PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Troy Brown Going to Another Team? [Clayton]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pray he doesnt

After he was cut by the Pats in 2004, Troy I guess had seriously contemplated going to New Orleans.

I'm sure he was VERY glad not to go there considering the hurricane Katrina incident that was to ensue.

Remember reading about how his son influenced him to stay here, so I suspect for Troy's family may be an important consideration. As far as Mr. Kraft goes, he exerts considerable influence in the business community.. Troy will be taken care of if he decides to retire or stay. I suspect his last contract was "padded" outside of this confines of Gillette with some endorsement & spokesman stuff.

Maybe the NFL should institute a mandatory retirement age to prevent beloved stars from embarrassing themselves and their teams.

Troy Brown will be 37 years old when camp opens. What are the Pats supposed to do? He's such a wonderful player that he'll always be able to contribute a little, but he's definitely reached the point where his body is breaking down and his quickness is gone.

Instead of talking to BB, Robert Kraft should sit Troy Brown down and tell him that it sure would be good if he would let the team have a big retirement fest.

Some of you are developing signs of a Clayton induced short term memory disorder.

2005 was the year Kraft intervened to get Bingo back into the fold. And his intervention was merely a financial one. BB always wanted him, Troy always wanted to be here, we were simply very tight against the cap and couldn't give him a 7 figure offer. Kraft made a few calls and the team sponsors started lining up to pitch their own contract offers to Troy who, in the end, got a veteran deal with a small signing bonus that did not as a result didn't even qualify for veteran minimum. He was $800K on the cap, and signed some lucrative deals with team sponsors.

In 2006 there was no question based on his 2005 play that he would be re-signed - and he got a deal almost double what he earned in 2005 with a substantial (for a 35 year old) signing bonus. Counted $1.5M on the cap. And again, he earned it. At times he was our #1WR...not to mention he had what was arguably one of the headiest and most critical plays of the season striping that INT in the SD game.

He's back here if he believes he has one more year in him. Given our cap position it's worth it to pay him a bonus even to have him through camp as a role model leader to a unit again populated with new players who have never been leaders. He may in fact have legitimate concern he wouldn't make the final roster cut from a talent standpoint if they all in fact perform as hoped, and is likely weighing whether he wants to insure he goes out on his own terms vs. being squeezed out after making the effort. I think his added versatility would still insure him a roster spot, but what it would not insure him is a reasonable expectation of earning much playing time except as a backup in various positions. Maybe he doesn't want to train as hard as a 36 year old has to for that kind of duty.

It was a stretch that he'd really leave after 2004. It's not going to happen at this point in time. Then he believed he might have a couple of years left. Now he's mulling if he has one more in him IMO. He understands his place in Patiot history and he's not going to tarnish or diminish it in any way by letting this franchise win one without him while he's on someone else's roster because he's still capable of playing. Though he is not above tweeking the FO via the media to get a little stroking or a better bonus offer. ;)

In 2006 there was no question based on his 2005 play that he would be re-signed - and he got a deal almost double what he earned in 2005 with a substantial (for a 35 year old) signing bonus. Counted $1.5M on the cap. And again, he earned it.

Not exactly.

$350K of his salary cap figure was a fake LTBE incentive that was never paid, and has since been added to our 2007 cap space.

Another $50K was a signing bonus paid at the same time as the LTBE (late in the season) that appeared to be a sort of thank you gift.

If everyone were healthy, it's not obvious that Troy would even dress for games.

I'm just not optimistic that he'll be on the opening-day roster.

I'm not saying he did but if if he did it doesn't mean he'll do it again.

But I don't think it's out of the question to think that the owner of a team would intervene to bring back a fan favorite who gave everything he had to the team as a good faith move so that fans wouldn't the Pats had used him and then thrown him away. It's Belichicks job to worry about football, and it's Kraft's job to worry about the image of the oraginzation.
why wasnt vineteri brought back? bledsoe was a fann favorite as was mcginest

If everyone were healthy, it's not obvious that Troy would even dress for games.

what is more likely to happen is kraft offers him a job in the organization, if he opts to play more hell be gone but at 37 hes not going to uproot his family if a organizational job is starring him in the face end of story

Maybe the NFL should institute a mandatory retirement age to prevent beloved stars from embarrassing themselves and their teams.
For that to have any effect on Brown, the retirement age would have to be 37. Personally, I liked having Flutie here, and I liked having Vinnie here. No thanks!

If Troy Brown is pushed aside in favor of someone - Kelley Washington - who has done absolutely nothing with his considerable natural talents, I will be extremely pissed-off.

Stallworth - Gaffney
Welker - Caldwell
Troy Brown
Chad Jackson (PUP?)
Washington, but only if 2 QBs, 8 OL and 5 RBs are kept (3 TEs are a given)

Bring back John Hannah and Steve Nelson...

Troy Brown is ancient. Time to hang it up.

Clayton = Mr Peabody

The older guys on this board will understand this.

Does anyone look more like Mr Peabody (and kind of sounds like him too?)

If Troy Brown is pushed aside in favor of someone - Kelley Washington - who has done absolutely nothing with his considerable natural talents, I will be extremely pissed-off.

Stallworth - Gaffney
Welker - Caldwell
Troy Brown
Chad Jackson (PUP?)
Washington, but only if 2 QBs, 8 OL and 5 RBs are kept (3 TEs are a given)
im sure belicheck will take note of your anger

Observation:

1) Brian Dabol the wide receiver coach, has left for the Jets.
2) There are lots of newcomers at WR unfamiliar with the Team's offense.
3) Nick Caserio has returned to the coaching ranks but hasn't coached WRs.

Therefore,

Hire Troy Brown as a WR player/coach so that he can introduce the newcomers to the subtleties of the Pats offense; and he can show them what to do when or if the occasion warrants.;)

<cough> Christian Peter <cough>

:bricks:

The least you could do is mention someone who was drafted in the Belichick/ Pioli era and not the Booby Grier era.

I hope that, if he is going to play for anyone, he plays for us. He is still valuable and can play WR, DB and STs. What more could you ask for out of a 5th or 6th receiver?

Stallworth
Caldwell
Welker
Gaffney
Brown/Washington
Washington/Brown
(Jackson on PUP)

Re: Clayton = Mr Peabody

The older guys on this board will understand this.

Does anyone look more like Mr Peabody (and kind of sounds like him too?)

:rofl: :rofl:

More like Tennessee Tuxedo!!

Observation:

1) Brian Dabol the wide receiver coach, has left for the Jets.
2) There are lots of newcomers at WR unfamiliar with the Team's offense.
3) Nick Caserio has returned to the coaching ranks but hasn't coached WRs.

Therefore,

Hire Troy Brown as a WR player/coach so that he can introduce the newcomers to the subtleties of the Pats offense; and he can show them what to do when or if the occasion warrants.;)

He has long served in that defacto position. If he makes the roster it won't be as a coach, coaches are on the staff and coaches work more hours for far less than veteran minimum players so that ain't gonna fly. The only way Troy introduces the newcomers to the subtleties of the Pat's offense is if he's on it's roster. The only way that happens is if he signs a player contract for the 2007 season. The only way that happens is if they offer him a substantial bonus on top of at least veteran minimum salary like last season and assure him there is a reasonable opportunity for him to make the roster based on his own performance and not just the vageries of how new signees perform in camp, and he has decided he wants to play for another year. Flutie said it best - it's not worth it to most older players to train and practice all week with no shot of playing on Sunday. Sunday is what you train and practice for.

Absent that opportunity still existing here, I can't imagine he would want to start over in almost certainly his final season on another team where he is not familiar with the QB or the system/playbook and would be less likely to stick or contribute much beyond veteran locker room leadership despite physically and mentally busting his ass.

He continues to have the capacity to make an additional $200-500K per in endorsement/commercial earnings here as well which would simply not exist in any other market for a player in his circumstance. I think the understanding on a job for life with the organization was also reached back in 2005 and the only thing that might alter that would be playing elsewhere ala Willie. And if he stayed in touch with Willie last season I think he probably knows that it didn't work out to be the pleasantest of experiences even with RAC to work for - who clearly has one foot out the door already in Cleveland. I don't doubt Eric might make him an offer knowing his two way value, but Troy likely knows what that would do to his legacy here at least short term. I don't think he has that chip on his shoulder he had in 2004-05 that it would take to make that kind of move just to potentially play for one year.

patsgo said:
why wasnt vineteri brought back? bledsoe was a fann favorite as was mcginest

They tried to retain Adam on a year to year basis - just woudn't fly because he had 5-6 good years left, perhaps great ones kicking in a dome. Bledsoe was traded because he was never really a team player - he was a #1 drafted diva - and wouldn't return BB's phone calls in the off season because he wanted to start and he knew that wasn't gonna happen here. As for his being a fan favorite, speak for yourself - I would have driven him to the airport 3 years earlier. Willie wanted to be paid the going rate for quality young talented OLB's at a time when he was not and it represented twice his value. Apples and oranges comparisons.

Fencer said:

When was the last time every one was healthy, let alone proved in camp they could make actually the roster...

mcbee said:
Troy Brown is ancient. Time to hang it up.

mcbee is a resident troll...time to hang it up.

The least you could do is mention someone who was drafted in the Belichick/ Pioli era and not the Booby Grier era.

half of the scenario is still in place--the Krafts. it is as speculative to say that the Krafts have altered their views as it is to say that this example is not applicable.

are Belichick and Pioli as horrible as Bobby Grier was? hell no--and I'm not saying that

I am saying that there is a documented precedent for the Krafts to have a voice in the roster decisions.

There is no documented evidence that the Krafts have changed their views other than a lack of any further Christian Peter examples, which can be attributed to Belichick/Pioli player evals. There is simply no evidence to support the premise, historical evidence to support the contrary and a change in variables.

Should some bizarro situation occur in which the Pats draft a player in the mid-rounds who then goes goofy and is charged with some hate crime or whatnot--I would expect a complete repeat of the CPeter decision.

half of the scenario is still in place--the Krafts. it is as speculative to say that the Krafts have altered their views as it is to say that this example is not applicable.

Its not speculative. Kraft has said in interviews that he learned from his mistakes and doesn get involved with the running of the team.

are Belichick and Pioli as horrible as Bobby Grier was? hell no--and I'm not saying that

I am saying that there is a documented precedent for the Krafts to have a voice in the roster decisions.

I hardly consider ONE incident a documented precedent. Also, that precedent took place 2 regimes ago.

There is no documented evidence that the Krafts have changed their views other than a lack of any further Christian Peter examples, which can be attributed to Belichick/Pioli player evals. There is simply no evidence to support the premise, historical evidence to support the contrary and a change in variables.

Yes there is. There are documented interviews from Kraft saying he doesn't get involved in player decisions under the Belichick regime. Now, that is not to say that one of the criteria that Belichick and Pioli have is that a player not have any domestic violence or other major black marks on their character.

Should some bizarro situation occur in which the Pats draft a player in the mid-rounds who then goes goofy and is charged with some hate crime or whatnot--I would expect a complete repeat of the CPeter decision.

I would expect it also. But because BB and Pioli have shown that they won't take that sort of black mark on the team. Not because Kraft would go in and demand that the player be released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back