PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

True or False

Status
Not open for further replies.
False. The way the NFL's broadcasting policy is, there will be parts of the country that won't even get this game. It won't be the only game on at 4PM. Most of the West Coast teams will be playing at 4PM. If CBS, doesn't get the double header that weekend (which I would think they would, but who knows), then most of the country outside of New England and Indy would be watching whatever the marque 4PM game is on Fox.

Not exactly true. Take a look at the Week 9 schedule...

Arizona at Tampa Bay 1:00 pm
Carolina at Tennessee 1:00 pm
Cincinnati at Buffalo 1:00 pm
Denver at Detroit 1:00 pm
Green Bay at Kansas City 1:00 pm
Jacksonville at New Orleans 1:00 pm
San Diego at Minnesota 1:00 pm
San Francisco at Atlanta 1:00 pm
Washington at N.Y. Jets 1:00 pm
Seattle at Cleveland 4:05 pm
Houston at Oakland 4:15 pm
New England at Indianapolis 4:15 pm

Dallas at Philadelphia 8:15 pm
Baltimore at Pittsburgh 8:30 pm

Three four o'clock games. One will be on FOX (Seattle @ Cleveland) while the other two will be carried by CBS. According to this site, http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/ , CBS has the double header for Nov. 4. This means everyone in the nation besides the Seattle and Cleveland markets will have infomercials on FOX from four 'till prime time. Houston @ Oakland is a nothing game and CBS will bury it. Basically 95% of the nation will have only NE @ Indy that day.

It looks like our game in Dallas is getting similar treatment. Here's the schedule for Week 6...

Cincinnati at Kansas City 1:00 pm
Houston at Jacksonville 1:00 pm
Miami at Cleveland 1:00 pm
Minnesota at Chicago 1:00 pm
Philadelphia at N.Y. Jets 1:00 pm
St. Louis at Baltimore 1:00 pm
Tennessee at Tampa Bay 1:00 pm
Washington at Green Bay 1:00 pm
Carolina at Arizona 4:05 pm
New England at Dallas 4:15 pm
Oakland at San Diego 4:15 pm

New Orleans at Seattle 8:15 pm
N.Y. Giants at Atlanta 8:30 pm

Once again CBS is scheduled for the double header that week so FOX's game (Carolina @ Arizona) will be seen by just two markets. CBS will have Oakland @ San Diego which should get all of California, but the rest of the nation will be watching NE @ Dallas.

As for the original question... No, a NE @ Indy game will not break regular season records. While it is true that the AFC is finally more popular in terms of TV ratings and the AFCCG last season did extremely well, IMO, the Colts fanbase is just too small for records to be set.

As for the original question... No, a NE @ Indy game will not break regular season records. While it is true that the AFC is finally more popular in terms of TV ratings and the AFCCG last season did extremely well, IMO, the Colts fanbase is just too small for records to be set.

Doesn't that argument get thrown out the window because of previous record setting games between the two rivals?

A poster on page one hit the nail on the head. Is this game likely to break the all time record? Probably not due to the way TV has expanded. But if both teams are firing on all cylinders, I could easily see over 25 million tuning it.

Doesn't that argument get thrown out the window because of previous record setting games between the two rivals?

I don't think our matchups have broken any records yet. I'm pretty sure almost all of the ratings records were set in the late 1970's and throughout the 1980's.

I don't get the feeling that Pats-Colts draws the same interest as the 49ers-Cowboys rivalry. Those teams were great on both sides of the ball. It was a great matchup both ways. Pats-Colts is intriguing because of Manning vs. Belichick. The Pats' offense vs. Indy's defense HAS always been the undercard in years' past. Maybe since both of those units have improved drastically this offseason, it will be more exciting in '07 ;)

IMO Pats-Steelers would be a much bigger draw if that rivalry is rekindled in the near future.

Not exactly true. Take a look at the Week 9 schedule...

Arizona at Tampa Bay 1:00 pm
Carolina at Tennessee 1:00 pm
Cincinnati at Buffalo 1:00 pm
Denver at Detroit 1:00 pm
Green Bay at Kansas City 1:00 pm
Jacksonville at New Orleans 1:00 pm
San Diego at Minnesota 1:00 pm
San Francisco at Atlanta 1:00 pm
Washington at N.Y. Jets 1:00 pm
Seattle at Cleveland 4:05 pm
Houston at Oakland 4:15 pm
New England at Indianapolis 4:15 pm

Dallas at Philadelphia 8:15 pm
Baltimore at Pittsburgh 8:30 pm

Three four o'clock games. One will be on FOX (Seattle @ Cleveland) while the other two will be carried by CBS. According to this site, http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/ , CBS has the double header for Nov. 4. This means everyone in the nation besides the Seattle and Cleveland markets will have infomercials on FOX from four 'till prime time. Houston @ Oakland is a nothing game and CBS will bury it. Basically 95% of the nation will have only NE @ Indy that day.

It looks like our game in Dallas is getting similar treatment. Here's the schedule for Week 6...

Cincinnati at Kansas City 1:00 pm
Houston at Jacksonville 1:00 pm
Miami at Cleveland 1:00 pm
Minnesota at Chicago 1:00 pm
Philadelphia at N.Y. Jets 1:00 pm
St. Louis at Baltimore 1:00 pm
Tennessee at Tampa Bay 1:00 pm
Washington at Green Bay 1:00 pm
Carolina at Arizona 4:05 pm
New England at Dallas 4:15 pm
Oakland at San Diego 4:15 pm

New Orleans at Seattle 8:15 pm
N.Y. Giants at Atlanta 8:30 pm

Once again CBS is scheduled for the double header that week so FOX's game (Carolina @ Arizona) will be seen by just two markets. CBS will have Oakland @ San Diego which should get all of California, but the rest of the nation will be watching NE @ Dallas.

Let me be the first to say.....nice job of research,Seymour 93.

To tell you the truth I am anticipating the broadcast of the New England vs. San Diego game in week 2 more than the Indy game.

I think San Diego will be more a challenge for supremacy in the AFC than Indy this year

Very glad it's not primetime this year.

I vote false.

Very glad it's not primetime this year.

0-2 on NBC last year. I was getting sick of hearing Madden going on about how, "These Patriots don't look the same." Looks like we have SD and Philly on NBC this season.

Last edited:
0-2 on NBC last year. I was getting sick of hearing Madden going on about how, "These Patriots don't look the same." Looks like we have SD and Philly on NBC this season.

I hope the doubters and nay-sayers have had fun the last couple of years, show me one team that is clearly better than the Pats right now. I love the situation the Pats are in - they have championship players with a chip on their shoulder, they have hungry vets looking for a ring and they have young guys trying to get to the Super Bowl - good times indeed.

not likely....SD has no national following,outside of S California
That's not entirely true. I'll acknowledge the Bolts don't have the following the pats have. But the Chargers definitely have a following outside of SoCal. I would submit the Chargers national fan base is at least as good as indy's. Not saying much, I know. But it's a start. :D

May or may not be the game of the season. Number of viewers depends on whether either team's tanked.

I say the Ravens will be the game of the year, viewer-wise... They're one of the two teams (also, Broncs,) that people leave out of the "holy trinity." (There may be another or others by end of season... as much as people here like to say it's a 3-team world.)

The game's on MNF, not "95% of the afternoon game" market. It's possible the two teams will be more competitive this year than Pats/Colts.

Of course, if NE and Indy are both flying high by the time of the game, it's a possibility.

PFnV

That's not entirely true. I'll acknowledge the Bolts don't have the following the pats have. But the Chargers definitely have a following outside of SoCal. I would submit the Chargers national fan base is at least as good as indy's. Not saying much, I know. But it's a start. :D

In my part of Pa I see a few Colts fans wearing garb,probably bandwagonners from last years result and a few diehard Colts followers but rarily do I see a Charger fan around...maybe 2 people in the past 10 years did I see wearing Chargers stuff around this area,Of course you don't have to be wearing a logo to be a fan but its just what I see around football time of the year.

May or may not be the game of the season. Number of viewers depends on whether either team's tanked.

I say the Ravens will be the game of the year, viewer-wise... They're one of the two teams (also, Broncs,) that people leave out of the "holy trinity." (There may be another or others by end of season... as much as people here like to say it's a 3-team world.)

The game's on MNF, not "95% of the afternoon game" market. It's possible the two teams will be more competitive this year than Pats/Colts.

Of course, if NE and Indy are both flying high by the time of the game, it's a possibility.

PFnV

I disagree. ESPN is on cable and MNF is no longer considered the marquee game of the week. The networks are where it's at.

False, it will still be '85 Bears vs Dolphins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes