PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Turnovers fueling Patriots 2012 season, but can the takeaways continue?

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Turnovers fueling Patriots 2012 season, but can the takeaways continue?
By: John Morgan

The New England Patriots have became an unstoppable force, taking the ball away from opponents at record-setting pace. Can that be counted on to continue? Is that a viable strategy for playoff success?...

The last 3 three years we've forced 104 turnovers in 43 games, 2.4 per game. In 4 playoff games we've forced 2 turnovers.

In 43 regular season games, '10-'12, we've only failed to force a TO in 3 games and forced only a singe TO in seven games. Therefore, we've forced at least one TO in 40 of 43 games (93.0%) and multiple TOs in 33 of 43 games (76.7%).

In the playoffs we've forced no TOs twice, and 1 TO twice, with no multiple TO games.

So, clearly, takeaways don't always continue and we've had a bad trend of TOs drying up when we get to the playoffs. You have to go back to the divisional round in 2007 for the last playoff game where we won the turnover battle.

The Pats are certainly racking up the fumble recoveries this year. These can at times be fluky, but the Pats have shown that they genuinely have a nose for the ball. Some have been strip sacks from QB pressure.

I hope it continues, and I expect it too.

I mentioned it in another thread, while recovering fumbles etc. has alot to do with luck, the fact that the Pats have FORCED so many is making your own luck...

so many of those come from Spikes/Ninkovich going for the ball to jar it loose. thats a skill...now, once they cough it up the ball has mysterious ways of bouncing.

but, I think the way the players on this team go for the ball they can continue..

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back