PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two new (I hope) angles on 'pouring it on'

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldEnglandPatriot

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
[Apologies if these are not new points at all]

1. Last night's game proved that the Pats do draw a line in how far they 'run up the score'. It's just that they draw the line a little further out than many people. BB doesn't see the game as over and won at 37-7 or 42-10, and that is his prerogative. But taking starters out in the 4th quarter, running the ball repeatedly in the second half, and punting on 4th and 1 in the Bills' half towards the end of the game prove that BB and the Pats are not out to remorselessly humiliate opponents.

2. Speaking from my own experience, I have been on (soccer) teams that have been beaten out of sight many a time. I always felt far more 'disrespected' by opponents who pulled their best players early and started playing keep-ball rather than trying to score, than by teams who just kept on playing.

The fans were booing the Patriots last night when they went for it on 4th down.

If they looked up at the clock, they would have seen that the time on the clock showed 9 minutes still left to play in the third quarter.

[Apologies if these are not new points at all]

1. Last night's game proved that the Pats do draw a line in how far they 'run up the score'. It's just that they draw the line a little further out than many people. BB doesn't see the game as over and won at 37-7 or 42-10, and that is his prerogative. But taking starters out in the 4th quarter, running the ball repeatedly in the second half, and punting on 4th and 1 in the Bills' half towards the end of the game prove that BB and the Pats are not out to remorselessly humiliate opponents.

2. Speaking from my own experience, I have been on (soccer) teams that have been beaten out of sight many a time. I always felt far more 'disrespected' by opponents who pulled their best players early and started playing keep-ball rather than trying to score, than by teams who just kept on playing.

Honestly, I think the main reason the Pats were punting on 4th and 1 when it did was to get some practice with the pooch punt in a game-like situation.

When the game's so one-sided, situational football like that won't be necessary, so the team has to fit it in in odd scenarios.

Just think. If scoring too many points is our biggest problem all year, how fortunate we are.

I think if you injected opposing fans with truth serium, they'd probably admit the Pats are doing nothing wrong.

Cripes, are they suppose to stop playing at half time? You can't do that.

Brady sits for almost the entire 4th quarter, the Pats punt on 4th and an inch from the Bills 30, and they are pouring it on? That makes no sense.

When I was a kid, I remember teams with large leads kicking FGs on 4th down and getting pummelled for it in the press. Now the Patriots DON'T add on chip shot FGs, and there's is this cry about "going for it on 4th down is piling on". It's disingenuous.

if the press didnt make such a big deal about it...the bills fans wouldnt have had such a reaction.

but hey...its the only thing BB has left them to critisize. and that we are not a cold weather team. lucky the temp didnt dip below 32 last night or we were done for ! :D

yeah... a lot of this is media driven, no doubt...it is what it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back