PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Troy Brown deadline at 4 PM today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Troy Brown

Don't forget Colvin' status is the wild card here. If he goes to IR.....just saying.

If for some reason colvin was to go to the IR I think we would need to bring in another LB and not activate a 7th wide receiver....

If for some reason colvin was to go to the IR I think we would need to bring in another LB and not activate a 7th wide receiver....

Exactly. Some folks have no critical thinking ability.

Thanks for the morning entertainment. Antowain Smith would have a lot of reps for this team.

Who would have thought the day would come where the talent on the roster was so thick that Troy Brown couldn't make the team. And we may just be at that point.

Looking at the 2001 SB team, how many of the skill players would make the team this year?

Marc Edwards*
Antowain Smith
Kevin Faulk*
Patrick Pass
JR Redmond

Troy Brown
David Patten
Fred Coleman
Charles Johnson

Rod Ruttledge
Jermain Wiggins
Arther Love

* = would make the 2007 team

Who would have thought the day would come where the talent on the roster was so thick that Troy Brown couldn't make the team. And we may just be at that point.

Looking at the 2001 SB team, how many of the skill players would make the team this year?

Marc Edwards*
Antowain Smith
Kevin Faulk*
Patrick Pass
JR Redmond

Troy Brown
David Patten
Fred Coleman
Charles Johnson

Rod Ruttledge
Jermain Wiggins
Arther Love

I have to disagree. If you consider if the 2001 version of those players would make today's roster. With Sammy Morris on IR, I think A.Smith would easily make this team.

Also, Troy Brown would also easily make this team. That year, he was better than all of our WRs except for Moss and maybe Welker.

It is also possible that Patten could eke on our roster as well.

I don't think any of those TEs have a chance though

I didn't look at wide receivers. But, you are right with regard to making the team. Personally, I don't think 2001 Brown was better than Welker or Stallworth. However,

2001 Patten would beat out Gaffney as the #4 receiver.
2001 Troy Brown would beat out Washingon as a special teamer
(because of his versatility)

Curiously, 2007 Patten might have made the team instead of Gaffney had he been available, and 2007 Brown would have made the team instead of Washington had he been healthy in the preseason.

I have to disagree. If you consider if the 2001 version of those players would make today's roster. With Sammy Morris on IR, I think A.Smith would easily make this team.

Also, Troy Brown would also easily make this team. That year, he was better than all of our WRs except for Moss and maybe Welker.

It is also possible that Patten could eke on our roster as well.

I don't think any of those TEs have a chance though

Last edited:

No one but posters on this board believes that Troy Brown is a better corner than Eddie Jackson. At his BEST, Troy was an OK emergency corner able to cover the slot receiver.

If you wish to cut Eddie Jackson based on the Philly game, perhaps you should also consider cutting Gay and Hobbs. Their play was also aweful.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Personally I think (barring unforeseen injuries - the IR kind),

that

1) The Patriots will put Kareem Brown on IR
line depth is:

Seymour
Wilfork
Warren
Green
Wright
LeKevin
Santonio

He wont see the field this year.

2) activate Troy Brown (53 man squad)

3) keep him on the inactive list until/unless needed. 1 of 8 inactives
This way we keep all the special team players.
They could even activate him for a couple of games to give him reps.

The only reason people seem to think that Brown should be activated is b/c of what he has done in the past. People are saying that he is better on D than Jackson and Baker. Even if that were true there are players on other teams practice squads and our emergency lists that are better d backs than Brown. We need Brown to spell Welker in the slot? Welker comes out for a few plays a game anyway passed on formations. Troy has been a true patriot, valuable teammate and versatile contributor for many years but it seems like people are stretching a bit when trying to justify why he should be on the 53 man roster

What is the last day that the Pats have to decide what to do with Troy?
I know it's getting close. I'd love to see him on this team,but am not sure where he could fit in, especially with Gaffney playing so well last night.

Andy
I said this back during training cap but everyone laughed at me. I said the fact that he can play DB will help him find a place on this roster.

Is it worthwhile to educate the rude?

Exactly. Some folks have no critical thinking ability.

LB is a complicated position in the Pats defense. There is no place for newcomers at this position. If Colvin goes out, they move AD and backups are Woods and Alexander. They will not bring in a guy off the street and put him on this roster to play LB. Colvin's spot (which I hope does not open up) would merely open a position on teh roster. It is shortsighted and naive to think it must go to a LB. But what tdo I know, since I have no critical thinking ability like you.

Marc Edwards*
Antowain Smith
Kevin Faulk*
Patrick Pass
JR Redmond

Troy Brown
David Patten
Fred Coleman
Charles Johnson

Rod Ruttledge
Jermain Wiggins
Arther Love

The Troy of that year would definitely make this team. The Kevin Faulk of that year might have trouble.

Thanks for the morning entertainment. Antowain Smith would have a lot of reps for this team.

Beat me to it.

And the 2001 JR Redmond would beat out Kyle Eckel.

In fact, I'd rather have the 2001 RBs than the 2007 RBs (exc: Maroney instead of Pass). If Morris weren't on IR, then I might feel differently.

And the 2001 Troy Brown + Patten > the 2007 KWashington + C Jackson.

And Wiggie from Eastie would be my 3rd TE.

We need Brown to spell Welker in the slot?

No, to back him up.

Unless you think Gaffney is a better slot receiver than Troy -- not a ridiculous opinion, but also not one I agree with -- that's non-trivial value. We don't win the Philly game without a highly productive slot receiver.

Do people really think that Eddie Jackson on this team and Troy Brown out on the street makes the Patriots a better team moving forward? Really?

I would be shocked if the IR'ed him. He either gets activated to the active roster tomorrow, or cut and put on the shadow roster.

That's what I'm leaning toward too. I think they might let him go, while telling him they'll bring him back in a week or two, after they get a better look at Jackson, or maybe have a spot open up. Determining Jacksons fate after 1 game is a little too quick I think.

Why is the status of our inactive 6th WR relevant? Jackson will NOT be cut to make room for Troy Brown.

As we saw yesterday, we only need four wide receivers (plus Watson and/or Faulk), even in the 5 receiver set.

That's what I'm leaning toward too. I think they might let him go, while telling him they'll bring him back in a week or two, after they get a better look at Jackson, or maybe have a spot open up. Determining Jacksons fate after 1 game is a little too quick I think.

Based on how long they're waiting on this, I'm afraid he might be done.

Of course, in a few minutes I might be shown to be wrong. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down