PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TRUTH & RUMORS: Flutie to hang 'em up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ilduce06410 said:
flutie's never been hard to find around here.
how about one of boston's world-class sportswriters just calls him up and asks him?
i find it hard to believe BB would put matt cassell into a game, with brady hurt, if flutie was available.
i also will eat my hat the day they let vinatieri or mcginest walk.
:rofl: I was about to disagree with you about putting Cassel in over Flutie, then I reread your last sentence. :D

Rumours? I heard Lobel say last night he was retiring. I don't see why anyone would be remotely surprised. I thought this was a given going into last season.

On the WEEI flashes they are reporting that Flutie has been contacted about the report and has said he has not made any decision. He said he has been contacted by a half dozen teams in the NFL and CFL and has also had some broadcasting offers he is weighting. He had reportedly said previously if he continued to play it would only be here.

The report emanated from Steve Burton from what I gather and he may have jumped the gun. This is a little like the scenario under which we signed Doug last season. Maybe he just wants to know if BB "wants" him back while BB seems to sound as if he's waiting to see if Doug "wants" to play on. Perhaps Brady will again step in and force them both to arrive at a decision.

Far as I'm concerned Doug makes more sense than anyone else currently available since he knows the team, coaches, system and his role.

Another underhanded publicity move by the mighty midget. Hang 'em up, Dougie......PLEASE!

ilduce06410 said:
i find it hard to believe BB would put matt cassell into a game, with brady hurt, if flutie was available.
Why not? He's had a year in the system.

When our #1 got hurt in 2001, we didn't go with the veteran. BB put in the young guy, who had greater potential than the vet (none of us knew how MUCH potential)

Same here. Brady goes down, put in the QB of the future if he can handle the job, and Cassel (bow heads) showed against Miami he could handle the job.

I think most of us now believe Cassel is another diamond in the rough and made great strides last season that showed Pete wasn't BS'ing when he said the Lienart decision was pretty much a coin flip. But in typical BB fashion he is not ready to annoint the youngster per his comments yesterday. Liked the development, wants to see that there is more where that came from. In that scenario you don't fill the roster with another developmental guy. And you hedge your bets by filling the 3 hole with a veteran guy who could play.

Now Fiedler if healthy might have more upside than Flutie, but he doesn't have the experience with this offense, he's injury prone, he likely wants both more than veteran minimum and is still looking for his shot to get back to being a starter. Rattay too still wants to find a way to break in. I don't see anything else on the current market that would be a fit. Huard might be OK if he were to become available, but he's been injured and hasn't thrown a pass in game action in years.

Some of the mindless haters would still rather rid their world of Dougie than do what is easiest and probably best for the team. So what else is new...

spacecrime said:
Why not? He's had a year in the system.

When our #1 got hurt in 2001, we didn't go with the veteran. BB put in the young guy, who had greater potential than the vet (none of us knew how MUCH potential)

Same here. Brady goes down, put in the QB of the future if he can handle the job, and Cassel (bow heads) showed against Miami he could handle the job.
Agree with you about Cassel (genuflect) and I think Ilduce may as well since he ended with " i also will eat my hat the day they let vinatieri or mcginest walk." :D

MoLewisrocks said:
I think most of us now believe Cassel is another diamond in the rough and made great strides last season that showed Pete wasn't BS'ing when he said the Lienart decision was pretty much a coin flip. But in typical BB fashion he is not ready to annoint the youngster per his comments yesterday. Liked the development, wants to see that there is more where that came from. In that scenario you don't fill the roster with another developmental guy. And you hedge your bets by filling the 3 hole with a veteran guy who could play.

Now Fiedler if healthy might have more upside than Flutie, but he doesn't have the experience with this offense, he's injury prone, he likely wants both more than veteran minimum and is still looking for his shot to get back to being a starter. Rattay too still wants to find a way to break in. I don't see anything else on the current market that would be a fit. Huard might be OK if he were to become available, but he's been injured and hasn't thrown a pass in game action in years.

Some of the mindless haters would still rather rid their world of Dougie than do what is easiest and probably best for the team. So what else is new...

That's just what happened in Buffalo when in the late 90s the Bills had their last 'window of opportunity' at the playoffs and the owner anc coach went with loser Rob Johnson instead, thereby pissing away post season oppportunities for a good team.

That aside, there's a point when you're too old to play. Arm strength goes and reactions slow a bit from NFL speed. You'd think that mid-40s would be that time. Maybe it IS time to retire. I'd favor a 40 yr old Flutie who knows the system over another vet but Flutie is several years older than 40 this fall.

And yeah, Feidler, whom I'd like to orchestrate the team at backup if recovered, would want more than the minimum and would seek an oppportunity where he'd have a shot at being a #1.

Garbanza said:
Another underhanded publicity move by the mighty midget. Hang 'em up, Dougie......PLEASE!

He may be hyped, but he's certainly not as overrated as Chris Drury...

I did not go to BU, nor do I follow Hockey.

But, come to think of it - Doug Flutie DOES have something in common with a BU alum (I think he graduated) - Mike Eruzione. They both made BIG careers out of ONE lucky play and became local heroes forever - charging big bucks to speak at Board meetings at Fidelity, State Street Bank, Etc....

Suckers.....

LOL!

Last edited:
Garbanza said:

But, come to think of it - Doug Flutie DOES have something in common with a BU alum (I think he graduated) - Mike Eruzione. They both made BIG careers out of ONE lucky play and became local heroes forever - charging big bucks to speak at Board meetings at Fidelity, State Street Bank, Etc....

Suckers.....

LOL!

Not really. Eruzione and Flutie did have signature plays, but I dont think Eruzione did anything after leaving BU. Flutie has set records in Canada and has had an NFL career that has lasted forever. I see your point, but its not really valid.

I have to agree with you somewhat.....

Garbanza said:

Suckers.....

LOL!

Although occasionally showing flashes of brilliance....Doug was hugely overrated......once teams figured out how to contain him and make him force a throw...it was interception heaven..........I do think he was well suited at the CFL level talent wise and with the way they play the game up there....heck his brother even did OK up there and he couldn't even sniff a chance in the NFL......big time difference in the big show of the NFL!!!! One man's opinion.....

stcjones said:
Although occasionally showing flashes of brilliance....Doug was hugely overrated......once teams figured out how to contain him and make him force a throw...it was interception heaven..........I do think he was well suited at the CFL level talent wise and with the way they play the game up there....heck his brother even did OK up there and he couldn't even sniff a chance in the NFL......big time difference in the big show of the NFL!!!! One man's opinion.....

Flutie was a 6-time CFL MVP and a 3-time Grey Cup MVP. He still holds a ton of records there including most TD's (48) in a season. Canadian league? Sure, its not the NFL, but if it were easy, why didn't any other CFL QB do it? The guy isn't Joe Montana, but its not like this guy is Scott Secules either.

good point Jacky

Jacky Roberts said:
Flutie was a 6-time CFL MVP and a 3-time Grey Cup MVP. He still holds a ton of records there including most TD's (48) in a season. Canadian league? Sure, its not the NFL, but if it were easy, why didn't any other CFL QB do it? The guy isn't Joe Montana, but its not like this guy is Scott Secules either.

"The guy isn't Joe Montana, but its not like this guy is Scott Secules either"

you are right Jacky...Flutie is better than Scott Secules ;)......

good points.....

MoLewisrocks said:
On the WEEI flashes they are reporting that Flutie has been contacted about the report and has said he has not made any decision. He said he has been contacted by a half dozen teams in the NFL and CFL and has also had some broadcasting offers he is weighting. He had reportedly said previously if he continued to play it would only be here.

The report emanated from Steve Burton from what I gather and he may have jumped the gun. This is a little like the scenario under which we signed Doug last season. Maybe he just wants to know if BB "wants" him back while BB seems to sound as if he's waiting to see if Doug "wants" to play on. Perhaps Brady will again step in and force them both to arrive at a decision.

Far as I'm concerned Doug makes more sense than anyone else currently available since he knows the team, coaches, system and his role.

His role? His role Mo? Everybody knows that he is nothing but a trouble maker. He tried to get all the glory last season and caused a rift in the clubhouse. Then he tried to steel the show with the drop kick. That was nothing but a slap in the face to Brady. His role is mischeivous. lol.

stcjones said:

I don't think it was a talent issue in the NFL. If Doug were 4-5 inches taller he could have seen over the rear ends on the offensive line. He had to step into the passing lanes to find a receiver and that is why he did not do well in the NFL. He just couldn't see over the OL & DL to find the target. In the CFL, the boys are much smaller. That is my theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back