PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two-a-days: good, bad, or just something to talk about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
  • Are two-a-day practices good, to get players both mentally and physically prepared?
  • Are two-a-day practices bad because modern players don't need this conditioning and they'll eventually tune their coach out?
  • Or do the standard rules simply not apply since the head coach is Bill Belichick?
I came across this article which made me think about these questions, though the columnist offered no definitive opinion of his own:
No special treatment for Patriots by Steve Buckley of the Boston Herald

Remember when we talked about the Patriots being a dynasty? Remember the three Super Bowl championships in four years? Remember when it seemed like the good times would just roll on forever?

Those days are gone. While it’s true the Patriots enter the 2009 season with a healthy Tom Brady and, hence, the expectation they will go deep into the playoffs and beyond, we need to remember that, for now, these Patriots are not those Patriots. Until they actually go out and win games and re-establish themselves as one of the top teams in the NFL, they should not be treated as one of the top teams in the NFL.

And a quick look at the practice schedule proves that Belichick agrees with this point.

“We’ve done it differently from year to year, but that’s where we are this year,” Belichick said in his usual matter-of-fact manner when asked about the Pats’ practice schedule. “We feel like what’s best for the football team is what we need to do. We’ve gone through different schedules, but there’s not much light at the end of the tunnel for right now.”

I'm not sure what Buckley is trying to say; is it: The Pats are toast; the dynasty is over? Belichick is in desperation mode to win this year? It's just business as usual; simply adapting to the current circumstances? Let me (the writer) throw a bunch of ideas out there and hope for debate and hits to the web site?

Regardless of Buckley's intention with this article - any thoughts on the idea of whether or not two-a-days are good or bad? From what I've read so far it doesn't seem as if the players are being worn down and it will effect them negatively late in the season. As I recall there was an emphasis on conditioning two years ago agter the way the 2006 season ended in the AFCCG to the Colts. I'm just curious what those that have been at training camp think what Belichick's motivation was to go to two-a-day's this year.

Last edited:
No answer applies in all cases.

It varies each year and depends on what the team/coaches need.

Personally I suspect that BB likes two a days because they stress out players and he can see how they function when mentally and physically exhausted.

I think he let up on two-a-days in past years because:

a) the Pats were always in the playoffs and had less off time than other teams, and

b) earlier teams had more veterans and were older. He didn't need to test them so much. This team has a lot of young players. Notice that the old guys are NOT doing two-a-days, only the younger ones.

Last edited:
I have been through my share of 2 days in HS and college and its for many reasons.

Some do need it to get in shape(hard to believe but still true at the pro level), some need to be broken down mentally and testes.

ALOT of it IMO at the pro level has to do with building a sense of team. Being together all day toughing it out(there are probably together alot more outside of the field practices in the weight room and in tons of meetings) I think in college it was about 4 hr on field and 3 hours off for meetings, likely those #'s are reversed at the pro level.

Ehh, I think it just so they can get more people into practises and garner some more money in this poor economy. I don't think BB is killing them twice a day.

Good!

You can over-train but you can't over-practise. Smart coaches know the difference.

Most of the key veterans get time off during two-a-days. I think double sessions are geared more for evaluating all the extra prospects vs. getting the core 53 ready for the season.

This is not about conditioning, as all players should be in shape.. it is more about integrating new players into our system as well as making some changes..

Consider.. TB is back after 15 games out, our D backfield is practically all new, our LB corp is somewhat revamped.. new WR's and RB...

I do not think we will be in the bottom in red zone d this year.. suspect a lot of new defensive wrinkles...

No answer applies in all cases.

It varies each year and depends on what the team/coaches need.

Personally I suspect that BB likes two a days because they stress out players and he can see how they function when mentally and physically exhausted.

I think he let up on two-a-days in past years because:

a) the Pats were always in the playoffs and had less off time than other teams, and

b) earlier teams had more veterans and were older. He didn't need to test them so much. This team has a lot of young players. Notice that the old guys are NOT doing two-a-days, only the younger ones.

Very well said; you mirrored my thoughts.

I'll also add a comment that the good times have been rolling on. True, the Pats haven't won any of the last 4 Super Bowls although they've been in contention (and had a record setting regular season in 2007), but I've never defined not winning a Super Bowl as a bad time. Why live 86 years in misery? ;)

Good times have been here and continue to be here. Of course, from the Patriots perspective, we're 0-0 like every other team in the NFL. That was true in August, 2004 and is still true today.

Speaking from when I played football (of course this probably doesn't relate to the pro game) two a days were vital, its the time of the year when you eat and sleep football and think of almost nothing else (my mom cought me muttering defensive audibles in my sleep a few times haha) It just gets your mind completely focussed on the task at hand after months of just playing golf and going on vacation and what have you. Plus a lot of the guys could probably use the conditioning

Some do need it to get in shape(hard to believe but still true at the pro level), some need to be broken down mentally and testes.

So you're saying they literally need a ballbreaker coach? (Crossing my fingers it's just a typo...)

Haha a typo indeed (and about 4 others) Thats what happens when I try to type and debug code at the same time, before 8 am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes