerrero was named in:

Edit: I had no idea that whole thing would embed. Bizarre... I find this, like the new Twitter embed, to be undesirable, but it's there for everyone's edification.

So wait, Alex was one of many people involved in a company that was found guilty of making false claims? How are people hanging that solely on his head?

Tim Hasselbeck at it again. What an idiot.

Out and about this morning in the 10-2 range, the mediots are insufferable.. it is non stop Guerrero/Brady... Between the "desperately needing attention Bertram" and "Know it all Ordway" they are making me nuts.. Was Minihane rude to Brady or was he doing his job?? Is Guerrero a snake oil salesman or is western medicine really the culprit complete with some made up statistics??Stay tuned as these and other questions will be answered on "As The Sportstalk Radio Turns"...like sands in an hourglass..

What every happened to Patriots talk???.. it has been reduced to the short attention theater or the crisis of the week.. it sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back