Welcome to PatsFans.com

True Love at Harvard

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

That is a good thing, the interesting part of the whole article is 29% choose abstinence.
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

"Sometimes that voice on campus is so overwhelming that students committed to abstinence almost feel compelled to abandon their convictions," Murray said.

Poor babies. Maybe Muffy and Skip should have a talk with a quadrapalegic student to find out how "uncomfortable" life can be on campus. STFU! If you're going to go to Harvard, don't be surprised or hurt if you're required to act like an adult when exposed to something 'racey" or unusual to your beliefs. Time to grow up kiddies.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  4. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

So, by your logic, if the voice on campus was predominantly racist or anti-semitic it would be the same: you would tell them to just STFU and "grow up"??

//
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

What about the subject of the thread?

These are the luckiest kids in the world! They're at Hahvid fakrissakes! Their lives, for the most part, will be ten times easier than 99% of the rest of the world's population. You're damn right I'm telling them to STFU, grow up, and quit your friggin whining! That goes for Jews, Hispanics, black Americans, Asians and anybody else lucky enough to be attending one of the greatest universities in the world.

You want to compare the pain people experience due to racism and anti-Semitism to the "pain" of people feeling "pressure" to have sex out of wedlock? :eek: I hope not. That would be stupid - not to mention insulting to the victims of real discrimination.
  6. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The most telling part of both the title of this thread and the main issue the article highlights is that these young students, 17 or 18 years old, and fresh out of their homes where they probably lived fairly stable lives, are going to what is *supposed* to be the elite of the elite universities in the world, and what do they find: they are being accosted, bombarded by their environment -- posters, magazines, newspapers, unsolicited e-mails, advertising all over the place -- that they "need" be having SEX, SEX, SEX!!!! As often as possible and with anybody they can "hook up" with.

It's no secret that the free sex industry has had a virtual free run of almost all university campuses in America for the past 40 years, and this is made all the more easier when the creme de le creme is doing it. That's called "legitimatizing" wrong/unhealthy behavior. God forbid a "lesser lit" school, say a Worcester Poly or a BU, would decide to clamp down on the promotion of indiscriminate and promiscuous sex everywhere and all the time!! They would never hear the end of: "What, are you some Puritan wacko!! They constantly screw all over the place at Harvard!! Do you think you're 'better' than Harvard."

So, absolutely, it's a pressure 18-year olds do NOT need, whether they attend Harvard or Alcorn State Community College. That unhealthy pressure can, should, and must be eliminated. It wasn't there for our grandparents, and it should not be there today. Our young people need a wholesome atmosphere in which to grow, not the sleeziest common denominator.

//
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

Liberalism with the help of the Entertainment World has turned America into one big "Whore House", America now runs on SEX, they have taken much of the mystery and fun out of sex, it is now becoming as casual as shaking hands, it won't be long before they are all doing it at the bus stop.

The same people that snicker and laugh and think that the President of the United States having Oral Sex in the Oval Office is a big joke are the same people that don't want me to say "F-ck" on a Forum.

Kids are bombarded with sex in the media, the liberals say the President was having fun with Monica, then little Jimmy Smith gets a blow job on the school bus and they want to put him in an insane asylum.

I wonder if Anna Nicole Smith is still blowing kisses and sticking her big fat a$s out somewhere in the next life?

"Hi my name is Tommy"
    "Hi my name Jane"
    "Lets F-ck"
    "OK"
    :bricks:
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I went to college at UMass Amherst in the early 80's. Nuff said. An 18 year-old is an adult. When they leave home and go to college it's time to become an adult and deal with the world as it is, even if Harvard doesn't reflect the society as a whole. If you're ready for Harvard, you need to be able to get around the small stuff.
  9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Oh!...If it were only that easy when I went to college! :rocker: :eat3: :eat2:
  10. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You're correct that college life is supposed to be preparation for the "real" world, but that "real" world does NOT have to be inundated with every form of solicitation from every direction 24/7, as it is on most college compuses today. Most parents do not especially want their children going off to school only to have their first course be: "Watersports 101", or "How to Hook-up (for a quick anonymous "score")". Yet this is what it is on so many campuses today.

Getting back to the article: it is encouraging for me, at least, that there are some students who want to create a more serious attitude toward committing one's self to a sexual relationship than what a lot of campuses have allowed for the past several decades.

Uncommitted and indiscriminate sex is the root of so many social and health problems, it demands closer inspection. And appropriate steps must be taken to remove the salacious advertising and atmosphere that has grown like weeds in recent times.

//
  11. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Today it's often:

Boy: "Hey."
    Girl: "Hey."
    Boy: "Wanna hook-up?"
    Girl: "OK."
    <after sex>
    Boy: "My name's Sky."
    Girl: "Mine's Liberated."

//
  12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

I wish it was like that when I went to grammar school, I wish my Teacher had Raped me :singing:
  13. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

For those who believe that true love = genital interaction, then the club is a good idea. For those who think true love is a matter of the heart and mind, then abstinence is less significant. As far as the general problem of promiscuity, it's a major social problem for those who do not practice safe and responsible sex.
  14. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 7 / -9

My God.

I have to tell you, the lives imagined for the rest of the world, on the part of the "oh my God they're doing it!" crowd, sounds way more appealing than the life I've actually been able to lead, with no conscious attempt at abstinence.

Something tells me that, regardless of what cultural winds are blowing, we are talking about the sex lives of the most attractive 20% of the age cohort. Either that or I'm just more inept or prudish than I ever realized.

My experience was that sexual possibilities always seemed ubiquitous in college, and mostly came with likely downsides, so I never thought of every possibility as something I needed to pursue. I didn't want to have "didn't count" sex, really... which trimmed down my trim, as it were.

And that's before anybody got too up in arms about who's nailing who and how often and "kids these days" and all of that (although, of course, there were still proselytizers who talked of 'The University of Wis-Con-SINNNNN,' for example). AIDS was a gay-only phenomenon to our understanding back then... and still, it was not the free-for-all painted by the fearmongers. But sometimes, yes, you hooked up.

If you hear a message urging you toward "SEX SEX SEX", it is more likely coming from your own DNA, than the external "voices" alerting you to the big secret that sex feels good. By the same token, I think the push for abstinence, while fine and dandy for public health, might actually be painting sex as dangerous and deadly just as much as holy.

PFnV
  15. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

um, it was YOU that started comparing what they are feeling to other situations ( see Quad).

why is it not "adult" to take a stand for something?
  16. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

so why do you freak out when someone mentions to option of living a cleaner life? Why dont you "grow up" and become an "adult"?
  17. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Your idea of a "cleaner" life is probably my idea of a predictable and cautious life. If one is not abusive, where mutual consent is involved, there's no harm done. That said, there's always the danger of coercion, peer pressure, or extreme guilt (typically by religious conservatives) for engaging in natural pleasures, but sex education helps address those risks.
  18. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

No one can impose "extreme guilt" on anyone else. If that were so, we could stop terrorism and other hideous crimes anytime we wanted by merely "making" the offenders feel guilty.

What you are really saying is that someone may point out what your own conscience already knows is true, and you would rather not see it (or hear about it from someone else). All "sex education" does usually is give people -- often those who are young and therefore most vulnerable, due to their innocence -- the false impression that "everyone is doing it", or "there's nothing wrong with doing it".

In other words, sex ed is primarily acting as an enabler of bad choices, choices based not on what is right or healthy but on merely following physical desires without regard for the consequences.

//
  19. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

thats why I said "option".

so, how about your average spring break situation? Is that preferable over "predictible and cautious"?

Which is more "adult"?
  20. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You should really read The Scarlet Letter by Hawthorn. Its less than 200 pages. I gave it a five out of five.