PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tuck rule question

Status
Not open for further replies.

signbabybrady

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I know its like beating a dead horse but I am out here in San Diego for the game and some guys were giving me crap over the Tuck Rule. Now as a Pats fan I know this rule has been called several times since but I cant come up with any other specific instances. Does anyone know one so I can show him that the snow bowl was not the only time?

It was actually called in the Jets game that season against the Patriots. Saw a great documentory of that season in which Bill recalls the refs calling it in favor of the Jets. Ironically, then it turned in their favor against the Raiders, as we all know.

What I didn't know, was that the rule requires a certain degree of interpretation by the refs as to what the QBs intent was when the ball is brought back down. The refs could had gone either way on the call, but I would agree that it didn't look like Tom had the intent of tucking the ball.

Hope to see ya at the game... got tickets 15 rows up from the field on the Chargers side with two other Pat fans from Boston who call CA home.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know its like beating a dead horse but I am out here in San Diego for the game and some guys were giving me crap over the Tuck Rule. Now as a Pats fan I know this rule has been called several times since but I cant come up with any other specific instances. Does anyone know one so I can show him that the snow bowl was not the only time?

It's called almost every week - If I'm not mistaken it was called in the Steelers/Jag game last Sunday.

You can Wiki it (Tuck Rule) and get some info OR

Tuck Rule Hard to Grasp

Or if all else fails.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england.../10/114010-help-me-out-here-re-tuck-rule.html

Key Comment from Mike Pereira (Head of NFL Officiating):

"Pereira said the rule comes up in games about 12 to 15 times per season and the application of it usually is clear-cut -- although not always as "obvious," he said, as it was last weekend on the Plummer play."

Last edited:
I want to say I saw it called in the KC Panther game last week.

Huard or maybe the other guy went back to pass. Pump faked, was immediately hit. The ball came out. KC recovered but it was ruled an incomplete. The next play was 10 to go rather then the 17 it would have ben if they spotted the ball where it was recovered.

It was actually called in the Jets game that season against the Patriots. Saw a great documentory of that season in which Bill recalls the refs calling it in favor of the Jets.

I was AT that game and when the Pats recovered Testaverde's 'fumble' in that close, hard fought contest, us Pats fans cheered. Suddenly, the officials reversed the call saying that it was an incomplete pass. In the stands we had nobody explaining that it was the 'Tuck Rule' and hotheads like me blamed the refs for being NY homers. That was the game that Moe Lewis ensured the Patriots Dynasty.

There wer about 5 or 6 Tuck Rule calls that season. It is a travesty that the community of so-called reporters in the sports world did not make this well known. I've seen it called once already this season.

i've seen the tuck rule called before and after the pats game, i just can't recall it.

at the time i thought it was a legit call, and i still do

i've seen the tuck rule called before and after the pats game, i just can't recall it.

at the time i thought it was a legit call, and i still do

It's a legit rule, it's in the NFL Rule Book - Hard to get much more legit than that.

The tuck rule is a crutch for all these Patriot Haters to throw up when they start talking about the team - It the first in a long line of excuses that these other fans use to try and discredit what they have done, This one is my favorite - Brady's a System QB (so stupid that now only people that know NOTHING about football use that one - If it ever comes up send them to Wikipedia and search, "2007 New England Patriots Season" - I'd love to hear how a "system" QB does what he did in '07). So WHO is a system qb? There are lots in the NFL right now - Matt Cassel is one.......for now.

Last edited:

charger girls are sticking up for the raiders now? just tell them "yeah we got over on the raiders, how did you like the holy roller"? or that ed hochuli is your new favorite ref.

All one really needs to know about the Tuck Rule is that after the 2001-2002 season the Competition Committee - incluing Indi's Polian - thoroughly reviewed the tuck rule and its application in that game.

Not only did they keep the rule, they kept the rule as is, without recommending any changes in how the officials should be interpreting it, nor was there any question that it was applied as intended in the Raiders game.

Check. Mate. (to anyone who still wants to grouse about the fact that right rule was correctly applied in the right situation.)

Gimme a T, a U, a C, a K a Y an O and a U - whats that spell???

TUCK YOU everybody....we won it fair and square, for those that question what you see, try to come up with a better way to officiate, competition committee couldn't.

Here is the rule, a good explanation and a few "gems" to use for your discussion SBB, which I have culled over the past few years.

NFL Rule 3, Section 21, Article 2, Note 2. When [an offensive] player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble.[4]
.Under the rule, a quarterback's throwing motion begins when he raises the ball in his hand and begins to move his arm forward; that motion doesn't end until the quarterback tucks the ball back against his body, making him a runner. If the ball comes loose any time in between, it's an incomplete pass, not a fumble. Only if the quarterback reloads -- and raises the ball again to start a new throwing motion -- can he fumble, as long as the ball is knocked loose before his arm begins to move forward again.

When you look at the actual situation and the rule it makes a lot of sense.

If not for this specific rule, the refs would have to decide every single time if the quarterback was really intending to throw.

Imagine all the disputed plays decided based on the referee reading the QB's mind.

Right on.
That's why this rule, imperfect as is and counterintuitive as it may appear to the unthinking, was implemented. The league wanted to take as much of the subjective, opinion based, mind reading away from the refs in this situation and have a CONSISTENT outcome. Walt Coleman correctly stated that instantly upon reviewing the replay that he had "no choice" but to invoke the Tuck rule.

Who cares? Tell them SCOREBOARD. I can't believe people are still bringing that up. Tell them that is weak ass smack talk and get back with you if they have something intelligent to say. What was that 5 years ago???

It's a legit rule, it's in the NFL Rule Book - Hard to get much more legit than that.

The tuck rule is a crutch for all these Patriot Haters to throw up when they start talking about the team - It the first in a long line of excuses that these other fans use to try and discredit what they have done, This one is my favorite - Brady's a System QB (so stupid that now only people that know NOTHING about football use that one - If it ever comes up send them to Wikipedia and search, "2007 New England Patriots Season" - I'd love to hear how a "system" QB does what he did in '07). So WHO is a system qb? There are lots in the NFL right now - Matt Cassel is one.......for now.
i've hated on the pats before but never for that play, i always thought it was a legit call like i've said, i said it then , now and always will

i'd say it sadly enough, if it had happened against my chargers.

charger girls are sticking up for the raiders now? just tell them "yeah we got over on the raiders, how did you like the holy roller"? or that ed hochuli is your new favorite ref.
now the hoch thing is totally different

that's a case of a ref , if we're to believe that he thought it was an incomplete pass, not knowing a backwards pass in the nfl, is a lateral at the least, and a live ball

now that is just ******ed on hoch's part.

now the hoch thing is totally different

that's a case of a ref , if we're to believe that he thought it was an incomplete pass, not knowing a backwards pass in the nfl, is a lateral at the least, and a live ball

now that is just ******ed on hoch's part.
Not to get away from the thread topic but the thing that intrigues me about that whole scenario is Hochuli was going to be wrong either way. Why not give the ball to the Chargers, it is what should have happened. Sure it would have been the "wrong" call based on him calling it an incomplete pass, but he was wrong anyway. Better to get it "right" even though you are "wrong" than to get it wrong when you are wrong. Not sour grapes just discussion.

Why not give the ball to the Chargers, it is what should have happened.

You can't just make up new rules to try to "set things right" after a bad call.

You can't just make up new rules to try to "set things right" after a bad call.
Agreed. But he blew it, why not blow it the other way? Either way would have been a mistake, why not make the mistake that gives the correct result?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes