PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Troy Vincent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger44

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Wasn't he scheduled to be released from the Bills sometime soon? He may make a decent addition for depth.

Digger44 said:
Wasn't he scheduled to be released from the Bills sometime soon? He may make a decent addition for depth.

I think he was put on IR for the year.

SamBam39 said:
I think he was put on IR for the year.
It was Minor IR. As soon as he is healthy the Bills have to release him and cannot sign him unless he clears waivers.

brady2brown said:
It was Minor IR. As soon as he is healthy the Bills have to release him and cannot sign him unless he clears waivers.

And as a vested veteran, his contract was guaranteed since he was on the roster for game 1. So now he's gone from the Bills but they are on the hook for the entire salary...What was the point of using Minor IR vs regular IR????
Oh I forgot , it's the Bills, never mind.........

Patsfanin Philly said:
And as a vested veteran, his contract was guaranteed since he was on the roster for game 1. So now he's gone from the Bills but they are on the hook for the entire salary...What was the point of using Minor IR vs regular IR????
Oh I forgot , it's the Bills, never mind.........

The point was to get a guy they considered a locker room problem out of the locker room.

dhamz said:
The point was to get a guy they considered a locker room problem out of the locker room.

Interesting! Any more info on this?

When I first read about the mysterious "minor IR" the only explanations I could imagine were extending courtesy to a veteran whose days with the team were clearly over but who wanted a chance to find a new home, or a team just wanting a guy flat-out gone.

I was thinking of him last night. He's no cancer. He is the players union rep prez, but he was doing his job.

I think whatever team picks him up will pick up the remainder of his salary. I'd do it, the way safeties go down for the Pats. I'm sure he'd love a chance to play for the Pats (or Bears, Colts, etc).

Thanks for bringing up this topic. I was thinking about this the other day myself. If and when he is released the Pats should seriously consider picking him up. We all know we could use the depth in the secondary.

How would this work? Would every team have a chance to pick him up while he goes thru waivers? Would he just pass thru giving the Pats a chance to bring him in?

We still do have that money under the cap. Is Buffalo really on the hook for all of his salary?

Buffalo has to pay him his full salary. He has to be released when he gets healthy or within 6 weeks of going on Minor IR, so he will be available for week 8 at the latest.

If he wants to keep playing, he will sign a new contract with another team and still collect his salary from the Bills. He gets to double-dip.

Digger44 said:

This sounds like a reasonable move the Pats would make. Considering the health of our secondary, I hope they do make a run at Vincent.

I read somewhere he thought he'd be out as little as 2 weeks (thus why he was pissed at the Bills)

Last edited:
this is pure speculation, but maybe he's one of the guys the Front Office was thinking of when they released the two players earlier this week?

Lockdown06 said:
this is pure speculation, but maybe he's one of the guys the Front Office was thinking of when they released the two players earlier this week?

i really hope so. he is a smart vet and added depth to an injured secondary.

Here's the PFT bit on that from Week 2:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/9-1-06through9-15-06.htm

POSTED 2:00 p.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 3:47 p.m. EDT, September 14, 2006

LEVY SCREWED THE POOCH ON VINCENT

We've gotten some more information regarding the manner in which Bills safety Troy Vincent landed on IR. And the manner in which the situation was handled by the team convinces us that G.M. Marv Levy has little or no skill when it comes to the complexities of managing an NFL roster.

For starters, it turns out that there really is a "minor" Injured Reserve. It's a procedure used in lieu of an injury settlement, pursuant to which the player is added to IR but must be released when healthy.

When a player is on "major" IR, he's done for the year and gets paid his normal salary.

But in Vincent's case, the end result is the same -- the Bills will owe him his entire salary for 2006. Why? Because Vincent is a vested veteran entitled to take the balance of his $2.6 million salary as termination pay.

And once he's healthy, Vincent can sign with another team and receive wages on top of the $2.6 million base salary he'll get from the Bills.

In hindsight (or if Levy had applied any foresight), the Bills would have released Vincent prior to the start of the regular season. He then could have been re-signed after the first game, and his full salary would not have been guaranteed.

So while Levy might have been a very good coach, running the team is a much different endeavor. In this specific case, Levy's failure to understand the rules has forced his boss to pay $2.6 million to a guy who was available for only one game.

Meanwhile, we're hearing that the injury really isn't very significant, and that Vincent could be healthy soon. So when he's healthy (and then released), Vincent will be able to sign with any other team in the league.

Technically, Vincent would have to clear waivers if he's released after the trading deadline. But it's unlikely that anyone else would claim his contract when he can be signed the next day for a lower contract.

So look for Vincent to be playing for another team at some point this year, even though he'll be receiving the bulk of his compensation from the Buffalo Bills.

Last edited:
another thought may be that, as president of the players union, he is constantly being distracted with union issues and getting into sidetracked conversations with teammates etc.

I can see a team's mgt not wanting to deal with having that element in thier locker room, even if the player is decent.

I'm not saying I know this to be the case or that the pats will view it this way, but I am saying that it might be the case.

Does he have any gas left in the tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye