Welcome to PatsFans.com

Truthout finally speaks about Rove exhoneration

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Jun 22, 2006.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

http://forum.truthout.org/blog/story.../19/185947/499

Returning to "06 cr 128"

By Marc Ash,

Wed Jun 21st, 2006 at 04:27:32 PM EDT :: Fitzgerald Investigation

What will follow will be a rather frank discussion of our reporting of and involvement in the Rove indictment matter. If you like simple answers or quick resolutions, turn back now. This is our report to our readership. Our primary sources for this report are career federal law enforcement and federal government officials speaking on condition of anonymity. This report was developed under the supervision of all of Truthout's senior editors, which should be taken as an indication that we view this matter with the utmost seriousness.

... After spending the past month retracing our steps and confirming facts, we've come full circle. Our sources continue to maintain that a grand jury has in fact returned an indictment. Our sources said that parts of the indictment were read to Karl Rove and his attorney on Friday, May 12, 2006. Last week, we pointed to a sealed federal indictment, case number "06 cr 128," which is still sealed and we are still pointing to it. During lengthy conversations with our sources over the past month, they reiterated that the substance of our report on May 13, 2006, was correct, and immediately following our report, Karl Rove's status in the CIA leak probe changed. In summary, as we press our investigation we find indicators that more of our key facts are correct, not less.

Our sources provided us with additional detail, saying that Fitzgerald is apparently examining closely Dick Cheney's role in the Valerie Plame matter, and apparently sought information and evidence from Karl Rove that would provide documentation of Cheney's involvement. Rove apparently was reluctant to cooperate and Fitzgerald, it appears, was pressuring him to do so, our sources told us.

Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald's investigation is a unique chapter in American history. The probe has managed to shed light into the inner recesses of perhaps the most secretive presidential administration in US history. His mission is not political, and he will not allow it to be.

However, we call upon the Special Counsel to consider the right of the American people to know what has happened. Nothing, we believe, is more important to the survival of democracy than the light of justice, and nothing more damaging than the curtain of secrecy that today surrounds the highest office in the land.

2. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

This is an example of how sometimes it's better to cut your losses rather than dig deeper.

They were wrong on the story. It's not the first time it's happened to a reporter and it certainly won't be the last.

3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i have to believe if they felt they were wrong, they would own up at this point, under this much scrutiny.... there is still no proof that "sealed vs. sealed" file wasn't Rove...

All indications suggest that a high-level power play pulled the plug on the process... If I were Fitzgerald, I'd happily trade the Rove fish, for the Cheney fish...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  4. SoonerPatriot

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Frankly, even though I think Rove is a cretin, I never really thought he would be indicted. These people have enough power to circumvent justice whenever and wherever they want. Libby will be pardoned anyway, along with Ken Lay.

5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

all presidents care about their legacy... do you seriously believe Bush would further tarnish his own by pardoning such high-profile, dubious figures as Libby and Lay?

6. SoonerPatriot

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Clinton pardoned a couple of guys, though they were much lower profile. After six years, I don't understimate anything people in power would do. The past 6 years have completely undone any idealism I've had about our govt. -- on both sides of the aisle.

I've come to view DC as a place where America's worst go to fatten their bank accounts and accumlate power so they can fatten their wallets some more. I can count on two hands the number of people in Congress who I think genuinely give a rip about the people they represent. And I mean people, not corporate interests.

And frankly, I think W's legacy runs a lot deeper than whatever he does with Lay and Libby. 9-11, postwar Iraq, the Afghanistan campaign/occupation, wire taps, tax cuts etc., immigration will rank well ahead of a couple of pardons when historians start breaking down his legacy. With all that has gone on in this country since 2000, Lay and Libby are footnotes at this point. Though the thought of Ken Lay dying in prison warms my heart.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2005
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +519 / 14 / -28

He may do this, but on his last day, he believes he is above the law and the Constitution is just a "piece of paper".

8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -12

Your link to the blog doesn't work. Did they pull the article?

9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

I wonder if Jeffersons money has thawed out yet?

Hillary & Billy Blue Dress should return the Knives & Forks.

Cynthia McKinney abuses her husband.

John Fonda Kerry wears his medals when he watches TV.

Al Boob Gore is having "Shock Treatments"

Uncle Teddy sits in his sisters car and drinks Vodka (they won't give him the keys)

Patrick Patches Kennedy sits in Nancy Pelosi's car and drinks Vodka (they won't give him the keys)

Harry Reid shadow boxes in the mens room.

Leaky Lahey made love to a Cow in Vermont.

Robert Byrd burned a Cross in his garage.

Hillary watches dirty movies with Helen Thomas.

Michael Moore watches dirty movies with Jimmy Sissy Carter.

GW Bush just Grins and Mumbles.

10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

gosh, havent' seen such a bunch of high schoolish hyperbole in a long time... assigning clever middle names to figures you don't agree with? that's rich... you must win all arguments with that wit...

11. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +351 / 15 / -12

Interesting that Truthout is sticking by its source. Either Truthout's source is wrong or right. It's possible, but not likely that Rove and his attorney would lie so publicly. It's also possible that Rove was in trouble but made a last-minute deal of some sort. We'll have to wait and see.

And presscoverage, don't mind Harry. He's just very sensitive. It's best to ignore him when he gets like that.

13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -12

Either they know something or they're too dumb to stop digging when the hole is deep and caving in.