PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Troy Brown take on Guyton vs. Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guyton is doing well, all things considered. However, there are plenty of flaws in his game and they've resulted in some big plays to TEs and to Ray Rice. In fact, one of the reasons Rice had such a good day was because Guyton was not in the proper position often enough.

As Troy said, though, Guyton is playing out of position as the MLB in the 4-3. He's a good ILB in the 3-4 because he has help and because he's got less responsibility. As a 4-3 OLB, its going to be interesting to see how Guyton does setting the edge and rushing the passer.

Troy Brown is going over the top here. They're not going to sign Junior Seau to cover for Mayo. Mayo is going to be back in 2-3 weeks, so what the hell would the point of that be? I don't think Troy knows what he's talking about in this case.

I know I've seen Guyton making plays against the run and getting pressure on the blitz. I'm not imagining things. I have seen him making some questionable decisions and getting held up by guards every so often, but not enough to lead me to believe he can't play the position. And he's very good in coverage.

Mayo is much better suited to the position than Guyton. When he does come back, I think we'll see the defense making a lot more "big" plays. However, Guyton has done a good enough job so far.

Troy Brown is going over the top here. They're not going to sign Junior Seau to cover for Mayo. Mayo is going to be back in 2-3 weeks, so what the hell would the point of that be? I don't think Troy knows what he's talking about in this case.

I know I've seen Guyton making plays against the run and getting pressure on the blitz. I'm not imagining things. I have seen him making some questionable decisions and getting held up by guards every so often, but not enough to lead me to believe he can't play the position. And he's very good in coverage.

Mayo is much better suited to the position than Guyton. When he does come back, I think we'll see the defense making a lot more "big" plays. However, Guyton has done a good enough job so far.

I agree. As much as I respect TBs opinion and insight, IMO he's being a little too fault-finding towards Guyton. Citing the areas for improvement is fine, but came across as a little on the bashing side towards GG. The kid has exceeded expectations in plugging in for some of Mayo's would-be responsibilities.

Re: Troy Brown take on Guyton vs Fans

He hasn't missed a play since Mayo was hurt. He can't be doing that bad.

Yeah, but...unfortunately, who else can play the position? Eric Alexander is the only other option. I think Guyton has filled in well, but let's put it this way: he's no Mayo. On rewatch, I thought at times he really struggled in the Atlanta game versus the run.

Last edited:
Troy brown was on comcast sport tonight and it was shocking to get his opinion on seau signing and how guyton has struggled playing the ILB.
This ofcouse is a complete opposite to what we as fans think on this website.we just blame sanders.:D

Brown said guyton natural position is 4-3 OLB and he is struggling a bunch
playing ILB.His reads are not fast and he is getting sealed by gaurds easily and is out of position giving up quiet a few backside plays.

He said seau signing will help as seau has the instints to play Inside and move guyton to outside in 4-3 and to subpackages.
contrasting views.He thinks seau is more than depth till mayo returns.

satz

Should we be ripping Troy for struggling a bunch playing cornerback?

:rolleyes:

Should we be ripping Troy for struggling a bunch playing cornerback?

:rolleyes:

cowgirl

Who is that in your avatar?

Also, I think "struggle" is a bit strong. The guy is filling in. One has two temper one's expectation for the second best dude. If he was the best wouldn't he have already been there?

Also, Rice had a 50 yard run. This is the 2nd best offense. They will make some plays.

I would say Guyton made more plays than the Ravens offense.

missing the point

guys, i think were missing the point here. Troy is clearly bidding for a roster spot at ILB.

The Ravens....what a bunch of whiny little girls.

Anyone remember what it looked like when Vrabel was moved inside?

Guyton is saving the team right now.

When was Troy referring to? GG did look a little lost at times in the first couple of games but hes been much quicker to the play in the last two games. I think BB gave him the job because of his smarts and athleticism and knew he would get better each week. I dont think Troy's that far off base with what he's saying.

Last edited:
Anyone remember what it looked like when Vrabel was moved inside?

Guyton is saving the team right now.

It looked better with Vrabel inside than it did when Beisel & Chad Brown were inside.

GG saving the team? IDK about that, but he is saving us from Effin Alexander, and for that I'm grateful.

It's down on Bill, though, for not having a better ILB ready to step in for Mayo. GG is basically a STer & backup-caliber WILB. Troy speaks the Truth.

Last edited:
It looked better with Vrabel inside than it did when Beisel & Chad Brown were inside.

GG saving the team? IDK about that, but he is saving us from Effin Alexander, and for that I'm grateful.

It's down on Bill, though, for not having a better ILB ready to step in for Mayo. GG is basically a STer & backup-caliber WILB. Troy speaks the Truth.

You and I will have to agree to disagree here.

Vrabel went to the inside after 6 years in BB's 3-4 system.

Guyton, who is a UDFA with one year under his belt, had to go inside on a completely new defense and be THE MLB in a 4-3.

Guyton is moving mountains with very little prep. For that and so many reasons (like the Eric Alexander one you mentioned) to me, Guyton is far and away the MVP of the first four games. Four games, where the Pats played 3 of the top offenses in the NFL and came out as the #7 defense.

Without Guyton, we're sitting at 1-3 tonight.

I rewound the 50 yard ray rice play quite a few times. I just dont understand what Guyton was seeing. Instead of going towards the ball carrier he drifts too far to the right and seems to consciously decide to hit a blocker instead of closing the hole when he had every opportunity to do so. physical presence - no problem - vision and smarts - work in progress. yes.. I am still thankful he is there for mayo... ;)

Stop dissing the colonel guys. He's a good LB whiff clean-up guy and his secret recipe is above reproach!

Colonel Sander's secret recipe is nothing without Mayo, unfortunately.

Stop dissing the colonel guys. He's a good LB whiff clean-up guy and his secret recipe is above reproach!
In the words of Colonel James Sanders: "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

Guyton might not be as mentally quick as Mayo on the field but a lot of his problems getting off blocks remind me of what Mayo himself looked like at times last year. Teams spend all week looking to pick on him so it is not a real surprise that they wash him out of some plays...

He is not Mayo, but he will be all the better for this experience.

Saving us from Effin Alexander at ILB = saving the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back