Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony2046

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Was having a conversation with my 9 year old son today, a huge Jules fan, and told him that prior to Jules there was Welker and prior to Welker there was Brady's first go to guy, Troy Brown. After my son went to bed I began to reminisce about my favorite TB moments and searching youtube for memories.

So after reminiscing here is my little ode to Troy Brown.

Career:

Pro Bowl (2001)
First team All-Pro (2001)
Super Bowl champion ( XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX )
AFC Champion (1996, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007)
Ed Block Courage Award (1998)
New England Patriots All-2000s Team
New England Patriots 50th Anniversary Team

Patriots Hall of Fame

Career NFL statistics

Receptions: 557
Receiving yards: 6,366
Touchdowns: 31
Return yards: 4,487
Return TDs: 3
3 Interceptions
1 very important strip fumble
At least 1 lateral for a TD (see below)

Tom Brady after SB 36: "Troy’s the first guy I’m looking for,” Brady told media after the game. “I’m looking for Troy — always Troy.

Super Bowl 36
A 23 yard reception to the 36 yard line with 21 seconds left on the clock to put the Patriots in Field Goal range.(Wiggins adds a 6 yard reception to get them to the 30 and Vinatieri kick the game winner for the Patriots first SB victory)

upload_2016-4-23_21-44-47.jpeg

(<<Link)

Super 38: 1:08 to go in the 4th qtr.

After a reception to get them across midfield Troy Brown makes a fantastic contested catch to get them to the 40. (Branch finishes off the FG drive with a reception to the 23 followed by yet another game winning FG by Vinatieri for their second SB championship.)

upload_2016-4-23_22-22-29.jpeg

Best Defensive play: The Strip

With 5 minutes left in the game, the Patriots were down 21-13 and facing 4th and 5. Tom Brady, known for his playoff poise, uncharacteristically threw his third interception to the Chargers' Marlon McCree. Brown, making what teammate Tedy Bruschi described as a "quick mental switch" from offensive to defensive player, instinctively ripped the ball out of McCree's grasp. The fumble was subsequently recovered by the Patriots Reche Caldwell, giving them a new set of downs.

images

Best Special Teams play: The Lateral

Troy Brown Highlight Video. (Must watch)

Troy Brown is one of my all time favorite Patriots. The guy was a class act on the field and is a class act off of the field.

Question: Which is your favorite Troy Brown moment?

Troy Brown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (<<Link)

Last edited:
Troy Brown is one of my favorite players. It's hard to pick my favorite moment. I think his 2001 season was unbelievable when he had 101 catches. It was Brady's first year and Troy didn't have Gronk like Edelman or Moss like Welker did. Another crazy stat is he had the second most interceptions on the team in 2004.

I got my picture with Troy Brown last week at the season ticket draft preview party. He was super cool and laughed when I brought up when BB put him in at QB during a preseason game.

The catch late in the Carolina SB (pictured above) over Manning Jr. (I believe) was so underrated. Nobody ever talks about how big that catch was on that final drive. He had a clutch catch in that Rams SB too. Man, I miss that guy.

That catch he had on the final drive of SB 36 was when my brother and I started calling him Troy "the football God" Brown. If you could imagine the anxiety level at the SB party during the last minute which was mixed with Patriot fans saying, "they are going to blow this some how" and others yelling, "holy sh*t they're gonna do it" with Madden in the background preaching "I don't like what they're doing here" etc.... that catch was over the top electric.

I was moving across country the next day and was actually supposed leave that Sunday but my brother convinced me to stay to watch the game. Glad I did.

Troy Brown is the consummate Patriot, whatever he was asked to do he did and did it to the best of his ability..

A personal highlight was his Bingo I went to and had a pix taken with him, a quite cool night.. a very personable guy. Hope he continues to polish his on screen personna, so we see more of him.

He was one of my favorite Pats of all time because he was clutch when it counted unlike his successor WW. I have been to Huntington WV the home of Marshall University where he went to college. They have a street named after him, a fitting tribute.

I believe Bill would tell you his favorite Troy Brown game was holding Donald Driver to one reception (and I believe that catch wasn't his assignment). Driver was having a hell of a season too.

Thanks for the links, some incredible memories.

I became a Patriots fan when they drafted my favourite college player, Tom Brady. I didn't know much about Brown at the time but got to experience some of his greatest moments as a player. But looking back, I'm most impressed by his perseverance throughout his career before I even knew who he was.

He's a former 8th-round draft pick, didn't make the team originally, caught 2 passes in his first 2 seasons, didn't become a starter until his 8th season, then played his best football in his 30s. Very unique, very incredible story. If Parcells didn't bring him back later that first season, who knows how different the history of this franchise would be?

Thanks for the links, some incredible memories.

I became a Patriots fan when they drafted my favourite college player, Tom Brady. I didn't know much about Brown at the time but got to experience some of his greatest moments as a player. But looking back, I'm most impressed by his perseverance throughout his career before I even knew who he was.

He's a former 8th-round draft pick, didn't make the team originally, caught 2 passes in his first 2 seasons, didn't become a starter until his 8th season, then played his best football in his 30s. Very unique, very incredible story. If Parcells didn't bring him back later that first season, who knows how different the history of this franchise would be?

He was pick 198.

Maybe we can get a 30 for 30 named "The Troy 24".

Since 24 receivers were taken before him in the draft. :D

Two memories that come to mind that I don't think were mentioned.

The 80 yard bomb in Miami in OT to win it.

And his interception of Drew.

My brother named his dog Troy and at a book signing I got the real Troy to sign a picture of Dog Troy.

Check out the TD throw from Patten at 1.36. Looks like the same play as Edelman to Amendola against the Ravens.

He was pick 198.

Maybe we can get a 30 for 30 named "The Troy 24".

Since 24 receivers were taken before him in the draft. :D

Not sure if you are arguing with him as he was taken in the 8th round /198. There were fewer teams back then so in theory he would have been taken in the 6th Rd now.

Not sure if you are arguing with him as he was taken in the 8th round /198. There were fewer teams back then so in theory he would have been taken in the 6th Rd now.

No wasn't arguing at all. I looked it up and thought "damn, one pick later and it would have been two 199 picks lighting up the NFL"

Which led to the joke about the 30/30. Brady got "The Brady 6" so why can't Troy get "The Troy 24"?

That was the thought process.

The catch against Miami in overtime to win the game is my favorite Troy Brown moment.

I was a huge Pats party (probably like 200 people or so) at this hunting lodge and everyone was in the main hall glued to all the TV's. When the ball was in the air, you could have heard a pin drop and when he made the catch the whole place erupted in this huge cheer and people were high-fiving and hugging each other. I'll never forget it. Not just because it was an awesome play against a division opponent (and because the Pats got screwed on the coin toss) but also because of the whole atmosphere that day and especially during that play.

Was having a conversation with my 9 year old son today, a huge Jules fan, and told him that prior to Jules there was Welker and prior to Welker there was Brady's first go to guy, Troy Brown. After my son went to bed I began to reminisce about my favorite TB moments and searching youtube for memories.

So after reminiscing here is my little ode to Troy Brown.

Career:

Pro Bowl (2001)
First team All-Pro (2001)
Super Bowl champion ( XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX )
AFC Champion (1996, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007)
Ed Block Courage Award (1998)
New England Patriots All-2000s Team
New England Patriots 50th Anniversary Team

Patriots Hall of Fame

Career NFL statistics

Receptions: 557
Receiving yards: 6,366
Touchdowns: 31
Return yards: 4,487
Return TDs: 3
3 Interceptions
1 very important strip fumble
At least 1 lateral for a TD (see below)

Tom Brady after SB 36: "Troy’s the first guy I’m looking for,” Brady told media after the game. “I’m looking for Troy — always Troy.

Super Bowl 36
A 23 yard reception to the 36 yard line with 21 seconds left on the clock to put the Patriots in Field Goal range.(Wiggins adds a 6 yard reception to get them to the 30 and Vinatieri kick the game winner for the Patriots first SB victory)

View attachment 12755

(<<Link)

Super 38: 1:08 to go in the 4th qtr.

After a reception to get them across midfield Troy Brown makes a fantastic contested catch to get them to the 40. (Branch finishes off the FG drive with a reception to the 23 followed by yet another game winning FG by Vinatieri for their second SB championship.)

View attachment 12756

Best Defensive play: The Strip

images

Best Special Teams play: The Lateral

Troy Brown Highlight Video. (Must watch)

Troy Brown is one of my all time favorite Patriots. The guy was a class act on the field and is a class act off of the field.

Question: Which is your favorite Troy Brown moment?

Troy Brown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (<<Link)

Thanks for posting this. Still get chills watching that drive-still the greatest drive in team history. Troy Brown is probably my all-time favorite Patriot-and for a lot of different reasons:his total clutchness in the biggest moments, his tenacity and perseverance in overcoming adversity and long odds time and time again, the fact that he is more like us ordinary people than maybe any Patriot in history(and thats saying a lot, since weve had a lot of guys like that), and one of most down-to earth, genuinely nice guys off the field we've ever had.

The catch against Miami in overtime to win the game is my favorite Troy Brown moment.

I was a huge Pats party (probably like 200 people or so) at this hunting lodge and everyone was in the main hall glued to all the TV's. When the ball was in the air, you could have heard a pin drop and when he made the catch the whole place erupted in this huge cheer and people were high-fiving and hugging each other. I'll never forget it. Not just because it was an awesome play against a division opponent (and because the Pats got screwed on the coin toss) but also because of the whole atmosphere that day and especially during that play.

I hear ya man. I was in a jam-packed sports bar, split between Dolphins-Pats fans(Fins fans were a slight majority, but doing way more trash-talking)-and the atmosphere was electric. Same thing as you described-you could hear a pin drop-and there were hundreds of people there-when the ball hung in the air-and then...pandemonium!

No wasn't arguing at all. I looked it up and thought "damn, one pick later and it would have been two 199 picks lighting up the NFL"

Which led to the joke about the 30/30. Brady got "The Brady 6" so why can't Troy get "The Troy 24"?

That was the thought process.
Gotcha...

Need more coffee.;)

I wish there were thread ratings similar to the individual ones. I'd give this thread a medal.

I wish there were thread ratings similar to the individual ones. I'd give this thread a medal.

That's the Troy Brown factor.

"Anybody want to see a Troy Brown highlight video? "

It's kind of like asking my kids if they want Ice Cream. :D

Before Brady, in 1996 the last game of the season the Pats played the Giants and were losing a game they were supposed to win which, if I remember was for a home game in the divisional round. On a crucial 4th down Troy made a catch to convert laying on his back

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye