PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two minutes left, would you rather be down 4pts with the ball or up 2pts defending?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Two minutes left, would you rather be down 4pts with the ball or up 2pts defendin

Instead of just pulling stuff out of your arses, how about we make a real contest out of this and see who can come up with the most supported/scientific answer. I am sure the stats are out there... GO FIND THEM! :D

Re: Two minutes left, would you rather be down 4pts with the ball or up 2pts defendin

Isn't it just fitting that this question becomes relevant in a Colts Pats thriller. I think we now know what Belichick's answer to this question is. :rolleyes:

Well, it would seem that, once again, the true arbiter has spoken. Manning would have scored, of that I have no doubt. Too bad Brady couldn't get the first down on third down (or run/sneak it on third and go for it on fourth and less than a yard).

Last edited:

he understood it perfect and I think his logic really ends the debate.

he changed the scenario just a touch to prove his point as you have a 3 point lead instead of 2 (which wasnt needed down 4 or 5 is no different at that point in a game) but his logic of starting with the lead and giving the scenario that if you would rather be down with 2 minutes and TFB than you should let them score so TFB still has time to come back is flawless because no one in their right mind would ever do this.

Oh yeah? Well BB is insane then.

I think you're taking it too literally. In the logical, practical sense, its hard to argue with wanting to have more points on the scoreboard. But in this hypothetical fantasy land we call the internet, I'm going to reiterate that it seems the offense has had more success getting leads than the defense has had keeping leads.

Again, we are taught that reality can be stranger than fiction.

Originally Posted by signbabybrady
he understood it perfect and I think his logic really ends the debate.

he changed the scenario just a touch to prove his point as you have a 3 point lead instead of 2 (which wasnt needed down 4 or 5 is no different at that point in a game) but his logic of starting with the lead and giving the scenario that if you would rather be down with 2 minutes and TFB than you should let them score so TFB still has time to come back is flawless because no one in their right mind would ever do this.

here are the two scenarios

if you think scenario 1 is the way to go than if you were in scenario 2 than you should just let the other team score.

If the logic espoused here is so flawless answer me this. Right now which scenario would you feel more confident in:

- Colts ball @ the 20, Score Pats 14, Colts/Steelers/Chargers 12, 2 mins left (Both teams with 3 timeouts), or
- Pats ball @ the 20, Score Colts/Steelers/Chargers 17, Pats 13, 2 mins left (Both teams with 3 timeouts)?

It's not as easy a slamdunk as you suggest.

I think I have already answered that in this thread but I will repeat I want the lead.

and I will repeat this too. If you think you want to be down in this scenario than if you were faced with these two scenarios your first scenario is still better because you could try and let them score and who knows maybe they fumble or commit a binehead penalty worsening their chances.

I know last weeks two minutes drives were awsome, I know Brady is awsome, and I know he has had a few huge game winning drives but this argument really is silly I can't imagine Brady, any coach or any other player really wanting to be down in this situation. Take the lead and take your chances.

Then you would be more confident with scenario one. I would bet if a poll were taken you'd be in the minority. Your answer (like Deus) seems more philosophical and doesn't seem to consider our present situation. Would you feel the same way if the old Manning teams with those great offenses and lousy defenses were used (or the old Chargers w/ Fouts were used)?

I sure wish we could've had a little fun debating this after a Pats win. In truth, this was the worse regular season loss in many, many years. I don't think I'll get over it unless this season ends with a SB victory.

Last edited:

There may be a coach or two that would choose to be down 4 with 80 yards to go. Of course, those coaches should go back to their offensive coordinator jobs.

All of you are answering philosophically, which misses the point of the thread. I bet Manning and Fouts, with those lousy defensive teams, would rather have had the ball in their hands. I don't have to answer philosophically - I HAVE BRADY (and arguably the most prolific offense the NFL has ever seen)!!! And our defense without Seymour and Mayo makes this an even easier choice. And, none of you know how Belichick would answer this:

Right now which scenario would you rather find yourself in:

- Score Pats 14, Colts/Steelers/Chargers 12, 2 mins remaining (both teams with 3 timeouts), or
- Score Colts/Steelers/Chargers 17, Pats 13, 2 mins remaining (both teams with 3 timeouts)

Mgteich, Dues, signbabybrady and others would rather find themselves in scenario #1. I (and probably a majority of others) would choose scenario #2.

We now know how Belichick answered this (at least on this given Sunday). As I said, it was not as easy as some posters suggested. If it's OK with you, I leave the job of informing Belichick of his demotion to someone else.

Last edited:

I want the lead. That applies whether I have Brady or not. Your "I WANT BRADY" is as philosophical as my "I want the lead". I'm still waiting for you to show me 5 examples of NFL coaches who've deliberately given away a lead in order to get the ball in situations similar to what you're postulating.

I don't know of five, but I can give you the one that matters.

Last edited:

Is this even really a debate with our current Pats team?

With Meriweather as defensive leader/best player there s no choice .

I woukd rather be down by 10 points if necessary . I have more trust in Gostkowsky onside field that our defense

Is this even really a debate with our current Pats team?

well it was two months ago.

Two minutes left in the 4th quarter, what situation makes you more comfortable as a fan?

1. Pats down by 4, 80 yds to go, obviously needing a TD

2. Pats up by 2, 80 yds to go for other team

Rather be down with the ball, for one reason alone:

In the current NFL, its almost impossible to stop a good passing offense that is forced into 4-down football. Its tough to stop a good team when they need to get 3.3 yards a play. Its almost impossible when they need 2.5

Where we starting from? How many timeouts left?
Who We Playing? Is it after a kick off, different senarios.

To Keep it simple I'm confident either way. Brady taking charge & this offense I like my chances. Pats well I feel that if BB would have punted to Colts I was cool with that as well.

well it was two months ago.

When was the last time our defense made a significant stop when they had to?

When was the last time our defense made a significant stop when they had to?

A couple of times in buffalo. A couple of times in a couple of games this year.

When's the last time our offense got a first down when it needed to, to ice a game?

It really depends on the situation. If our defense was having a great game and didn't show signs of tiring, I'd take the lead. If the defense was alright, but we were facing a terrible offensive team, I'd still take the lead. If the defense was having trouble or was facing one of the best offenses in the league, I'd take the 4 point deficit with a 2-minute drive.

Two minutes left in the 4th quarter, what situation makes you more comfortable as a fan?

Tough call, at this point I'd be more confident with Brady leading a methodical clock killing TD drive, leaving little time for the other team to mount any sort of comeback. Brady becomes a defensive player for the Pats that way. I initially thought 50 seconds was too much time he left on the clock and that was gonna kill us tonight. Pats got lucky and survived. Oh and that last play of the game was just nuts--no one talks about it because the Bills didn't score a TD, but still, what a crazy finish.

i say brady with the ball only because

the other team only need's a field goal and when the pats get in the 4th they love to play that prevent bend over and take it defense

so any team would only need 30 sec to get in field goal range on the pats D

Tough call, at this point I'd be more confident with Brady leading a methodical clock killing TD drive, leaving little time for the other team to mount any sort of comeback. Brady becomes a defensive player for the Pats that way. I initially thought 50 seconds was too much time he left on the clock and that was gonna kill us tonight. Pats got lucky and survived. Oh and that last play of the game was just nuts--no one talks about it because the Bills didn't score a TD, but still, what a crazy finish.

Your second scenario doesn't exist. When would you need to go 80 yards to kick a field goal? If they only need a field goal I definitely want the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back