PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TRUTH & RUMORS: Raiders make WR choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny Z said:
I think the guy is mediocre. He flashes, and then he fizzles.

Anybody who thinks Tom Brady will make this guy passable as a WR needs to check on big WRs like David Terrell, Donald Hayes, and Andre Davis.

It's amazing how often big WRs come up short, and yet...people still believe in the nonsense.

It's also amazing how many small WRs come up huge.

I wonder if you have watched him play over the last couple of years.

I have been watching the Oakland WR situation with some interest and Curry and Gabriel jumped out as guys that were little known, but very good receivers.

In my opinion, both are better than Jerry Porter, but both have had issues with injuries that have limited their playing time.

For the original poster, the very next quote on that website stated:

"Despite Raiders WR Jerry Porter's desire to leave, there was zero trade interest in him throughout training camp -- numerous NFL personnel executives have confirmed this."

The same lack of interest probably would have prohibited them from trading Curry since he is just coming back from an injury whereas Gabriel has had a strong preseason to reinforce his play over the last two seasons.

In other words, Gabriel's trade value was higher than Porter's and Curry's were at this time.

PonyExpress said:
Here's a quick two year analysis of Doug Gabriel.

In 2004, Gabriel had the lowest completion percentage (39.5%) of any receiver in the league who had 50 passes or more thrown to him. He dropped 6 passes out of the 83 thrown at him, had 10 bad passes thrown at him, a very high number for his number of attempts. Also, Kerry Collins had the lowest comp % of any QB in the league (52.6%)except Michael Vick, and the only Qbs who threw a higher percentage of bad passes were Harrington, Boller, and Volek. Collins was also bottom tier as far a general accuracy. Part of this was the result of the Oakland O-line, part the result of Collins' historical inaccuracy. So we can say that Gabriel, who was thrust unexpectedly into the starting lineup that year, his second in the league, was unprepared and also had a putrid passer throwing to him in a terrible offense.

In 2005, Gabriel made great improvements, his completion percentage rising to 56.1% from 39.5%, performing better across the board in his limited opportunities, surprisingly, than either Moss or Porter. This is especially apparent when you consider that Collins only completed 53.6% of his passes. To compare Gabriel with Givens from last year, Brady completed 62.8% of his passes, and Givens caught at a 65.2% rate. Also, Kerry Collins had a 6.5 YPA and Gabriel caught to an 8.8 YPA; Brady had a 7.7 YPA and Givens an 8.1 YPA.

My conclusion is that Givens and Gabriel are comparable, with Gabriel perhaps offering a better deep threat but still an unknown quantity in the clutch in competitive situations. To me, an excellent pick-up.
I'll add to the appreciation. Really good information to help us guess what we might expect. Thanks !!

deeds said:
This is an awesome quote! You are right, who needs to bring facts into the mix.... What i don't get is all those Raiders fans freaking out over Gabriel getting traded if he was truly a problem.....

because, as some one else mentioned, it's post-trade spin put out by Al Davis to Raiders fans who couldn't believe he traded him away for a 5th pick.

After leading the NFL with 328 receiving yards during the exhibition season, Green Bay rookie Greg Jennings will line up opposite Donald Driver on Sunday against the Bears.
-- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

i kept sayin how much i wanted this guy
who knows what his nfl career will be like
but hes got a good start

Slagathor said:
For a supposed 5th round pick, It's worth the gamble.

As of right now, he is statistically and sadly our best WR.

I also have a feeling that being on the Raiders for any length of time can make anyone an inconsistant douchebag.

He had a good pre-season, and with more playing time with Tom Brady, you could see increased consistancy.

"I also have a feeling that being on the Raiders for any length of time can make anyone an inconsistant douchebag."

I have to admit that I think this is one of the greatest quotes that I have ever read here at Patsfans.com.....absolutely accurate, and right to the point.....brilliant work slagathor.......brilliant!

broadwayjoe said:
Why did the Raiders trade Doug Gabriel? Don't assume it's because Jerry Porter is back in good graces with the Raiders' organization. The Raiders realized Gabriel was a player who was inconsistent on the field, dropping more passes than he caught, and someone who was a little more self-important than he deserved to be. Meanwhile, the team saw more upside with a healthy Ronald Curry.
-- San Francisco Chronicle

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scorecard/09/06/truth.rumors.nfl/index.html

I guess we will soon see how consistent Gabriel is in the Patriots offense.

obviously Gabriel must have pissed off some reporter from San Fran....that is all this says to me.....

Slagathor said:
For a supposed 5th round pick, It's worth the gamble.

As of right now, he is statistically and sadly our best WR.

I also have a feeling that being on the Raiders for any length of time can make anyone an inconsistant douchebag.

He had a good pre-season, and with more playing time with Tom Brady, you could see increased consistancy.

Being a deep threat, at the very least he can be a decoy to open up the routes for our TEs. This is is still a good trade.

stcjones said:
obviously Gabriel must have pissed off some reporter from San Fran....that is all this says to me.....
they have to make the niners look good some how

Johnny Z said:
I think the guy is mediocre. He flashes, and then he fizzles.

Anybody who thinks Tom Brady will make this guy passable as a WR needs to check on big WRs like David Terrell, Donald Hayes, and Andre Davis.

It's amazing how often big WRs come up short, and yet...people still believe in the nonsense.

It's also amazing how many small WRs come up huge.

Well, the whole line that Gabriel dropped more than he caught is BS. I don't have the link on this computer, but Givens led the league last year with 9 dropped balls. Gabriel didn't have near that many.

WR leaders in most dropped passes for 2005, and by percentage:

M. Muhammad 18
Buress 17
C. Chambers 17
J. McCareins 16
A. Bryant 16
J. Galloway 14
D. Stallworth 14
E. Kennison 14
A Boldin 14
T. Holt 13
G. Lewis 13
R. Brown 13
E. Wilford 13
R. Williams 13
J. Porter 12
Note: Givens and Branch both had 8

Worst Drop %
Wilford 19.4
McCareins 16.3
R. Brown 16.3
Finneran 14.5
R. Williams 14.3
A. Bryant 13.9
M. Muhammad 13.6
E. Kennison 13.1
G. Lewis 12.5
M. Clayton 11.1
C. Chambers 10.9

Note: Givens was 8.8%, 35th worst out of 57, Branch 6.7%, 15th.

As far as Doug Gabriel is concerned, in 2004, his second season, when he was a much worse receiver, his drop percentage was 7.2%, which would have ranked him 20th best in the league, right behind HINES FREAKIN' WARD. As usual the Raiders are full of %$#*&.

PonyExpress said:
Here's a quick two year analysis of Doug Gabriel.

In 2004, Gabriel had the lowest completion percentage (39.5%) of any receiver in the league who had 50 passes or more thrown to him. He dropped 6 passes out of the 83 thrown at him, had 10 bad passes thrown at him, a very high number for his number of attempts.

I guess I'm missing something.

So you say he had 83 passes thrown to him with a 39.5% completion percentage.

He had 6 drops, and 10 bad passes thrown at him. So that is 16 incompletes. Of 83 passes, 16 incompletes comes to around 20% incompletes, which would mean the other 80% complete.

So either there are another 30+ incompletes unaccounted for, or I am misunderstanding where the 39.5% comes from.

sarge said:
I guess I'm missing something.

So you say he had 83 passes thrown to him with a 39.5% completion percentage.

He had 6 drops, and 10 bad passes thrown at him. So that is 16 incompletes. Of 83 passes, 16 incompletes comes to around 20% incompletes, which would mean the other 80% complete.

So either there are another 30+ incompletes unaccounted for, or I am misunderstanding where the 39.5% comes from.

Factor in the presence of the defense (such as passes defensed and INTS), intentionally overthrown balls (which are not "bad passes" since they are intentional), balls tipped at the LOS, passes which are not terrible but which require acrobatics to catch or keep inbounds, and times when the QB is hit while throwing, which are not technically the QBs fault.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back