PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Try Meriweather at CB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Try Merriweather at CB

yeah....lets convert a pro-bowl safety to CB four weeks into the season:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This logic is backwards. Corners who have freelancing problems get moved to safety (a la Antrel Rolle) because that way they don't have to be as disciplined in coverage. If Meriweather were moved to corner what would happen is his free lancing problems would get exposed way more than they already do and the offense would have an easy time picking on him in coverage.

What some are forgetting is that Meriweather is transiting back to free safety (albeit it's his natural position) while he's had to play strong safety for most of his career in the NFL, that's not something that's gonna happen overnight. Before it was James Sanders/Brandon McGowan job to prevent the big play, provide over the top help, sometimes pick up the tight end in coverage, etc., now it's his job. There's gonna be plenty of bad moments in the short term (for instance Dustin Keller being wide open repeatedly a week ago), but once Meriweather gets comfortable at FS again it'll be by far their best safety duo since Wilson and Harrison.

Good info here, thanks.

yeah....lets convert a pro-bowl safety to CB four weeks into the season:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well ya gotta admit it's better than the thread where the poster wants to make Randy Moss into our FS

BB answered a question about development of our corners yesterday
What do the young cornerbacks in Devin McCourty and Darius Butler need to reach their full potential?

I think the two key things for cornerbacks, No. 1 is the length of the play. Defensive linemen, offensive linemen, those guys line up a few inches away from each other and then they’re engaged in the play and it all happens pretty quickly. Whereas if you’re on the perimeter, you can be in good position, you can be in good position, you can be in good position and the guy can catch it in the end. Or vice versa, you cannot be in good position and at the end of the play if you play the receiver properly you can knock it down.

It really extends the length of the play, and the cornerbacks coming into college they were just much better athletes than the guy they covered in college. Now they’re up against athletes who are just as good as they are, so it comes down to technique and just playing proper leverage and using your help and those kinds of things.

And the other key is the communication, getting the calls and understanding where your help is and kind of what technique we’re playing. That again is different from college because in college teams don’t see as much passing game as we see here. So I don’t think in this league you want to sit in the same thing all day, but in colleges some defenses do. In the NFL it’s a lot harder to do that. If you sit in the same defense all day, a good quarterback and a good receiver will take what you give them.

So those are the the two big adjustments, just A) the communication and understanding where everybody is on different route concepts, and B) the technique and the length of the play. To jam at the line of scrimmage, re-route the position, playing the ball in the air, receivers being good with putting up late hands, like Randy Moss does. He doesn’t put his hands up, you’re waiting for him to catch the ball and it’s in his hands, or back shoulder. And also how physical the receivers are, [they] slap you to get leverage and that kind of thing.
so what i could read from that is that without pressure upfront, no CB can cover all day.

Not a fan. He's been a safety his entire time in the NFL, and I expect him to be starting on this team going forward.

I'd rather take a freelancing Meriweather at S than James Sanders, anyway.

What?......You O.K.? I agree with JB once.
DW Toys

He's can't even keep his job at safety, what makes you think he play conerback ? Which takes more coverage skills. He's basically the Maroney of the defensive backs.

He is black and had dreads...that's about the extent of the similarities.

I supposed Brandon Spikes is the Merriweather of LB's?

Not fluid in the hips ... nope ... bad idea.

You need those classic ball and swivel hips as parcells would say.

He is black and had dreads...that's about the extent of the similarities.

I supposed Brandon Spikes is the Merriweather of LB's?

I know you're kidding, but the similarities between Merriweather and Maroney are about as real as you can get for players that play on different sides of the ball: Off the charts physical talent ultmately wasted for the most part, solid rookie seasons--then puzzling lack of consistent improvement, concerns about attitude and/or football smarts, poor fits for the systems they play[ed] in, players who probably will not be with the Pats when their rookie contracts expire.

Sounds like, had McGowan not been hurt, Merriweather might have been tried at CB. Now we're too thin at safety and BB is pretty much stuck with whatever Merriweather can offer at safety, for better or worse.

I know you're kidding, but the similarities between Merriweather and Maroney are about as real as you can get for players that play on different sides of the ball: Off the charts physical talent ultmately wasted for the most part, solid rookie seasons--then puzzling lack of consistent improvement, concerns about attitude and/or football smarts, poor fits for the systems they play[ed] in, players who probably will not be with the Pats when their rookie contracts expire.

Sounds like, had McGowan not been hurt, Merriweather might have been tried at CB. Now we're too thin at safety and BB is pretty much stuck with whatever Merriweather can offer at safety, for better or worse.

This is amazing. Are you sure you're talking about Brandon Meriweather, S, from Miami, who currently plays for the New England Patriots?

Solid rookie season? Brandon Meriweather? Maybe towards the end, but at the beginning of the year he couldn't tell his ass from a hole in the ground.

Solid rookie season? Brandon Meriweather? Maybe towards the end, but at the beginning of the year he couldn't tell his ass from a hole in the ground.

Exactly. Many of the cognoscenti on this board were calling him a bust by the end of his first year. And then saying there's no consistent improvement when there clearly has been.

And then there's the assertion that they were going to move BM to cornerback and play a guy who got benched last year because he wasn't good enough to start. And that's after it was shown, in this very thread, that they ran BM at CB when he was drafted and it didn't work out. Perhaps he'll be a better fit at the position now that he's played safety for four years :confused:

Last edited:

Brandon Meriweather is a pro bowl safety like David Garrard is a pro bowl QB

Brandon Meriweather is a pro bowl safety like David Garrard is a pro bowl QB

BM is a much better safety than Garrard is a quarterback.

This logic is backwards. Corners who have freelancing problems get moved to safety (a la Antrel Rolle) because that way they don't have to be as disciplined in coverage. If Meriweather were moved to corner what would happen is his free lancing problems would get exposed way more than they already do and the offense would have an easy time picking on him in coverage.

What some are forgetting is that Meriweather is transiting back to free safety (albeit it's his natural position) while he's had to play strong safety for most of his career in the NFL, that's not something that's gonna happen overnight. Before it was James Sanders/Brandon McGowan job to prevent the big play, provide over the top help, sometimes pick up the tight end in coverage, etc., now it's his job. There's gonna be plenty of bad moments in the short term (for instance Dustin Keller being wide open repeatedly a week ago), but once Meriweather gets comfortable at FS again it'll be by far their best safety duo since Wilson and Harrison.
I'll throw the challenge flag on that one.

Meriweather played FS, SS, and CB in college, his first season as a starter - an injury replacement for Harrison - he came in at SS and played very well except in the mass ratio challenges of tackling in the box. The next year he was moved to FS and McGowan got the early start at SS. When McGowan was pulled, NE left Meriweather at FS and used Sanders as the in-the-box man. I'm not sold on the transition argument based on team history, his freelancing statement aside, where he struggled last year - and apparently this year - is getting a young secondary lined up, thus Sanders getting more playing time to end last season and start this season.

As to the Meriweather CB experiment: it was my impression back then that BB was trying to find another, ballhawking gambler to replace Asante. Since Meriweather self-reported his discipline issues regarding assignments, I'm now wondering if that is a problem which first manifested when he was trying to learn CB? I never felt BB ignored CB in the plans to replace Samuels, it appeared to have been a swing and a miss, and we may be getting some context as to what pitch got him.

I felt at the beginning of last season that Meriweather should stay at SS for his play making skills at cutting off throwing lanes and jumping routes, instead they wanted his speed overtop - fair enough. This season should have been the best of both worlds with Meri overtop and the brick wall of Chung playing in the box, perhaps flipping those assignments would be a "fix" for the team, but then you have a second year S and one who apparently struggles as a Field Marshall - and no Bodden. It is what it is, Meriweather is playing at a slightly lower level then I expected from him given the pre-draft hype and his draft rank, but he's nowhere close to a bust and he's an asset BB & Co. are finding ways to use, hopefully Chung's Field Marshall OJT program is progressing well.

(And now there's another reason why my draftnikking fellows will think me balmy for picking Safety as NE's current highest priority in the 2011 draft. :yeeha: )

(And now there's another reason why my draftnikking fellows will think me balmy for picking Safety as NE's current highest priority in the 2011 draft. :yeeha: )

I'll just respond with a: :confused:

This is amazing. Are you sure you're talking about Brandon Meriweather, S, from Miami, who currently plays for the New England Patriots?

Maybe I should have just said "puzzling lack of consistency" or, in BM's case, his regression from last season. The words "frustrating" and "enigmatic" now best describe him, much as they did Maroney.

Back on topic, I'm just saying that we might very well have seen BB trying Merriweather at CB by now if McGowan was still around.

Last edited:

Maybe I should have just said "puzzling lack of consistency" or, in BM's case, his regression from last season. The words "frustrating" and "enigmatic" now best describe him, much as they did Maroney.

Back on topic, I'm just saying that we might very well have seen BB trying Merriweather at CB by now if McGowan was still around.

Again.......

... when Meriweather first arrived in New England he was tried at cornerback and it wasn't a fit. I think his best position is safety. If he's not back there, I think it has to be James Sanders because of his ability to get everyone lined up, which is an underrated and often overlooked aspect of the job description.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back