PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Try Meriweather at CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
Comin out all we heard is that he could even be a cornerback. Since he's not starting at safety why not try him at cb where he has less of a chance to freelance. Cant benmuch worse then
Arrington.

Re: Try Merriweather at CB

Not a fan. He's been a safety his entire time in the NFL, and I expect him to be starting on this team going forward.

I'd rather take a freelancing Meriweather at S than James Sanders, anyway.

Comin out all we heard is that he could even be a cornerback. Since he's not starting at safety why not try him at cb where he has less of a chance to freelance. Cant benmuch worse then
Arrington.

I'm open to anything at cornerback.

i said itbefore. he lacks size and determination to be a top safety in the league, but can do the job at CB .

We all know that Sanders is a JAG , but i ll take Meri-Sanders-Chung--McCourty over Arrington-Meri-Chung-McCourty in a heartbeat

Polamalu: 5'10" 207
Meriweather: 5'11" 200
Reed: 5'11" 200

Clearly, Meriweather lacks the size to be a safety in the NFL.

He's can't even keep his job at safety, what makes you think he play conerback ? Which takes more coverage skills. He's basically the Maroney of the defensive backs.

I call dibs on starting this exact same thread tomorrow.

He's can't even keep his job at safety, what makes you think he play conerback ? Which takes more coverage skills. He's basically the Maroney of the defensive backs.

Brilliant post. Clearly the fact that he only played 40/56 snaps against the Bills means he can't keep his job at safety.

He's come clean and admitted it was his own fault. Having another position open for him with a determination to learn new situations is encouraging.

Cool. Four years in lets switch a starting safety to CB. Sounds like a neat idea.

What do people expect from not one, not two, but now basically three first year starting CBs?? Because now that Arrington has been thrown into the mix, its his first go 'round, too.

You have to know, its gonna take all season for these young CBs to gain enough experience at this level to consistently compete. Theyre as GREEN as it gets. Id safely say they're playing far worse football now than they will be in November and December. Lets just hope we're not out of it by then, so the games will still matter. Im thinking we'll be right in the thick of things late in the year.

You take your lumps in this league. And right now, our young corners are doing just that. People just need to be patient. It WILL get better.

From Reiss' mailbag:

... when Meriweather first arrived in New England he was tried at cornerback and it wasn't a fit. I think his best position is safety. If he's not back there, I think it has to be James Sanders because of his ability to get everyone lined up, which is an underrated and often overlooked aspect of the job description.

And there you have it.

Polamalu: 5'10" 207
Meriweather: 5'11" 200
Reed: 5'11" 200

Clearly, Meriweather lacks the size to be a safety in the NFL.

Buffalo cut Jim Leonard because they didn't think he was big enough to play S too, being only 5-8, 190#. Then Baltimore and the Jets picked him up, and he has been a starting S on very good defensive teams.

Size is not Meriweather's issue. Getting out of position and taking poor pursuit angles have been his problems. It is all mental, the kid is a great athlete.

His coverage skills are better than any of the safeties. The problems he has at safety are more disciplinary, like biting on play fakes and taking bad angles.
Could Meriweather step in and play CB better than Arrington? I think so.
Would it be useful long term? No. With the team's progress over the season in mind, a) we need Butler to get reps at corner and b) we need Meriweather to get reps at safety.

Besides, just because he isnt on the first package doesn't mean he's off the field. 40/57 snaps is a lot.

I'm with Jack and Mustapha - he's better kept at safety. As was discussed in another thread, he can be very good as long as his technique and discipline stay in good form. It seems like the mistakes he usually makes are bad form, not because he is outmatched physically. I'm hoping that he cracks down, practices hard, and learns from his mistakes, because I think he'll be a great safety if he does.

Meriweather is the Maroney of the DBs, I think so. We overrate him seriously . For example Chung has showed more commitment in 3 games that Brandon in 4 years in leadership and attitude .

Meriweather is the Maroney of the DBs, I think so. We overrate him seriously . For example Chung has showed more commitment in 3 games that Brandon in 4 years in leadership and attitude .

Thanks, Dr. Phil.

I swear some of you think managing a team is right out of the Madden video game series :confused:.

Meriweather is 1 year removed from the pro bowl which means he was considered one of the best at his position and some want to switch him because of some minor struggles?

There is no Troy Brown Mr do-it-all on this team,the players are pretty much set at where they are and will be all season long...live with it

I don't think anyone here would say he earned that Pro Bowl berth :D

Yeremiah Bell of the Dolphins was definitely more deserving (although I think he went too because of the Super bowl iirc)

Since he's not starting at safety why not try him at cb where he has less of a chance to freelance.
This logic is backwards. Corners who have freelancing problems get moved to safety (a la Antrel Rolle) because that way they don't have to be as disciplined in coverage. If Meriweather were moved to corner what would happen is his free lancing problems would get exposed way more than they already do and the offense would have an easy time picking on him in coverage.

What some are forgetting is that Meriweather is transiting back to free safety (albeit it's his natural position) while he's had to play strong safety for most of his career in the NFL, that's not something that's gonna happen overnight. Before it was James Sanders/Brandon McGowan job to prevent the big play, provide over the top help, sometimes pick up the tight end in coverage, etc., now it's his job. There's gonna be plenty of bad moments in the short term (for instance Dustin Keller being wide open repeatedly a week ago), but once Meriweather gets comfortable at FS again it'll be by far their best safety duo since Wilson and Harrison.

This logic is backwards. Corners who have freelancing problems get moved to safety (a la Antrel Rolle) because that way they don't have to be as disciplined in coverage. If Meriweather were moved to corner what would happen is his free lancing problems would get exposed way more than they already do and the offense would have an easy time picking on him in coverage.

What some are forgetting is that Meriweather is transiting back to free safety (albeit it's his natural position) while he's had to play strong safety for most of his career in the NFL, that's not something that's gonna happen overnight. Before it was James Sanders/Brandon McGowan job to prevent the big play, provide over the top help, sometimes pick up the tight end in coverage, etc., now it's his job. There's gonna be plenty of bad moments in the short term (for instance Dustin Keller being wide open repeatedly a week ago), but once Meriweather gets comfortable at FS again it'll be by far their best safety duo since Wilson and Harrison.
You're a pretty refreshing poster. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back