Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tryin to get in to College Football

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by NovaScotiaPatsFan, Sep 20, 2009.

1. NovaScotiaPatsFan

NovaScotiaPatsFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Hey all, I've been a fan of the NFL for a while now and my desire for football grows so I'm looking to try to get in to College Football, even though their playoff system blows.

I'm just wondering if some of you peeps who already follow it can educate me on things I might need to know, differences from the NFL, what the makeup of Division 1-a is, what the different conferences mean (Pac-10, big 8, etc)

Also, if I pick a team should I be able to follow that team? The choices I've narrowed it down to are USC, Michigan and Notre Dame, all of course because they have Patriots ties. My Cable company has a College Football pack as part of the super sports pack (which includes Sunday Ticket, Centre Ice, MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass, etc.) so if I get that should I be able to follow my team most weeks?

That's pretty much all I can think of as far as questions right now. Thanks for your time all.

Edit: I forgot the whole bowl thing. I know the national championship is picked by the BCS but what about the other bowl games, how important are they, like what is the benefit of winning them if any other than to say you're the champ of this bowl. How are the other bowl games selected. I think I remember hearing something about every division winner getting a bowl berth or something.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

NCAA Division I FBS National Football Championship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

College football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is all the schools in the Division 1 FBS(old 1A):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c4/Cfdia.PNG

Nearest one to you is Boston College in the ACC...although a second tier school for football that is usually good but not an elite level in the conference(they are a "basketball school" and "hockey school").

Outside the BCS bowl games the other bowl games are simply just for pride and their overall records as well as money for the schools' athletic programs. The teams that participate in the bowls are selected by the individual bowl bowl games who have a contract with the conferences to send representatives to the game. Who represents the conference is normally based on the conferences' standings although there instances where the committees choose a team with a stronger fan base support who travels to the game than the stronger finish in the standings(BC has had this happen a few times recently!). If the conference doesn't have a representative eligible for some games the bowls can then select anyone available among the independents and other conferences.

Any team who achieves six wins is considered "bowl eligible" and can participate in the games.