PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Troy Brown hands out grades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Troys grades are pretty much dead on, IMO

I'd give McCourty a solid B.

What's the grading criteria and who is grading on a curve?

Is McCourty being judged against a HOF "shutdown" corner, polished seasoned veteran in a veteran defense, or a rookie in a seasoned defense or a rookie playing with other young players?

Also, many here are equal to or better than former players for analysis. If players are really that insightful, they would be making $10 million as a coach. Just ask Matt Millan and Mike Singletary how beneficial player excellence was the key to their better excellence in coaching and management.

My grades on Troy the analyst are mixed. He is often a B+/A- on the WEEI pregame show, but anyone who signs on for the Mohegan Sun crapfest or any of the Friends of Felger centric Comcast Sportsnet blather gets graded on a downward curve in my book for selling out for a paycheck.

Hernandez wasn't drafted to be a blocker; he was drafted to catch passes at which he has clearly done an "A" job. I guess it's all about what your expectations were for him.

Hernandez was drafted as a TE and part of a TE's job is blocking. Yes, Hernandez has been amazing and I am very excited about this player as another weapon for this offense in the years to come. I would say that he's an A reciever and C blocker.

Hernandez was drafted as a TE and part of a TE's job is blocking. Yes, Hernandez has been amazing and I am very excited about this player as another weapon for this offense in the years to come. I would say that he's an A reciever and C blocker.

I agree, but the TE label on Hernandez is too restrictive as he functions in many other roles in the offense. BB saw the potential with his versatilty. Nice pickup

Hback, WR, TE......This kid is fast and has good hands....his blocking should improve with more coaching. :rocker:

Last edited:
I have yet to understand the Chung love here. Yes, he is a fierece hitter but he's still a work in progress in coverage. Mediocre to poor in that area of his game.

you can't make the highlight real with the big hit if there is no one running free in your secondary shredding you for yards.........

also, give T.B. some credit here. he did predict the Maroney departure weeks before it happened and was chewed up by a lot of people at the time who were overly (and incorrectly) opportunistic on his production.

Brown graded the following players on Mohegan Sun Sportstonight:

Gronkowski B+
Hernandez A
Chung B
Butler F
McCourty C+

Were those the only players whom Troy was asked to grade?

If so, then they look about right:

B+/A- for Gronk;

A/A- for Hernandez (needs to improve his blocking to get to the A/A+ range);

B/B+ for Chung (until his coverage improves, this is all he deserves);

F for Butler (when the HC only gives him 4 snaps, incl. a horrible angle during one of them, when the defense is bleeding yds & pts like a stuck pig, that screams F);

C+/B- for McC (not Arrington bad, but not "B" worthy, either).

Thanks; may I also ass-ume that these grades were based just on the Buffalo game (as were mine in my earlier post), and not the season thus far?

Thanks; may I also ass-ume that these grades were based just on the Buffalo game (as were mine in my earlier post), and not the season thus far?

Season to date

I see. In that case, I would improve both Chung's & McC's grade to a solid B, maybe even B+; the TEs both to A-; and Butler to D- overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back