PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TRUTH & RUMORS: QB Young out of top 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting. Clearly an amazing athlete and competitor, he must really be crapping the bed in his workouts and that Wonderlic test score certainly isn't helping him any.

I never realized how much stock scouts put in the Wonderlic until this year.

DocAdkinsDiet said:
Very interesting. Clearly an amazing athlete and competitor, he must really be crapping the bed in his workouts and that Wonderlic test score certainly isn't helping him any.

I know thats right I didn't realize it either.

Vince Young has tremendous talent, but he is a media creation that doesn't translate well into the NFL. As a first rounder, he will be a tweener of sorts for whatever team selects him. I think most, if not all, NFL teams were aware of this even before the combine. IMHO, his slipping in mock drafts has more to do with the media's new awareness of his weaknesses rather than his test scores.

DocAdkinsDiet said:

Not to shoot the messenger here, Doc, but I'd like to know, if he had an IQ of 150, what more he could have done in his bowl games of the last two years. We've all heard about Dan Marino's low score in the Wonderlic, how about good old boy Bret Favre? Just wondering.

Vince does seem like a bit of a distant, or vacant dude (opposite of TB), so maybe he's been mailing in the workouts.

Fanfrom1960 said:
Not to shoot the messenger here, Doc, but I'd like to know, if he had an IQ of 150, what more he could have done in his bowl games of the last two years. We've all heard about Dan Marino's low score in the Wonderlic, how about good old boy Bret Favre? Just wondering.

Vince does seem like a bit of a distant, or vacant dude (opposite of TB), so maybe he's been mailing in the workouts.

I gotta agree. Not so sure VY brings the intangibles to the table that a Tom Brady does (making those around you better), but I'll take what I saw where he brought Texas back by himself against USC to win the national title, and broke my heart by beating my team the year before. The guy just plays, and to me is being hurt by Michael Vick comparisons. He's a better QB than Vick.

Young won't make it past the Raiders or Cardinals........BOOK IT!

Michigan Dave said:
The guy just plays, and to me is being hurt by Michael Vick comparisons. He's a better QB than Vick.

I agree there's some of that. But I also suspect that's he's hurt by the likes of Alex Smith...great-looking college qb's who have to make major adjustments to their offensive style for the NFL. The time to readiness is a huge factor. Young has exceptional talent but he's a work in progress, while a Matt Leinart has been playing a much more NFL-style QB. (Even Matt Cassel benefited from that system without even playing it.) And look at all the teams dangling high draft picks in front of the Falcons for Matt Schaub, because they think he's ready to take over an offense immediately.

MrTibbs said:
Young won't make it past the Raiders or Cardinals........BOOK IT!

I concur with this opinion 110%. I'll be surprised if he gets past the Titans.....

Feep_FLA said:
I concur with this opinion 110%. I'll be surprised if he gets past the Titans.....
Many think he'll be taken there..are these just ploys to get by teams??

Feep_FLA said:
I'm with you guys.
This guy is no Alex Smith either, he's huge and fast. He is already a better passer then Vick. I don't think there will be another qb that you will be able to compare to this guy.

Murphys95 said:
Vince Young has tremendous talent, but he is a media creation that doesn't translate well into the NFL.

A media creation? :confused:

This so-called media creation single handily defeated the best college football team of the last 10 years. Here's a few of his collegiate accomplishments…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_young

• Vince is the first and only player in NCAA I-A history to pass for 3,000 yards and rush for 1,000 yards in the same season. He is also the only player to reach the 2,500/1,000 mark in a season.
• Win/loss record as a starter of 30-2 as of January 5, 2006, ranking him #1 of all UT quarterbacks by number of wins. His .938 winning percentage as a starting quarterback ranks sixth best in Division I history.
• Vince’s career passing completion percentage is the best in UT history, 61.8%.

Also, by almost every account, VY looked impressive in his pro-day workout.

If anything, the media has been AGAINST VY… "Pretty boy Leinart has the mechanics and intangibles. Don't worry about results, workout warrior Cutler should go ahead of VY." What else does VY have to do to win over the critics? Rebuild the WTC while balancing on one foot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back