PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two Darkhorse Heroes for the SB? and reasons why

Status
Not open for further replies.

yopats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Ok guys.. what is your gut telling you?

Give me one from offense and defense that will be unsung/darkhorse hero's for this game and why...

Defense -- Sterling Moore, in a game where Eli will make some mistakes I expect Moore who has a knack for making play's is going to come up big when needed.

Offense -- Aaron Hernandez, when all the talk is based around Gronk.. AH has been coming on strong the past 5 games and I think actually matches up better in this matchup with the Giants secondary. He is fully healthy and I expect a breakout game and possible SB MVP.

Who are yours?

Nobody has been as under the radar as Wes Welker. He has been the best wide receiver in the NFL over the last five years, period. And he is arguably at his peak right now.

Cruz, Nicks, and Manningham. If they are so incredible, why did this Giants team score less points this season than the Patriots scored with Matt Casell in 2008?

Nobody has been as under the radar as Wes Welker. He has been the best wide receiver in the NFL over the last five years, period. And he is arguably at his peak right now.

Cruz, Nicks, and Manningham. If they are so incredible, why did this Giants team score less points this season than the Patriots scored with Matt Casell in 2008?

What about on D?

Defense -- Sterling Moore, in a game where Eli will make some mistakes I expect Moore who has a knack for making play's is going to come up big when needed.

Sterling Moore also has a knack of giving up big plays. He was partly responsible for a Ravens TD and was beaten all day on the Lee Evans play.

So, yeah. No.

Sterling Moore also has a knack of giving up big plays. He was partly responsible for a Ravens TD and was beaten all day on the Lee Evans play.

So, yeah. No.

He had a mistackle for sure.. I think he learns from that.. but he is a playmaker.. look back to the final game with Buffalo those are the types of plays I am talking about. Also the play right after his knockdown with Evans. He is constantly close to his man on assignments and I would much rather have him man to man than McCourty at this point.

any thoughts on Darkhorses from you?

Last edited:
Don't know if even an under the radar WW is considered a darkhorse at this point.

Offense: I'll take Woodhead. He picked up 60 yds total last game and it looked like he was supposed to be a larger part of the offense, but some broken plays and miscues limited his effectiveness. Since the issues with the plays were mostly execution I wouldn't be surprised to see them give him a decent number of snaps again and have him end up with 100+ yds.

Defense: Sticking with the Kyle Love theme of today... Kyle Love. Last I recall Giants are pretty weak at center, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Manning feeling the Love.

Edit: Edelman for either side wouldn't surprise me either. He's been playing solid and the storyline writes itself with the flack he's taken from a Giants' player or two.

Last edited:
Since you said Hernandez,

I'm going to say:

Offense: Danny Woodhead. Everyone's talking about Victor Cruz, but I think another Undrafted guy makes big plays in this game.

Defense: Devin McCourty (at FS). While Eli is dropping back looking for Nicks and Manningham, McCourty is going to be watching Eli for the throw the throw that floats instead of flies out of Eli's hand. He'll be there to knock it down or hopefully pick it off.

Don't know if even an under the radar WW is considered a darkhorse at this point.

Offense: I'll take Woodhead. He picked up 60 yds total last game and it looked like he was supposed to be a larger part of the offense, but some broken plays and miscues limited his effectiveness. Since the issues with the plays were mostly execution I wouldn't be surprised to see them give him a decent number of snaps again and have him end up with 100+ yds.

Defense: Sticking with the Kyle Love theme of today... Kyle Love. Last I recall Giants are pretty weak at center, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Manning feeling the Love.

Edit: Edelman for either side wouldn't surprise me either. He's been playing solid and the storyline writes itself with the flack he's taken from a Giants' player or two.

I'd prefer that Love feel the Manning. :eek: [Yes, I feel dirty. But now you do too. :snob:]

Since you said Hernandez,

I'm going to say:

Offense: Danny Woodhead. Everyone's talking about Victor Cruz, but I think another Undrafted guy makes big plays in this game.

Defense: Devin McCourty (at FS). While Eli is dropping back looking for Nicks and Manningham, McCourty is going to be watching Eli for the throw the throw that floats instead of flies out of Eli's hand. He'll be there to knock it down or hopefully pick it off.

The theme I am seeing here is that there is a great possibility is that we see the whole team rise up.. because there are so many that can.. love both of your choices with McCourty and Edeleman

Defense - Pat Chung - INT, forced fumble and sack - This guy has been on the shelf so long and I think he is ready to explode. Mark Anderson or Nink are possibilities too.

Offense - I'm gonna say it... Ochocinco - 3-4 catches, mostly for 1st downs, one TD and one 15yd run on a reverse.. My reasoning? Just baiting the Ocho-haters... :) My more serious one is either Deion Branch or BJGE. No attention paid to them and they can come up big at key moments.

Offense:- Ridley, he'll be playing and he'll rip off some serious yards, one way or another, that's my gut feeling

Defense:- Mark Anderson

Julian Edelman is going to have a TD reception... from Eli Manning. If they use the strategy that the 49ers used to slow Cruz down (CB to the inside, safety deep), Edelman should be in position to jump a few out routes if Eli decides to throw them.

Last edited:
Offense - Deion Branch....Sure he is getting old and slower,but look at those SB stats from 03 and 04 ....21 Receptions for 276 Yards,that is some credentials you can't ignore in these big games.

Defense - Rob Ninkovitch.....This guy is getting better and better every season and looks sometimes like the player who previously wore #50 Mike Vrabel and we all know how great Vrabel played in some of those Super Bowls,Nincovitch getting 2 sacks on Eli and maybe a pick would not surprise me.

Last edited:
Julian Edelman is an interesting one since he encompasses offense, defense, and special teams. I don't see him making a huge impact on offense or defense really, but he could be responsible for a few big punt returns, and perhaps a forced fumble or a recovery on defense. My other dark horse would be Kyle Love. It'll be interesting to see if Wilfork gets double-teamed, how much that frees Love to reek havoc on Elisha.

Defense - Rob Ninkovitch.....This guy is getting better and better every season and looks sometimes like the player who previously wore #50 Mike Vrabel and we all know how great Vrabel played in some of those Super Bowls,Nincovitch getting 2 sacks on Eli and maybe a pick would not surprise me.

I saw Bedard point to Ninkovitch as well..

I'll go with Woodhead on offense, I think they will use him to make the giants pay for overaggressiveness.

On defense I will go with Ninkovich, who is going to tear the greatest player in football (Per Pro Football Focus) Kareem McKenzie, a new one.

I'll go with an Edelman punt return for a TD. I could also see Ridley having a few big runs.

Defensively, I'll say Ninkovich has a big pick. He has had a slight knack for them dropping back into coverage.

Outside the box picks....

Offense: Shane Vereen

Defense: Gerrard Warren

Outside the box picks....

Offense: Shane Vereen

Defense: Gerrard Warren
Since I have a soft spot for Warren and this is most likely his farewell tour I'd love to see him going out having a big game as a SB champ.

Since ELI has a habit of throwing the ball up in the air hoping his acrobatic recievers pluck it out of thin air I hope chung and arrington have a huge game with 2-3 INTS

Hoping that Chad has a big game with a couple of TDs :rocker::rocker:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing