Brown graded the following players on Mohegan Sun Sportstonight:

Gronkowski B+
Hernandez A
Chung B
Butler F
McCourty C+

No Tom Brady grade?

thats a pretty rough grade on butler.

I'm suprised chung doesn't get an A. He didn't play like rodney harrison, but he's certainly gone beyond his expectations

I'd give McCourty a higher grade than C+.

Pretty reasonable. I'd personally go something more like...

Chung: A-. Tons of impact tackles, both at the line of scrimmage and in the open field and has showed big play ability in coverage, with 1 INT and another near INT vs. Jets. Still has to become more consistent in coverage but to me, he's been our best defensive player so far.

Hernandez: B+. Stud receiver, poor blocking prevents him from an A.

Gronk: B-. Just rock solid all around. Would like to see a bit more receiving yardage but if Brady hits him on a 40 yard pass where he had beat Kyle Wilson in week 2, I'm not talking about a lack of production.

McCourty: B-. Good in coverage and in run support. Hasn't been perfect, but as a rookie CB playing without a pass rush, hard to ask for more than he's given.

Butler: F. He's been terrible so far. Still a talented kid, hope he improves and wins his starting job back. We are a better team if he's in the lineup, because it means he's earned his way there and he obviously has more talent than Arrington.

But I don't disagree with any grades drastically.

Last edited:
Brown graded the following players on Mohegan Sun Sportstonight:

Gronkowski B+
Hernandez A
Chung B
Butler F
McCourty C+

Troy Brown nailed those grades.

Actually, I think they are graded pretty badly. Just because Hernandez has had a lot more "flash" than Gronkowski doesn't mean he should get a higher grade. Gronkowski's Red Zone threat and blocking skills are pretty good assets. As stated above, Hernandez has been mediocre at blocking which automatically disqualifies him from an 'A'. An 'F' is a bit low for Butler. He has been pretty bad this year but he isn't a failure yet... Give it a couple more weeks to call him a failure. Chung looks pretty good and has 'A' potential for now I guess a 'B' is good. A 'C+' for McCourty seems kind of low for a rookie who has played very well, being rushed on the field like he was.

I love Troy but he leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to analysis. This is no more insightful than the average poster on patsfans.com, and equally shortsighted if not more.

Is Troy aware that Butler only saw the field for a handful of plays? How about grading Kyle Arrington? or Jermain Cunningham and Ron Brace?

Grading McCourty anything less than a B, for basically holding down one side of the defense singlehandedly (unless Ninkovitch really gets you excited) is just ignorant. It's like he has no idea what the safeties are responsible for and how to grade them, so he'll take the easy shot at Butler and Mcourty. Lame.

Also, it is hard to give such young players grades only this far into the season. I think a lot of the grade comes from personal preference/opinion. For example, some may think that a blocking TE with good hands is more important and some may think that a sure handed/polished route running TE is more important.

Not sure how Gronkowski can't be an A. Sure he doesn't get as many balls thrown to him, but when he does, he holds on. Especially in the red zone. In the mean time he is a blocking machine.

I'd give McCourty a higher grade than C+.

I'd think he should have more; but we know he looks like he is on his was to an A grade!

I've always found these "giving out grades" columns to be a lame waste of time. Sorry to see Troy is now wasting his.

I love Troy but he leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to analysis. This is no more insightful than the average poster on patsfans.com, and equally shortsighted if not more.

Is Troy aware that Butler only saw the field for a handful of plays? How about grading Kyle Arrington? or Jermain Cunningham and Ron Brace?

Grading McCourty anything less than a B, for basically holding down one side of the defense singlehandedly (unless Ninkovitch really gets you excited) is just ignorant. It's like he has no idea what the safeties are responsible for and how to grade them, so he'll take the easy shot at Butler and Mcourty. Lame.

Right - Troy Brown doesn't understand what safeties are responsible for. He never learned that playing WR and CB for all those years. Imagine what Troy could have done if he knew what safeties do. It's amazing he ever got open. :rolleyes:

For some people, anyone who says anything but everything is positive knows less football than patsfans.com message board posters.

Last edited:
For some people, anyone who says anything but everything is positive knows less football than patsfans.com message board posters.

Everything is fine.

Butler is fine. Maroney is great. Go back in your houses and prepare for victory.

images

Actually, I think they are graded pretty badly. Just because Hernandez has had a lot more "flash" than Gronkowski doesn't mean he should get a higher grade. Gronkowski's Red Zone threat and blocking skills are pretty good assets. As stated above, Hernandez has been mediocre at blocking which automatically disqualifies him from an 'A'. An 'F' is a bit low for Butler. He has been pretty bad this year but he isn't a failure yet... Give it a couple more weeks to call him a failure. Chung looks pretty good and has 'A' potential for now I guess a 'B' is good. A 'C+' for McCourty seems kind of low for a rookie who has played very well, being rushed on the field like he was.

Hernandez wasn't drafted to be a blocker; he was drafted to catch passes at which he has clearly done an "A" job. I guess it's all about what your expectations were for him.

troy brown is a ton better than the average poster.

I'm suprised chung doesn't get an A. He didn't play like rodney harrison, but he's certainly gone beyond his expectations

I agree, Chung looks like a beast - That kid flys to the ball. I'd give him a A+, His first starting season and he's everywhere, I'm not really sure what else you could ask for.

I have yet to understand the Chung love here. Yes, he is a fierece hitter but he's still a work in progress in coverage. Mediocre to poor in that area of his game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots