PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two Kinds Of Thursday Untouchables And A Couple Of Thoughts

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
THE UNREACHABLE - THE 11 BLUE CHIPPERS
We could trade three picks and move as high as 17. More reasonable is to start to consider moving up in the mid-twenties. I tallied seven mocks (plus read a lot of discussion here) and the following are unlikely to be available by 17. I apologize for note using the new label "EDGE" for OLB pass-rushers.
QB Winston
QB Mariotta
OLB Fowler
WR Cooper
DE Williams
WR White
OLB Dupree
OG Scherff
WR Parker
NT Shelton
OLB Beasley

THOSE WITH MANY RED FLAGS
I don't think that the patriots would touch any of these.
OT Collins
OLB Gregory
DE Ray
WR Green-Beckham
=======================
THOSE WHO SEEM TO BE OVER-RATED
These players aren't untouchable. They are likely to be drafted tonight.

Obviously, there is a lot of dispute here. I just don't see Belichick draft either of these players. Waynes would take a considerable trade up.
CB Waynes
CB Peters
========================
Where will the first round runs be, after the blue chippers are gone? There may be a run on corners, since the need is great and the qualified are few.

On the other hand, there may be a "run" on OL's simply because there are so many with first round quality. IMHO, there will be first round quality at OL through the 40's. After that, we are probably looking at players who could take a year to develop. However, there are many quality players available in the late third.

And ditto for WR's. There are EIGHT with first round grades, according to Mayock. A top WR will definitely be available at 32.

So, at 32, there is very likely to be first round quality available at OL and at WR. There MAY be first round quality at other positions. I certainly could see teams wanting to trade up to sign a 5-year contract with an OL, WR, or even for one the last of the top quality defensive linemen. TO STATE THE OBVIOUS, the patriots have needs at these same positions. Need is meeting quality in the first round, and likely when we make our bunch picks.

Last edited:
Put Green-Beckham in the "too many red flags" section. No way Kraft allows them to draft a domestic violence guy.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back