Welcome to PatsFans.com

Troy NOT with Jests yesterday, and NOT happy

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by T-ShirtDynasty, Mar 17, 2006.

1. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=130935

As for Brown, contrary to published reports, his representatives at Las Vegas-based Premier Sports Management said he did not meet with the New York Jets yesterday. Brown’s reps declined comment when asked what visits he has scheduled.
    Multiple sources close to Brown said the receiver has yet to hear from the Patriots and is miffed at a perceived lack of respect after 13 years of service to the organization. Those sources say he’s prepared not to duplicate last offseason, when he spurned more money from the New Orleans Saints to return to the Pats.

Man, all the old guard playin' hardball with the Patriots? First Willie airs the laundry in public, and now Troy too? What the?

Of course, in this case it's SOURCES that are saying these things, not Troy himself, so I guess it's different than Willie, but still....
  2. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

One must wonder what is going on...just seems so so odd...unless there is some blockbuster deal they need to wade through before??? It's only week one..am NOT sure why the older players who know how the Patriots are..seemed to have understood what the team was all about all of a sudden don't get it. I don't know..maybe Kraft and company have to show a bit warm and fuzzy..at least a bit... not sure.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

It's not pretty when the guys who have done what they've done become journeymen (Brown) or too old to offer a big, longterm contract (McGinest). The Patriots have to be able to move on in these situations. It's not easy but it's necessary.
  4. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

This is the silly season. Poeple get a little ticked if they don't get the call that they have been waiting for. I don't blame them because I would be ticked off too.

I'm glad that people who post on this board are showing self control and a keen understanding of the FA process.

Otherwise, we would be having threads implying that the Patriots haven't done anything and asking why they haven't done anything. And threads saying that maybe they don't know what they are doing.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  5. hwc

hwc On the Roster

Ratings:
    +357 / 39 / -20

Yeah. Like I'm sure Troy Brown really regrets moving his family to New Orleans and playing for the Saints last year. Give me a break.
  6. GoWhalers

GoWhalers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Taking it personally...

I'm surprised at the amount of personal feelings involved in the Patriots' negotiations. It's not as if most of the players are representing themselves, so the agents should be providing some kind of buffer between the two parties.

I'm also not sure how seriously to take these repeated stories of "never hearing" from the Patriots. What does that mean, exactly? Is Troy Brown calling the Patriots, telling them that he needs to make a decision by the end of the month, and the Patriots are literally not calling him back? The Boston Herald had an article (can't remember the link, sorry) just a day or two ago that was strongly dispelling those rumors with regards to Givens. The article said that while his agent was complaining how he hadn't heard anything from the Patriots, they had in fact made him an offer, but were refusing to budge from it.

So what's the truth? You hear the same story often enough, and it makes the Patriots sound like a cold, backstabbing organization. Then you hear other stories, about Bob Kraft personally calling players to let them know how much they mean to the team.

Very confusing...
  7. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Absolutely....that would have been a nightmare for BINGO!! Kind of surprising about that..I do agree it is an odd FR this year.
  8. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

You bring up a great point....it is a silly season with extra high pices..(and less value) so a player like Troy wishes to be called..and why not?? I can't in a way blame him. BUT on the other hand, it's almost as if becauase prices are higher and it seems MOST teams are involved in that the Patriots should be involved as well..the "me-too" sort of thinking.
    The Patriots are not just going to go along that easily with that...pay higher prices because the market is higher..and THAT makes sense. WHy should they?? And that is what may be going on. ..wait until the market is lower in a week or so and then get value. Thoughts??
  9. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

He didn't exactly have great last year. I would get new blood. He is old. What did he do in our last playoff game?
  10. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0

I'm one of the posters killing the chicken little folks, but I too have to wonder why the organization can't at least call and say, "Hey, Troy, we're working things out, we'll be in touch," I mean SOMETHING. That's not committing the team to anything, it's not leading him on, it's just plain courtesy which could, on some level, smooth some ruffled feathers.
  11. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Agreed. If it's business and nothing personal, it's not a very good way to deal with longtime "business associates".
  12. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +339 / 22 / -2

OK, Pioli should have assigned an assistant to call all the free agents, and to return their calls.

Pioli and bb have had a lot of work to do. Apparently there were some offers made. There have been visits. Decisions needed to be made on all players with roster bonuses. Offers and discussions needed to take place with those they were sure they wanted back. Some took the offers; Some didn't.

But sadly, calling back Troy Brown isn't high on Pioli's or bb's priorties. Should it be?
  13. Pats67

Pats67 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

When the players say 'I haven't heard from them' it ACTUALLY means 'I heard from them but they didn't make me an offer'.

An earlier post nailed it, I think. The Patriots have clearly decided its time to move on in several areas. This results in several of these painful decisions, and its a predictable reaction for the players in question to feel slighted. Its also predictable that observers of all kinds immediately twist this around and belkieve its simply a case of the Patriots being heartless, and losing these players as a result. They didn't want them, or, at the very least, they didn't want them at those prices. It couldn't be any more evident that this is what's happening. A full scale changing of the guard.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  14. Garbanza

Garbanza Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

.....miffed that the Pats have not called, not about a lack of an offer. I don't blame him.
  15. arrellbee

arrellbee Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Well said.

For an entire team organization that doesn't seem to leave any sensible stone unturned if it could possibly help the team - it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that simple phone calls for good will would be neglected. Doesn't make sense at all.

I'll add one other simple question to the mix. If a player has an agent, doesn't the agent say - "Don't talk to my player directly, talk to me" ?? I REALLY suspect that that may be the case. I'm not sure I have EVER had clear communication with another person if there is a third party intermediary in between. And sometimes, it has been downright malicious.
  16. Pats67

Pats67 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That's what Willie said too, last weekend. Then we find out later that they DID call. They just didn't give him an offer. This was after they were killed on here for almost a week by people who couldn't understand why they didn't at least 'call'.

These players are realizing that the team is headed in a different direction. OF COURSE they're pissed. I would be too. But I think we should NOT take their comments as the whole story.
  17. Garbanza

Garbanza Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It's the off-season and stories are manipulated and/or manufactered to help a media members story.

That said, I do hope the Pats extend a courtesy call to Brown. He HAS earned that.
  18. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I agree...calling back may indeed translate to that...I tend to think that is more the case...but one has to see through the BS...happened with Willie..they called..not offered and that was..the Patriots not calling. I do think they are going in another direction this year..and nothing at all wrong with that. Is till think Brown could end up back here...just not at this point.
  19. Pats67

Pats67 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Point 1: yes, especially when that media member is writing about an agent that also happens to respresent HIM.

Point 2: 'courtesy call' is what Willie got from Robert Kraft the day he signed with Cleveland. Troy will get that call for certain no matter what happens.

The team is under no obligation to make a courtesy OFFER if they don't want to, of course.
  20. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Did anyone hear Felger's rant on ESPN Boston about this subject?? Talking about how the players were whining they didn't get calls?? Compared to to girls not gettting calls for the senior prom...a bit funny..even for Felger. But I think a lot of that was on target. It's about the money NOT the call...