Welcome to PatsFans.com

Truly a great cause, but can we afford it?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +816 / 7 / -2

I'm not trying to criticize the bill, or helping people abroad, I'm merely wondering where all the money is going to come from. We're tossing out billions like it's candy. A great cause here, no doubt, but where's it going to come from?

News
    07/24/2008 10:58:02 EST

House ready to OK $48B in global AIDS fight

By JIM ABRAMS
    Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Expanding on a program that has saved and prolonged the lives of millions in Africa alone, the House prepared Thursday to pass and send to President Bush legislation that triples money to fight AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis around the world.
    Bush, who first floated the idea of a campaign against the scourge of global AIDs in his 2003 State of the Union speech, supports the five-year, $48 billion plan.

The current $15 billion act, which expires at the end of September, has helped bring lifesaving anti-retroviral drugs to some 1.7 million and supported care for nearly 7 million. It has won plaudits from some of Bush's harshest critics both in Congress and around the world. Democrats in the Senate, which passed the bill last week, hailed it as one of the most significant accomplishments of the Bush presidency.

The President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, known as PEPFAR, is "the largest commitment ever by any nation for an international health initiative," said Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart, R-Fla.

http://kevxml2a.verizon.net/_1_H28T...0&qcat=health&ran=16579&passqi=&feed=ap&top=1

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +692 / 17 / -18

#24 Jersey

I'm against it. $48B or $48. The governmet has no right to send this kind of money overseas other than to fight a direct threat to our country. If they want to set up a (non tax deductable) charity for people to choose to donate to - fine. $48,000,000,000 divided by 300,000,000 people, if I did my math right comes to $160 from every adult and child (assuming 300M in the country). That's $640 from my family - which balances out the tax rebate I got.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008