PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Troy Brown Returns!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SoonerPatriot said:
His impact could be more than minimal. It's basically Branch, Caldwell, Brown and perhaps Bethel, should he make the team. And since there is next to nothing left in the FA pool WR wise, it would seem he might be in the mix more than we think, pending the draft of course. I don't think they asked him back thinking he wouldn't make the team.

Nor is having a Bronco jump on your back when you're bobbling the ball - a missed fair catch interference call to add to the list.

patsox23 said:
This is not a "pr signing," the Patriots don't make pr signings. If they did, half of the double-digit posters here would still be in single digits. Troy's not going to make a huge impact, but he will certainly play a part. I'm glad he's back in the fold.
How about "damage control" then? Patriots don't walk on water, lately would have trouble floating in it PR-wise even with WWII plane pontoons.

Fanfrom1960 said:
How about "damage control" then? Patriots don't walk on water, lately would have trouble floating in it PR-wise even with WWII plane pontoons.

Perhaps, but I think it more likely that someone was sniffing a bit too close...Cleveland?

A PR signing? A damage control signing?

Some people just really pay no attention to the way the team does business. You think BB was sitting there upset because Ron Borges is writing bad things about him or some posters on a message board are upset their favorite kicker moved on?

They signed Troy because they offerred him what they thought his value was to the team and he took it. Period. That is how they do business.

I really don't understand how anyone would still think emotion factors in to a thing they do after watching them the last 2 weeks.

dhamz said:

Some people just really pay no attention to the way the team does business. You think BB was sitting there upset because Ron Borges is writing bad things about him or some posters on a message board are upset their favorite kicker moved on?

They signed Troy because they offerred him what they thought his value was to the team and he took it. Period. That is how they do business.

I really don't understand how anyone would still think emotion factors in to a thing they do after watching them the last 2 weeks.

Well said. He was signed because the Pats felt he had the ability to provide the team w/ performance in line w/ his compensation. That's the way it is for a vet on this team.

You can make more $ than you contribute as a 0-3 year guy, but that's because your potential is looked upon as worthy of the investment. Once you are further along in your career, your contributions can absolutely be quantified through a $ value.

It's cold, but that's the NFL. The game and the emotions are on the field.

That said, at least if Troy gets hurt in TC, he can retire a Patriot.

dhamz said:

People that defend Belichick and Pioli to the death always say it doesn't matter what a player has done in the past, it's his potential that counts. Well, the same applies to them, and lately, I don't see how they're not putting a lot of FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) out there to the remaining players on the team, and to the fans. Sure this is a business, but there is a human side to it, and management is not showing much humanity lately.

Fanfrom1960 said:
People that defend Belichick and Pioli to the death always say it doesn't matter what a player has done in the past, it's his potential that counts. Well, the same applies to them, and lately, I don't see how they're not putting a lot of FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) out there to the remaining players on the team, and to the fans. Sure this is a business, but there is a human side to it, and management is not showing much humanity lately.

I'll start to worry about that May 1.

patriotsrule said:
I meant PR signing in regards to the timing. I don't know if you heard but the Patriots have lost some long-time contributors over the past couple of weeks.

I don't know if you heard, but your original post didn't say that. Your latest does, though, and I disagree wholeheartedly.

Fanfrom1960 said:

Oh really? Says who? That moron Wrong Bogus? Its amazing how people know that the guy is a fab slob moron who is like a jilted lover 5 years after the Pats sent Drew Bledsoe out of town.

Fact is that the Pats were talking to McGinest after he was cut and before he signed with the Browns.

Fact is that the Pats were talking to Vinatieri before he signed with the Colts.

So, what should the Pats be doing? Setting up plush Velvet Couches in the parking lot at Gillette so that they can drop their drawers and have management kiss their arses in public?

Give me a break.

How are BB and Pioli putting fear, uncertainty and doubt into the players? Because they aren't over-paying for 34 year old OLBs? Because they aren't over-paying for a 33 year old kicker who has leg and back problems and who hasn't made a 50 yard FG since 2002 and who went 5-9 (according to Stats. Inc) from 40+ in 2005? Because they aren't over-paying for a Possession WR who has delusions of being a starring #1 WR?

The Patriots are going by the same plan that got them 3 SBs. Anyone who stops and looks at the situation from an unbiased viewpoint would see that.

cubedoggy said:
Well said. He was signed because the Pats felt he had the ability to provide the team w/ performance in line w/ his compensation. That's the way it is for a vet on this team.

You can make more $ than you contribute as a 0-3 year guy, but that's because your potential is looked upon as worthy of the investment. Once you are further along in your career, your contributions can absolutely be quantified through a $ value.

It's cold, but that's the NFL. The game and the emotions are on the field.

That said, at least if Troy gets hurt in TC, he can retire a Patriot.

Totally agree. Troy has been my favorite Pat for years, not only for his tough play and clutch receptions, but he is a thread throughout this run and exemplifies the type of player Kraft, Bill and Scott want on the team. He's a class act and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the front office when he retires. Lets hold judgement on his abilities relative to his pay until the season is over and he's holding up his fourth Lombardi. His value is greater than his on-field performance and I think the brains figure all things into this decision.

He makes the team and big plays on third down this year as usual..

Obviously TB signed for the vet minimum or he'd be gone, too. Glad to have him back, just for the locker room vet aspect of it.

DaBruinz said:
Oh really? Says who? That moron Wrong Bogus? Its amazing how people know that the guy is a fab slob moron who is like a jilted lover 5 years after the Pats sent Drew Bledsoe out of town.

Fact is that the Pats were talking to McGinest after he was cut and before he signed with the Browns.

Fact is that the Pats were talking to Vinatieri before he signed with the Colts.

So, what should the Pats be doing? Setting up plush Velvet Couches in the parking lot at Gillette so that they can drop their drawers and have management kiss their arses in public?

Give me a break.

How are BB and Pioli putting fear, uncertainty and doubt into the players? Because they aren't over-paying for 34 year old OLBs? Because they aren't over-paying for a 33 year old kicker who has leg and back problems and who hasn't made a 50 yard FG since 2002 and who went 5-9 (according to Stats. Inc) from 40+ in 2005? Because they aren't over-paying for a Possession WR who has delusions of being a starring #1 WR?

The Patriots are going by the same plan that got them 3 SBs. Anyone who stops and looks at the situation from an unbiased viewpoint would see that.

As always, couldn't have said it any better. ;)

Jacky Roberts said:
Obviously TB signed for the vet minimum or he'd be gone, too. Glad to have him back, just for the locker room vet aspect of it.
Bingo Jacko! This is a rebuilding year at WR and a veteran WR in the locker room is just what the doctor ordered. He certainly did a nice job for Deion and D-Giv.

DaBruinz said:

Give me a break.

Dead on DaBruinz.

We need a young LB coming into his upside, a #2 receiver who won't break the bank and a kicker who can pin the other team or get some touchbacks instead of letting them catch it on the 12-15 and starting from their 32-37.

AV won't have to worry about that in Indy, where Jose Cortez or some other scrub will be doing that chore. It's no wonder he signed with Indy. It's a PK's dream come true

a) He's the highpest paid kicker since Chuck Norris

b) He doesn't have to run down the field for kickoffs (I don't think he could chase down Hershal Walker at this point)

c) There's no wind/rain/snow in a dome

d) Dan Marino was his idol

OhExaulted1 said:
Dead on DaBruinz.

We need a young LB coming into his upside, a #2 receiver who won't break the bank and a kicker who can pin the other team or get some touchbacks instead of letting them catch it on the 12-15 and starting from their 32-37.

AV won't have to worry about that in Indy, where Jose Cortez or some other scrub will be doing that chore. It's no wonder he signed with Indy. It's a PK's dream come true

a) He's the highpest paid kicker since Chuck Norris

b) He doesn't have to run down the field for kickoffs (I don't think he could chase down Hershal Walker at this point)

c) There's no wind/rain/snow in a dome

d) Dan Marino was his idol

Glad to finally see some rationality here in this forum. I liked Adam and will miss him, but were I BB I too would have not paid the cap ransome for his future value. Speaking emotionally I'll miss Willie more but I expect him to be cut by the Browns in 2008 and be resigned here to retire O.T.I.S. style. Willie was and is a class act.

I am very happy BINGO is back, and I think he still has contributions left to make to this team.

Very good news for me. I love #80.

wistahpatsfan said:
Totally agree. Troy has been my favorite Pat for years, not only for his tough play and clutch receptions, but he is a thread throughout this run and exemplifies the type of player Kraft, Bill and Scott want on the team. He's a class act and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the front office when he retires. Lets hold judgement on his abilities relative to his pay until the season is over and he's holding up his fourth Lombardi. His value is greater than his on-field performance and I think the brains figure all things into this decision.

He makes the team and big plays on third down this year as usual..

Right on! Troy in any other uni would shake my faith in the underlying philosophy of this team. Willie took a shot at being Romeo's Bryan Cox for good $, and Adam went the Morten Andersen route; Gos Bless 'em, and I hope it all works out for them. David Givens might have spent his career as a Patriot like Troy, but many things have changed since '93...not the least of which is the elimination of an 8th round in the draft, which means Troy would today be a UFA.

Troy exemplifies what won us three Lombardis in 4 years. I'll have a lot more angst seeing Willie in a Brown uni than anyone else that's left playing, including Adam (though the fact that he's wearing that toilet seat on his helmet WILL BURN), because Willie, Tedy, and Troy are the only guys from the Tuna era that bought in all the way and have the rings to prove it.

Somebody ought to write something about those three, and their divergent paths to the greatness of three championships...it'd be a great read.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye