PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trying to understand Welker's success

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a TV show made to test a soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo an amazing show. In which he is put against a sprinter and made to run a short sprint and also a agility course they show how much G force is on his body and analyse why he is so good at the drill. They also test him with the lights out to try and get onto a cross into the box an turn the lights out to see what he can do scores 1 with a normal shot and one with his shoulder(which he intended).

I imagine if you put W.W in a similar situation that the results would be similar. He has a sense of how the passing play is developing what he has to do to get open on it. The skill set he has means you can create a playbook around him, Brady and him seem to read the defence the same way which is a big help it means if Brady see's something then W.W has and knows how to get open against it.

He also has a few shifts that can turn a DB while he goes a different way. Look at his catch at the 1 yard line that was originally rules out of bounds he throws in a high to get the db to try and defend that then he goes on the fly the db then gets in a trail between Welker and Brady, W.W doesn't have the speed or space to beat him and was not likely to win a jump ball. Brady then throws a back shoulder fade W.W has a quick turn that the DB didn't see coming runs past him lets W.W make a great catch at the 1. That play deserved to be a TD just for how much had to go into it. I seen the thread that said it was a TD but the ball never crossed the plain while inbounds and inside the pylon

When you combine that sense with agility and Brady's skill with the ball you make a unstoppable combo. I hope to god Rex try to double him because you can double W.W he will still get open plus branch 1v1 i'll take that vs anyone even Revis. Leaves 85, Gronk with more chances to be open and if Aaron Hernandez plays he will beat a LB with skill and a CB with size and physicality.

All the passes to W.W also means they can review tape see what 85 is doing and if he is getting it right then they can get him the ball more later in the season.

Soccer video I haven't watched this video online so not sure if this has all of the show in. I'll check it when I am not on a train where I can't use youtube.

This is a minor feature compared to the quickness, the Brady connections, smarts et al; but when you see the dude's FACE when he is running he 1) has giant eyes that I've heard he uses to misdirect opposing defense on where he is going to run; and 2) he looks so angry that the D is probably afraid he might bite.

In my town I see more 83 jerseys than probably any other maybe save 12.

as a patriots fan who owns welker on 3/5 fantasy football teams, i am just enjoying the ride right now. :D

I actually can't believe the season Welker is having right now. I was having a conversation with someone yesterday, and I actually felt a little dumb because I couldn't really explain what makes Welker so successful (given his limitations).

In a time where the league is moving more and more towards "freaks" at the WR position, ie. those with massive hands, huge wingspan, insane verticals, 6'4"+ and run sub 4.4 forties... how is Welker doing it?

I mean, sure, he's ridiculously "quick" and agile.. but many WRs are probably at or near the same level... even Deion Branch for instance set the combine record for fastest 3-cone and shuttle times, I believe.

Also.. I remember previously thinking that Welker wasn't anything special as far as the level of athlete he is. I mean, you see a white WR out there, you obviously don't think that right off the bat haha. But I've seen him working out at practice and before games this offseason/season... and the guy is actually pretty jacked. Is he more "fit" than we give him credit for? Can he actually be classified as a "physical freak" (in a little different sense of the word)?

the first thing that jumps to mind when attempting to understand how welker is doing it thus far in 2011 is that he has the luxury of playing "pitch and catch" with the greatest quarterback of all time.

not to take away any of welker's physical talents (they are quite formidable, especially the quickness and change of direction ability), but compared to someone like megatron, who can put up monster numbers with journeymen quarterbacks, welker lacks the freakish athletic ability to take over games at will (although if he keeps this pace up, i will doubtless change my mind in this regard).

all in all, imo, welker seems much more dependent on a top tier quarterback than some of the other top wide receivers in the league.

all in all, imo, welker seems much more dependent on a top tier quarterback than some of the other top wide receivers in the league.

Welker with any QB who can throw the ball: very good, potential to lead his team in catches and yards
Welker with a Brady-caliber QB: OMFG :)

They do run plays for Welker, but it is also his physical ability to create separation quickly that makes him such a mismatch. Wes Welker was considered the best slot receiver in the NFL by many before this season. But hes taken it to another level. He can legitimately be considered a Top 5 all around WR in the NFL now. The playbook has opened up, Wes is one of the main weapons, and he is beating defenses in EVERY way imaginable, whether its inside, outside, short, or deep.

Let's be realistic. He can beat them inside, in the curl and flat and outside the sticks, but he will rarely beat them vertically. It's accurate to call him one of the best slot receivers.

I think it's more the perfect marriage of an offense designed to accompany him, and he maximizing his talent and ability.

but he will rarely beat them vertically.

It's become less rare because teams are trying to take away the curls or cuts and he's smart enough to break it deep and put his hand up. He's not going to beat them vertical in the traditional sense like a Vincent Jackson (tall) or Steve Smith (fast) but Brady and Welker are so locked in they're hitting more and more deep balls as witnessed by Welker's YPR.

It's become less rare because teams are trying to take away the curls or cuts and he's smart enough to break it deep and put his hand up. He's not going to beat them vertical in the traditional sense like a Vincent Jackson (tall) or Steve Smith (fast) but Brady and Welker are so locked in they're hitting more and more deep balls as witnessed by Welker's YPR.

He was open deep in the Oakland game. Ball wast under-thrown a little. If Tom puts the ball in front of him, he's gone.

He was open deep in the Oakland game. Ball wast under-thrown a little. If Tom puts the ball in front of him, he's gone.

Welker gets open deep from time to time but it's really because he's a smart guy who splits a seam or takes advantage of a blown press or other defensive miscue; he's just not a 2007 Moss/Holmes/Megatron guy who can beat NFL corners deep with any consistency

Dude. We all LOVE Welker, but no. Just no.

lulz i'm not saying welker is a goat like tom. Just that their story is very similar and both are examples of hard work and determination.

W ARRIOR

E LITE

L ITTLE

K
ILLER

E LOQUENT

R
ELIABLE

how can you not be eloquent w/ that press conference about feet? He was well spoken and still is.

Welker has tremendous heart and much like TFB he goes out there to prove people who wronged him in the Past.

What is there to understand? These words came to mind:) (I WAS TORN BETWEEN READY AND RELIABLE)

Last edited:
It's because he puts hi-test gasoline in the jet engine!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes