PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Troy Should be starting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots4Ever

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I have been seeing Troy Brown getting less and less catches these last few weeks,and I am Confused.I know the guy is a bit older and such but he is sucha play maker.I dont understand why he is not in there on more plays or is it that I am not seeing him? I know Reche May be faster,or Gabriel is taller.Whatever Troy lacks In Physical attributes he makes up for in Knowledge and hands.Can Someone enlighten me?. I Do Also know he is playing some DB for us again.So they may be trying to keep Bingo fresh? Hell,I dont know.But,Im tired of seeing us go three and out when we have playmakers.

I think Troy is being used exactly as he should be--in spots where he can get free, sometimes as a possession receiver and as a nickel back in the right situations.

As the season has developed, Brady has found himself with more and more choices. Personally, I want to see Reche develop into a true replacement for Givens, or better. I'd love to see Gabriel start showing his talent. I also think we should take more opportunities to get Chad on the field when he's healthy. I'm hoping that next year, he'll be Branch-plus. I also want Watson to morph into Coates, and I think he has the talent to do it.

So there aren't that many opportunities for Troy to shine. Still, every time he catches a ball. I smile. He's had a wonderful career and he's having a good year--but doesn't he always?

I don't think there are too many players, especially at his age, who can be on the field for every snap on offense and then also play DB. The guy needs to rest or he won't be as effective.

correct me if im wrong but didnt the 2-pt go to brown last week...in my view the biggest play of the game..i think that was a huge momentum shifter...
if nothing less... Brown is still Bradys Go To guy...

I thought one of the reasons we may have signed Ray Mickens is because BB realizes that he needs Troy Brown now more on offense and therefore signed someone to replace him on the defense, so he can rest him from those responsibilities.

Umm...I dont know exactly what you mean by "starter" but at the beggining of games Caldwell and Brown are always listed as starters. Hes being used just fine.

...As the season has developed, Brady has found himself with more and more choices. Personally, I want to see Reche develop into a true replacement for Givens, or better. I'd love to see Gabriel start showing his talent. I also think we should take more opportunities to get Chad on the field when he's healthy. I'm hoping that next year, he'll be Branch-plus. I also want Watson to morph into Coates, and I think he has the talent to do it...
And one of the DBs to morph into Michael Haynes, one of the guards becomes a John Hannah, an OT to Bruce Armstrong, etc. At least we don't need Brady to morph into anything. As for Chad becoming Branch-like, we can't even tell at this point if Belichick thinks he's worth the uniform he's wearing. OK, Bill did say something about Chad that we have to take our time with our expectations for him, or something like that. Like Parcells says, it is what it is, and who knows if the Patriots have a good, long term Givens, or a Branch replacement.

I like Troy in the slot. He is not as effective as a wideout. From the slot, he may have a couple years left in him.

I have been seeing Troy Brown getting less and less catches these last few weeks,and I am Confused.I know the guy is a bit older and such but he is sucha play maker.I dont understand why he is not in there on more plays or is it that I am not seeing him? I know Reche May be faster,or Gabriel is taller.Whatever Troy lacks In Physical attributes he makes up for in Knowledge and hands.Can Someone enlighten me?. I Do Also know he is playing some DB for us again.So they may be trying to keep Bingo fresh? Hell,I dont know.But,Im tired of seeing us go three and out when we have playmakers.
Chad Jackson, according to some, isn't getting enough reps. (ChadJacksonFan, where are you these days???)

Doug Gabriel, according to many, isn't getting enough reps.

Jabar Gaffney sees the field just as frequently, and has done some good things.

Now its Troy Brown.

So unless we go four wide as our base package and shuttle in plays with a wide receiver substitution each time, at least one talented receiver for us is not going to see the field quite as much as some think he would deserve.

Then there are some that would have us believe we've got a bum crop of wide-outs and none of them deserve to see the field at all, unless they've paid for tickets.

Reche Caldwell sucks, then he blows, then he's great, then he sucks again, now he's pretty good, but who knows what some yahoo will post next week...

It's exhausting keeping up with the prevailing opinion of this board as regards the performance of our passing attack.

Chad Jackson, according to some, isn't getting enough reps. (ChadJacksonFan, where are you these days???)

Doug Gabriel, according to many, isn't getting enough reps.

Jabar Gaffney sees the field just as frequently, and has done some good things.

Now its Troy Brown.

So unless we go four wide as our base package and shuttle in plays with a wide receiver substitution each time, at least one talented receiver for us is not going to see the field quite as much as some think he would deserve.

Then there are some that would have us believe we've got a bum crop of wide-outs and none of them deserve to see the field at all, unless they've paid for tickets.

Reche Caldwell sucks, then he blows, then he's great, then he sucks again, now he's pretty good, but who knows what some yahoo will post next week...

It's exhausting keeping up with the prevailing opinion of this board as regards the performance of our passing attack.

Well, it isn't as though the Patriots have extreme known quantities like Wayne, Harrison and Stokley of the Colts. I think it'll be two or three years before we know what we've got.

Completely agree. Troy on offense ONLY would help greatly.

Yeah, just days after the hysteri-girls rip Caldwell on a thread, he goes out and grabs 8 catches for 112 yards for 14 ypc.

Keep posting, unoriginal. You're hilarious - and dead right.

R

I did not mean to say that he should be out on tat field each and every play,but he is the cornerstone of that receiving corp.He does not fumble or run his routes wrong.When I bloody see Jabar Gaffney out there instead of number 80,I wonder whether or not Josh Mcdaniels has any right to be on that field.

As for Chad becoming Branch-like, we can't even tell at this point if Belichick thinks he's worth the uniform he's wearing.
Belichick always says good things about Chad when asked. BB thinks Chad is doing well considering he's a rookie who missed all of preseason. I hope Chad does not become Branch-like. I am hoping for much more from him.

I must agree with an earlier poster that Troy Brown is most effective from the slot position. I think Gabriel and Reche are better than Troy on the perimeter anyways right now.

wanna see troy play? lets bench hobbs and start troy at corner.

wanna see troy play? lets bench hobbs and start troy at corner.

The funny thing is...I would totally be ok with seeing that,Hobbs has seemed pretty lost lately.Though,I bet that cast on his hand doesnt help much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes