Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tuition nearing $50k a year

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +445 / 5 / -2

This is gross. I wonder what the professors make at these schools. Time to hire another $3 million per year football coach, or build a new stadium. Momma needs a new par of shoes!

Hey, at UMass, a job could get you a half a million a year in salary, or close to it. But hey, let's let these schools buy up more downtown property that becomes tax exempt, so that we can save the children! At a price of course.

My alma mater, Suffolk University, is up to $40k a year. GROSS!!!

[​IMG]

Eagle tuition soars

BC hikes cost to nearly $50G

By Scott Van Voorhis
    Friday, April 25, 2008 - Updated 14h ago

The cost of attending Boston College is hitting new Heights.

The annual tab for BC students has hit nearly $50,000 a year with a recent 6 percent increase in tuition, room and board, making it the most expensive major college in Boston.

A number of local schools, including Harvard and Boston universities, also are soaring toward that once unheard-of mark, though they fall short - by a hair in some cases - of BC’s total $49,560 bill.

College officials defend the hike, saying it reflects everything from increased heating bills to the cost of upgrading technology.

http://www.bostonherald.com/projects/payroll/massachusetts/annual_rt.DESC//
  2. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Some of the best and cheapest schools in this country are public schools. The problem with public schools is that there's been a long lasting, concerted campaign aimed at convincing people that cheap, accessible, quality education is not worth paying taxes for. That people fall for that is beyond me. Of course, when education is more expensive, fewer people can attain it, meaning that the masses are more easily manipulated into believing the justifications for corporate wars, privatization, and deregulation. Convenient how that happens. We a re a society held in thrall.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +438 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

The Cal State Universities are fine our here and you can get through four years for less than $50K. The cost of college is overstated to me - can't afford it ? Go to a cheaper one.
  4. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Unfortunately not every region has access to good public universities. In Massachusetts, the UMass system saw drastic cuts under Romney. There's no equivalent to UCLA or Cal out here.
  5. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Are you implying that college professors are making too much? I can assure you that professors salaries play a very small role in the rise of admission costs. I went to a school that cost 40k+ by the time I graduated and the professors, even tenured ones, made 90k or less.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  6. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

This is a good article about the reason behind rising tuition costs.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/CollegeandFamily/P74829.asp

7. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

the thing that ticks me off is that elite educations are usually only for the well off. can you name a senator or president who went to a truly state school?
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +445 / 5 / -2

A theory that explains everything, explains nothing. So no, I'm not laying the blame at a professors salary. The reasons are comprehensive. However, take a look at what some are making at UMass.

http://www.bostonherald.com/projects/payroll/massachusetts/annual_rt.DESC//

When was that article written? It cites 1993-2000 as it's window.

The median salary is nice and all, but you're factoring schools like Bunker Hill, North Shore Community, Salem St., etc into the fray. I'm talking about schools mentioned in the article I linked, and similar. Check out what UMass is paying.

http://www.bostonherald.com/projects/payroll/massachusetts/annual_rt.DESC/UMS/

University of Massachusetts Donna Ambrosino Professor $420,291.00

University of Massachusetts A Rossini Professor $309,260.00

U of Massachusetts V Aghababian Associate Vice Chancellor $571,225.00

University of Massachusetts R Lovley Associate Dean NRE $591,763.00
  9. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

But don't "libertarians" want to privatize everything? If colleges are private then the salaries should be dictated by the market. If 420k is what it takes to get the top professors, then that's just the free market working it's magic. Or should we also go after oil executives who drive up the cost of oil when they make hundreds of millions. And before you accuse me of "hijacking" or derailing this thread, it's a very relevant point.

Either you think higher education should be further subsidized by the government or you think it should be privatized completely. If it's privatized completely then these salaries will be dictated by the demand. But as the article I posted points out, the alarming rise in tuition doesn't necessarily reveal the real cost of education after scholarships etc.

However, I think it's embarrassing and tragic that the average college student comes out of college 20k in debt and that school costs are this high. If we actually want to remain competitive with the rest of the world we are going about it the wrong way.
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +445 / 5 / -2

Now you're going into your typical PC, righteousness rant. Calm down, take a deep breathe, and read what's written, so as to know, and not assume. I couldn't care less what BC wants to rape kids for. It's they're perogative. I'm making light of how absurd the cost of an eduation is becoming. Four years at BC now represents a mortgage. We're talking about saddling someone with $200k in debt, for an education that might get them a $40-50k a year job when they get out. In 30 years when that tuition is paid, maybe they'll be able to save for a house. People are free to do what they want. I'm merely pointing out how ludicris some of it's becoming. People can pay what they want for a house, my mentioning how stupid they are, or how ridiculous the cost is, doesn't mean I want the fed to come in and supply all the property.
  11. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The free market is not free, and its by-products are not magic. Unregulated, they're quite damaging. If you take this opinion from media, consider the source. If you take it from Friedman, read The Shock Doctrine.
  12. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Senator Hutchinson went to Weslyan University in Fort Worth. It may not be a state school, but its probably cheaper then one and is in the middle of the hood. I'll check out others, I wouldn't be surprised if some went to Univ. Tex.
  13. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Senator Hutchinson went to Weslyan University in Fort Worth. It may not be a state school, but its probably cheaper then one and is in the middle of the hood. I'll check out others, I wouldn't be surprised if some went to Univ. Tex.

She also attended Univ. Tex. Law School.
  14. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Nice double talk. So you "couldn't care less" and then you go on to make a thread about it and follow up with another post further pointing out the lunacy of tuition costs? Makes a ton of sense as usual Disney World. Glad to see you saddled your inconsistent nonsense with a "calm down" and "PC, righteuos rant" accusation. Where exactly was I not calm? Would you like to point out how anything I said was in anyway "PC?" Just what in the hell are you talking about?

"And by the way, you know, when you're telling these little stories? Here's a good idea - have a POINT. It makes it SO much more interesting for the listener! "
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  15. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I was being 100% sarcastic.
  16. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

LOL! My bad.
  17. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

No worries, I forgot the ":rolleyes:" moticon.
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +445 / 5 / -2

You know, you're like a little kid who doesn't have a clue, but thinks he's smarter than everyone else. So I guess I can't post a topic, or discuss anything in a political forum? Afterall, my posting, after reading an article in the paper, about how these prime time schools are charging ridiculous tuition rates, is somehow double speak? So I guess I should only post my opinion on this, if I were willing to demand that the government come in and take it over, and regulate the costs. :rolleyes: Poor Waldo. Seriously, do you ever have a clue? If some kid wants to blow $200k at BC, that's his/her perogative. The fact that I think it's reaching a point where it's not economically sensible, I guess is double speak. My friends bought houses in the last 3 years, where which I advised them not to. I guess I was double speaking somehow, since I didn't think the government should come in and supply one for them, or regulate the cost of the house they were planning on buying? Poor, poor Waldo.