Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Hitting quarterbacks below the knees when they have both feet on the ground will be a 15-yard penalty.

-- We all know this stems from Kimo's hit on Carson Palmer in the playoffs. But it seems to me that any defender in position to hit a QB that way is moving on momentum beyond his control to begin with. So consequently, this more often than not would be unintentional contact. Even if it wasn't, I don't see why a defender stumbling forward after being blocked shouldn't be able to hit the QB low. Is grabbing him by the ankle a no-no too? An example of this would be Reggie White's sack on Bledsoe in the '97 Super Bowl, where he swept Max Lane aside with one arm and tumbled into Bledsoe low, grabbing both legs with a good tackle. Would that have been flagged under this rule? Stupid rule.

Last edited:
Tunescribe said:
Hitting quarterbacks below the knees when they have both feet on the ground will be a 15-yard penalty.

-- We all know this stems from Kimo's hit on Carson Palmer in the playoffs. But it seems to me that any defender in position to hit a QB that way is moving on momentum beyond his control to begin with. So consequently, this more often than not would be unintentional contact. Even if it wasn't, I don't see why a defender stumbling forward after being blocked shouldn't be able to hit the QB low. Is grabbing him by the ankle a no-no too? Stupid rule.

“Horse collar†tackles on a jersey or pads from behind will result in a 15-yard penalty, unless it’s a quarterback in the pocket or runner in the tackle box.

-- Now you can't even grab a player up high by the jersey?! Yet another small step toward flag football.

I thought the QB-Low rule was stupid until I thought about how many times Tom's been hit low and been spared a major injury. I'm glad for the rule as it'll keep our Million Dollar Man upright and passing longer. Our Defenders don't really employ those tactics anyway so I have no problem with it.

The Horsecollar I'm glad for. It's a tackle tactic that is an excuse not to wrap up correctly and a horrible risk for injury. The evidence is all over the place about how dangerous that tackle style is, so if you want to understand it better just do some research. I was glad when they made it a rule last season, and pissed when they didn't enforce it (hello Joey Porter in the Superbowl).

I'm glad for both of those rules.

-- We all know this stems from Kimo's hit on Carson Palmer in the playoffs. But it seems to me that any defender in position to hit a QB that way is moving on momentum beyond his control to begin with. So consequently, this more often than not would be unintentional contact. Even if it wasn't, I don't see why a defender stumbling forward after being blocked shouldn't be able to hit the QB low. Is grabbing him by the ankle a no-no too? An example of this would be Reggie White's sack on Bledsoe in the '97 Super Bowl, where he swept Max Lane aside with one arm and tumbled into Bledsoe low, grabbing both legs with a good tackle. Would that have been flagged under this rule? Stupid rule.

“Horse collar†tackles on a jersey or pads from behind will result in a 15-yard penalty, unless it’s a quarterback in the pocket or runner in the tackle box.

-- Now you can't even grab a guy by the JERSEY up high? Just another small step toward flag football.

The Steelers are good at the below the knees tactic. Last year it was Kimo on Palmer, in 2001 it was Flowers on Brady.

Last edited:
Instead of another rule to "protect" the QB, how about enacting a rule whereby the Alex Gibbs/Denver Broncos blocking at/below the DL's knees cheapshot is outlawed. This form of OL cowardice is the single most dangerous tactic that is still allowed to occur.

Tunescribe said:

OK, where's the second crappy rule change? :confused:

Tunescribe said:
“Horse collar” tackles on a jersey or pads from behind will result in a 15-yard penalty, unless it’s a quarterback in the pocket or runner in the tackle box.

-- Now you can't even grab a guy by the JERSEY up high? Just another small step toward flag football.

I'm pretty sure you can't grab a guy inside the jersey or shoulder pads and drag him down. Grabbing him by the jersey is probably acceptable. That said, this should be a rule, as these type of tackles are very dangerous.

Last edited:
godef said:
OK, where's the second crappy rule change? :confused:

I had to re-post my original post because the system somehow deleted it. See above.

Brownfan80 said:
IOur Defenders don't really employ those tactics anyway so I have no problem with it.

Didn't Seymour roll into Carson Palmer during a game in Dec. '04? That would be called with this new rule. As it was, I thought he was going to get hit with a late hit call.

This was also for the zach thomas hit on griese's knee's that popped his ACL....

I also heard that it it's not a penalty if an o-lineman is pushing the tackler...

bresna said:
Didn't Seymour roll into Carson Palmer during a game in Dec. '04? That would be called with this new rule. As it was, I thought he was going to get hit with a late hit call.

Addendum to my post: Our guys don't practice the tactic of INTENTIONALLY going at a QB low. ;)

The thing about all the rule changes I don't understand is I thought the rules were supposed to let the refs make less subjective decisions not more. The "playing until the ball is dead instead of the whistle", the "pulling down by the jersey" are more example of letting the refs say "in my view this was a penalty" instead of this person did THIS therefore it IS a penalty.

PatsRI said:
The thing about all the rule changes I don't understand is I thought the rules were supposed to let the refs make less subjective decisions not more. The "playing until the ball is dead instead of the whistle", the "pulling down by the jersey" are more example of letting the refs say "in my view this was a penalty" instead of this person did THIS therefore it IS a penalty.

I agree with you 100 percent. The only plausible solution would be having another ref in the press box reviewing every call that falls under these categories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back