PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two FULLBACKS in for workouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
:eek:

Woodhead's ability to do that depends on the space he has to work with, in tight, confined spaces the big defenders have the advantage because he doesnt have the lateral space to move and he doesnt have the mass to knock guys over.

That said, that amount of space he needs before he can turn on the juice is less than the other runners due to their greater momentum and space needed to shift that momentum.

I think Woodhead + nasty FB = more deliciousness than fried banana wrapped in bacon.

Actually, in tight confined spaces is where Woodhead is at his best. The big defenders, in fact, do not have any advantage in that regard because physics works against them, be it size, weight, or the ability to turn on a dime.

Pairing Woodhead with a FB would take away from him what he does best which is to zig-zag in and out of space, and he wouldn't be able to do that if he were confined to the wake of a FB, which is where he would easily be keyed on.

Look how Baltimore uses Ray Rice out of I-based formations. They do a good job using the FB to create misdirection, take on linebackers, etc. Rice and Woodhead have nearly the same combine stats and a very similar running style. I'd say Rice is elite while Woodhead is just above average or good; but, I bet you'd see damn good results if you plugged him into Baltimore's scheme, which includes a substantial amount of I-Form runs.

Anyone else find it funny that the most in-depth football conversation currently on the board is perpetually amongst the bottom third of the page? I guess they lost last week.

A couple of thoughts: I've seen Kevin Faulk stand up defenders and release from them better than many of the TEs we had pre-Gronk, I don't see why someone like Peyton Hillis, my ideal H-back candidate, couldnt also function in all of those rolls.

My plan would be to have a versatile guy like that on the field, and just have TFB direct him in the manner that fits the situation. I think this could potentially create nightmares for opposing defenses, combine that with a player who can function as a WR and RB, like our own Shane Vereen, and the no huddle directed by TFB, and you have Inception meets Nightmare on Elm Street.

Saints fans almost called it Nightmare on Bourbon Street, starring James Casey.

Casey is exactly the player you are describing. He can be flexed outside, or in-line, or HBack,
or traditional I- or split-formation FB, and he can even run off pitchouts or screens.

And he was available with the 4th-round pick used by Bill to select...Richie OBurger.

Knowing that Watson was entering the final year of his 6-yr rookie contract, Bill traded a 2010
5th-rounder to Tampa for Alex Smith, who was as we know released before TC ended.
Bill would've been better-served keeping the pick, and drafting Casey instead of Lil' Richie.
He's almost as big as Dave Thomas, but faster, and with more backfield versatility
& athleticism than Sometimes Sammy Morris. He could've provided enough experience
at blocking from the FB-XB position that he could've been both our 5th RB & 3rd TE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back