PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tully Banta-Cain has surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Banta-Cain has surgery

Good, now Bill has 1 less excuse not to get a real OLB in FA.

not really... Jermaine Cunningham and Rob Ninkovich are the starters Eric Moore and Tully Banta-Cain are just the sub-package DE/OLB's Dane Fletcher or Gary Guyton can fill in for TBC if he's not redy for the season opener so dont look for BB to sign any OLB's at lest none with big name's

one less guy that can rush the passer. not what we need. nothing dire but the timing sucks.

They HAVE to get a OLB now from FA.

What are the big names?

For me, the available (UFA) big name is Manny Lawson.

He's played in a 3-4, broke up more passes than any other 3-4 OLB last year, and, according to Pro Football Focus, "...gets more pressure on a per-play basis than guys like Clay Matthews, James Harrison and Cameron Wake."

The Niners seemed to always drop him in coverage (where he's great and we're not), and brought him off the field on 3rd down, which contributed to his low sack numbers.

In summary, he's great in coverage, and can get pressure from a base 3-4.

If we cut Tully and Kaczur, that's $5m in cap space freed up that you can offer him (a similar figure to what Shaun Phillips got in 2007)

It's worth at least a call to his agent on day 1.

All you guys jumping up and down to dump him and pay him nothing need to chill out a little.

The articles were pretty clear that TBC had this injury from LAST YEAR.

Only recently was injury aggravated or not getting better and he decided he needed surgery.

If this was at all football related to last year (and especially if slowed down his performance that you are all complaining about) then the Pats I think have a moral obligation to keep him on and get him healthy - back in rotation if he can.

And just suppose if it was aggravation - that it occurred in any of these 'player sponsored workouts'; then it is pretty bad to dump the guy after he was working hard voluntarily toward being there for the team.

I am pretty sure BB has a better judge of the guy than you guys and my intuition tells me that TBC isn't going anywhere and won't even be asked to take a paycut (but if you think he is overpaid that is always a route - extend him and amortize some of his 2011 pay into a bonus over more years)

Get mark herzlich on the phone

Last edited:

Put TBC on PUP and get more reps to the younger players? Sounds like BB planned this one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back