PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Troy Brown - Polian presence effects refs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhodyPatriot

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Brown: Polian's presence alters refs' calls

I agree with Troy. And even with all that going on and PoliOn getting the NFL to change their defensive rules to benefit Paaaaayton, they still only won/will win 1 SB in the Manning era. :rofl:

Hmmm, ya think Pepe King will put that in his column...."Patriots think refs call a different game for Colts than they call for other teams." ???

Last edited:
Just saying what we all know but it would take a non Patriot saying it to even get a small amount of attention. Troy saying it just makes it sound like sour grapes in the eyes of non Pats fans, unfortunately, even though we all know we have at least 1 more ring if not for the Indy ref bias.

Just saying what we all know but it would take a non Patriot saying it to even get a small amount of attention. Troy saying it just makes it sound like sour grapes in the eyes of non Pats fans, unfortunately, even though we all know we have at least 1 more ring if not for the Indy ref bias.

Not at least one ring. Precisely one :(

For a team filled with guys that never disrespected their opponent and for them to come out and say this confirms what we've been watching. I realize the Colts have owned us lately, but look at the difference in penalty yardage in the series. My money is on the Colts easily. When you play them, you can always count on that utter nonsense, ghost PI call that ALWAYS gives the Colts pretty much a free score. It really pisses me off considering the narrow margin of victory. Those plays KILL us.

It'd be interesting to see a stat showing how many PI calls each team has since the rule changes.

I actually think the Steelers have the best claim of a total BS call. (Not that the calls against the Pats weren't complete BS too.) That overturned Troy Polamalu interception in the 2006 playoffs was horrible.

NFL: Polamalu overturned interception the wrong call - NFL - ESPN

The game is over at that point if the interception stands.

YouTube - The Run to the Super Bowl XL: Divisional Game, Steelers 21 Colts 18
1:48 in.

It's about time a former player spoke up about this. In Troy's case, he's retired so it's not like the NFL can fine him for saying it. :)

It's absolutely the truth though, each and every game against the Colts in the last 5 or so years has had bogus PI calls on deep throws by the Colts. Even the 24 - 20 win in 07 was the most lopsided called game I've ever seen. The Pats won that one despite of the refs, that game really should have been a blowout. I was so livid after watching that game I spent 30 minutes griping to my dad about it on the phone. Even to this day I still get riled up when reminded about it, which is saying something considering the Pats won it. Don't even get me started on every game against them since then, though.

I hate to sound whiney about it, and blaming close loses on calls can certainly seem that way, but you know there's gotta be truth to it when the players themselves start speaking up about it.

I'll reserve judgement but it seems like the Jets have been the ones getting all the calls this year as much as Indy.

Brown: Polian's presence alters refs' calls

I agree with Troy. And even with all that going on and PoliOn getting the NFL to change their defensive rules to benefit Paaaaayton, they still only won/will win 1 SB in the Manning era. :rofl:

Hmmm, ya think Pepe King will put that in his column...."Patriots think refs call a different game for Colts than they call for other teams." ???

Wouldn't bet on that with King. That wouldn't paint BB and this organization in a negative light which is his MO lately.

I know some here have predictably defended King, but by writing an item like that it's the same as him endorsing the notion that it's true. I believe King thinks that goes on and really doesn't care about finding proof or attempting to question what his source is telling him. Assuming there is a source which is debatable.

Enough with these conspiracy theories. We perceive that Indy gets all the calls because we've been playing them in the dome in recent years. I don't remember them getting calls when we spanked them in the 2003 and 2004 playoffs. I doubt we'll see them get all the calls today. NFL refs are swayed by crowds, especially loud ones, not POS's like Bill Polian.

no doubt the dolts get these phantom calls every single game...they like to complain when it doesnt go right

Enough with these conspiracy theories. We perceive that Indy gets all the calls because we've been playing them in the dome in recent years. I don't remember them getting calls when we spanked them in the 2003 and 2004 playoffs. I doubt we'll see them get all the calls today. NFL refs are swayed by crowds, especially loud ones, not POS's like Bill Polian.

Yeah, but 2003 and 2004 are what started Polian on his quest to get a penalty called on anyone who came within five feet of the Colts receivers.

Last edited:
Certainly the stats are out there ... so what is the league average per team / year for pass interference calls and the yearly numbers for the Colts.

Last edited:
Certainly the stats are out there ... so what is the league average per team / year for pass interference calls and the yearly numbers for the Colts.

I would love to see these myself.

Years ago (Maybe in 2006) when I had much more time on my hands before I had two kids, I did a "study" of first downs earned via defensive penalty. The numbers were shocking - Indianapolis had the most in the league BY FAR. It was such a ridiculously high number compared to the rest of the NFL that the league offices would blush had they saw it. I wish I still had those figures. I actually did a Patriots/Indianapolis game by game comparison and of course, Indianapolis had the advantage in first downs via penalty by a wide margin. F#ck Polian, and i hope the Pats throttle them today...

The 2007? Chargers also got screwed against the Colts in the playoffs, but still managed to win somehow

unhappy crowds or happy crowds doesnt pay ur bills.

Yeah, but 2003 and 2004 are what started Polian on his quest to get a penalty called on anyone who came within five feet of the Colts receivers.

I think my point was made tonight. What was that 2 penalties total on the Pats?

I think my point was made tonight. What was that 2 penalties total on the Pats?

Tonights game doesn't change past games.

If you don't agree, it doesn't make you right. I live outside of Massachusetts, have the NFL package from Directv, and have watched almost every Colt game for the past 3 years. They benefit from allot of close calls.....We do to sometimes, but not nearly with the same frequency.

You can disagree, but you'll have to explain the AFC championship against the Steelers, the AFC championship against us, our 2007 game (Which Bill Simmons even wrote about in his NFL column that year.), the call against Darius Butler last year. Hell, pretty much every game where the Colts are down. I remember watching the 2nd Texans game last year, and the Colts down 2 TD's were completely bailed out by 2 HIGHLY questionable PI calls to get them back into it.

Or, you can completely call me a crack pot even though I'm pretty sure I've watched more Colts game then yourself, and tell me Troy Brown is just a dumbass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes