PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two games in, what do we have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The season is now 1/8th of the way complete, and the Pats, like seemingly everyone else in the NFL, are 1-1. They are +19 in point differential (4th best in the NFL), and are 1-0 in conference play.

Defensively, where we really wanted to see improvement, we sure have seen it so far.

- pts allowed: #4 (16.5 per game)
- yds allowed: #2 (264.5 per game)
- rush yds allowed: #5 (62.5 per game)
- opp yds per att rushing: #2 (2.6)
- pass yds allowed: #7 (202.0 per game)
- opp QB rating: #13 (82.6)
- opp yds per att passing: #4 (5.9)
- 3rd downs allowed: #9 (32.1%)
- 1st downs allowed: #6 (32)
- defensive penalties: #6 (8 for 69 yds)
- takeaways: #8 (4)

I know the Patriots haven't played the 1999 Rams yet, but still, this is pretty nice work by a team with so many young players on the defensive side of the ball.

Offensively, however, things aren't as rosy.

- pts scored: #13 (26.0)
- yds gained: #6 (388.5)
- rush yds: #9 (126.0)
- yds per att rushing: #13 (4.0)
- pass yds: #9 (263.0)
- yds per att passing: #21 (7.2)
- QB rating: #13 (94.7)
- 3rd downs: #13 (40.7)
- 1st downs: #3 (50)
- penalties: #9 (11)
- giveaways: #3 (1)

So the offense isn't *bad*...but it's not at all what we're accustomed to. And that 26.0 points per game really is 22.5, because of the TD scored by the defense in week 1. So they're moving the ball pretty well, both running and passing, and they're converting 3rd downs at a better-than-average rate. They're not turning the ball over (though the one they did have was huge, and you could argue that the blocked punt was a turnover of sorts).

So the team is better on paper than a 1-1 record. I guess that's to be expected, given that they have the 4th best point differential. They won one game easily and lost one by the thinnest of margins.

So what do we have so far? A better than average team, but not a great team. I think the D has been better than most people dared hope at this point so far, but the O has some serious work to do. Doing it without Hernandez will be a challenge, even moreso if they continue to play Edelman instead of Welker.

Looks to me like we have a Top-5 defense in the making. If that holds up over the long haul we'll be in good shape, even if the offense isn't as prolific as what we've been used to. I LOVE our front seven, and I'm sure the offense will find its stride.

So what do we have so far? A better than average team, but not a great team. I think the D has been better than most people dared hope at this point so far, but the O has some serious work to do. Doing it without Hernandez will be a challenge, even moreso if they continue to play Edelman instead of Welker.

Good post. Truth is after 2 games we don't really know if this team is poor, average or good. I really have no complaints about the defense so far. The real test comes on Sunday and when they play the Broncos in October. At that point we will see what we have.

The offensive line is a cause for concern. A caller on the radio brought this up and it was a great point and Troy Brown agreed: The way the offensive line is playing it is altering how Brady is playing his game. He was hit a bunch of times yesterday; a few of them hard. After you keep getting hit over and over you start hearing footsteps from your blind side. Brady has no confidence in his offensive line (and who can blame him) and it shows. He never looked comfortable out there and it just seems like he was always waiting for a hit that may come.

I know it is not the patriots way but they need to call Waters ASAP and work something out. These guys are not getting it done. Brady only a has a few good years left and it is being wasted by an offensive line who simply cannot protect him for getting hit. It is great the pats are saving money but at what cost? Brady is a tough guy but the law of averages suggests if he keeps getting hit one of them is going to put him out for the game, or worse.

An absolute stud at RDE. Other than that, we don't know too much. Tough to get too excited about the D after facing Mssrs. Locker and Kolb. We'll know a lot more after Sunday.

An absolute stud at RDE. Other than that, we don't know too much. Tough to get too excited about the D after facing Mssrs. Locker and Kolb. We'll know a lot more after Sunday.

Are you kidding? :confused: They did what they were supposed to do, which was contain them handily. Both teams essentially were held to 13 points and relatively few yards. Granted, a bigger test coming up next week, but I'm pumped about this defense more than any in the past eight years.

We have a huge problem adjusting when a key player is hurt on offense. Losing Hernandez will be a disaster if the JMcD can't modify the plan to work without him for the next 6 weeks. Run the ball as much as possible. The line is much better at run blocking than pass protection so that has to be taken into account. Brady has to be better, though. He overthrew and missed more than a couple times and he needs to work on getting rid of the ball faster. I get that the receivers are not getting open as much as he'd like (calling D Branch!) and he seems uncomfortable letting go of the ball.

Special teams! What the hell's going on?

Defense is excellent and has shown they can remove the best offensive player from the game. They continue with big timely plays and Wilfork is the man...huge recovery at the end. Great penetration when they need it.

This is a good game to lose (if there is such a thing) because it was an NFC team and it's going to be a good wakeup call. This is a championship contending team. They will be fine sooner than later.

Call Houston today!

Pats got a pass rush. Pats have a reliable ground game. Now, McD has to stop getting cute and let Brady off his leash. Seeing Brady run a no-huddle is a thing of beauty.

Are you kidding? :confused: They did what they were supposed to do, which was contain them handily. Both teams essentially were held to 13 points and relatively few yards. Granted, a bigger test coming up next week, but I'm pumped about this defense more than any in the past eight years.

Yesterday, the D really held the Cardinals to 10 points. 7 came after the blocked punt, where the Cardinals only had to go 2 yards for a score. A field goal came after the Brady tipped interception, and the Pats only allowed a few yards and no first downs, forcing a long FG, which the kicker made.

I was listening to Troy and Welker this AM, and they were talking about how the Offense is behind across the league. They contended that before the first preseason game there used to be 24-25 practices, not that number is not hit until the first game.. so the whole repetititive thing is different.

The Giants played really well offensively, but other O juggernauts like Green Bay, New Orleans and the Patriots have not hit their stride yet.. so this may not be unique to the Patriots..

Do not think you are going to know a lot until about game 4....

Our defense is much different though..

Last edited:
How can anyone not like this year's defense....young and fast. Give these kids some more time together and they could be special. Jones,Hightower and Wilson along with Cunningham coming into his own...add in Mayo and Spikes...YIKES :eek:

Brady and the Offense need to find themselves..it will come :D

An improving defense, bad offensive line, decent running back and aging QB.

Looks to me like we have a Top-5 defense in the making.
I like your optimism but against more prolific passers I'm not sure that they crack that level of elitism. They are getting fat on really poor QB play.

But ....

but I'll grant that they have forced a lot of that poor QB play. They do create pressure. They do cover better. They seem to have an attitude and swagger. They do come up with big plays like the fumble recovery yesterday.

But they still shoot their whole effort in the foot with terrible tackling and decision making on that run and unsportsmanlike combination that cost them 40 yards. That's coachable, so I'm not worried about it. They're going to get it put in their face all week. Teachable moment.

Last edited:
Looks to me like we have a Top-5 defense in the making. If that holds up over the long haul we'll be in good shape, even if the offense isn't as prolific as what we've been used to. I LOVE our front seven, and I'm sure the offense will find its stride.

Let's see the Pats do it against better quarterbacks than Locker and Kolb before we anoint them. I agree that there's a ton of promise there, and this draft class is already looking like solid gold on par with 2010, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey