Welcome to PatsFans.com

Trouble looming for Walmart on, "Black Friday"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Nov 16, 2012.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +416 / 12 / -26

Guess there is some labor unrest going on for the Nation's Largest Retailer and their skinflint practices may be catching up to them..

Some Walmart workers decided to strike on Black Friday after they were targeted for retaliation for speaking out about substandard work conditions and treatment last month in the first ever walk out in the history of the company. The Occupy Movement is supporting them..

I do not expect a huge impact on Wal Mart, as many will be afraid of losing their menial jobs.. heard something on the radio the other day about how a large retail operation in NYC(Abercrombie Fitch??), entire workforce is comprised of part timers.. they have something like 1,000 employees all work no more than 10 hours per week. JC Penney is trending the same way, it is the employees responsibility to check in daily to see if they are scheduled..

Wal-Mart workers plan Black Friday walkout - Nov. 15, 2012

[​IMG]

2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +414 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Don't really get how all the above is connected.

The Walmart point is clear and who can blame anyone who works for that fleabag company. I hope they all go out on mass strikes so no one can shop there the entire Christmas season.

The fact the OWS are supporting them adds nothing to the discussion because they're an irrelevant group.

Who care if Abercrombie and JCP only have part time workers....and how is that connected to....Trouble looming for Walmart on, "Black Friday"???

And please people, don't boycott Walmart unless the employees actually are willing to strike. If they're not willing to strike, it must not be a big enough deal to them, so it won't be big enough for us to boycott. It is they who need to sacrifice, not us.

None of us are responsible for Walmart employee well being....that is 100% there responsibility.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +416 / 12 / -26

If you have to ask about the penchant for these big employers to only hire "day workers", you will never understand...

As I said there probably will not be a strike, and most folks are chickenshyt about their jobs.. when you have a very small piece of the pie, you fear losing that piece... very difficult to organize people who are continually in fear of job loss.

OWS is supporting them, if that is irrelevant in your eyes so be it..

4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +414 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

I actually understand it on a deeper level than you do Darryl.

I'm fully aware that PUBLIC corporations MUST earn higher profits every single year. I understand that they have no choice but to fulfill their obligations to their share holders while you seem to believe they can do "what is right" by their employees. If they did that, they'd go bankrupt very quickly.

Now if they were private companies, then you'd have a point.

BTW...we'll be seeing JC Penney go out business very soon. So then you can watch all those poor part-time workers collect unemployment.

OWS is irrelevant to the majority of Americans Darryl.

I'd LOVE to see Walmart employees strike and form a union. But it's up to them to take action...not anyone else's responsibility but theirs. Small piece of the pie withstanding.

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +568 / 6 / -2

If they strike, fire them. If you can't find people to replace them, then it looks like they'll have to pay and/or offer more to prospective employees. They're only going to hire part timers in a couple of years anyway, once Obamacare kicks in. If not them, then most who can will.

6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +416 / 12 / -26

They have always favored part timers, that is the problem.. and the subject of many law suits..

7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

How can they possibly replace the greeters in such a short time frame ... that job requires intense training. Come to think of it I don't think any Walmart job requires more training than a here's your Walmart uniform ... get to work - it's not a company of einsteins at the store level.

8. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +446 / 6 / -13

When was the last time a big retailer failed because they could not find employees?

How many of these people are forced to work those jobs?

Quit and find something better.....

9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

self employed people like myself read these stories of mal content workers and we cringe. these people are lucky someone wants to even hire their pathetic selves. if they had any skills or any dedication in their earlier life they would not be working at Walmart. they are to pathetic to realize that beyond Walmart nobody even will want them.

10. OMGWTFJUDD

OMGWTFJUDD Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thats a grossly unfair and sweeping generalization about an entire labor force.

11. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

Why?

Beyond the handicapped and senior citizen and teen workers Walmart employs why is it unfair? Workers work at below standard prices because they are unqualified or undesirable to be hired at higher prices. If they had the skills to be paid more they would not be working at Walmart. It may sound harsh but that is the reality of employment in our country today.

Young people should take notice ... they should stay in school and do their homework and stay out of trouble. They should go to college or trade school even at government expense so that they don't ever have to be used by a company such as Walmart. Sorry OMGWTFJUDD but I sacrificed much in my younger life so I would never have to work at a Walmart or such a company ... and I grew up poor to boot.

It does not imply that the people are not nice, or hard working or honest or anything else. it does imply that they are used because they are desperate. Workers work at low rates and with little to no benefits for employment reasons. Walmart is a drain on their local communities resources including health care. They offer little to nothing in the area of benefiting anyone except for Walmart.

With the exceptions of the seniors and handicapped and teens ... but even then Walmart is saving money more than they are serving humanity.

Am I a Walmart hater .... YES!!!

Will any of those strikers easily find another job .... NO!

If they could find another job they would not be working at Walmart.

I hope they strike because i hate Walmart ... I also think they deserve to be canned for striking ... the fools.

12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Heh heh. Boycotting Wal-Mart during the first day of the Christmas shopping season.

Good luck with that! :rocker:

13. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -1

Let's boil it down to common sense. If you don't like Walmart's policies then don't work there. If you don't have a choice and need a job then be thankful Walmart is providing one for you and learn to live with their policies. It is pretty simple, and there really is no way to argue against it.

14. OMGWTFJUDD

OMGWTFJUDD Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Does not make them less worthy citizens of society than anybody else.

15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

Nobody said they were ... and BTW we have rules here
    you might want to read them before commenting on others opinions in the 1st person.

I'm not a bigot and you have no business calling me one in the forum.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +607 / 7 / -6

Did you remove a post calling you a bigot or did I miss it?

17. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +607 / 7 / -6

Because we've done so much to grind down unions in this country, strikes have been rare and are all too easily broken. Organized labor no longer enjoys the legal protection it once did.

As to the idea that someone working at Walmart would strike, I don't get why we have a two-page hate-a-thon about how horribly sub-standard these workers must be.

The only question is whether the organizers will be successful or unsuccessful. My money's on un-, because Walmart will just hire scabs, and there are plenty of scabs to be had.

18. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

It was a personal attack do you have a problem that i did?

Walmart does not on average even pay the average hourly rates of people doing the same work elsewhere. My statement was a fair assessment of the state of the Walmart worker. Most of their rates are near the low end of the scale.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/Walmart-Stores-Hourly-Pay-E715.htm

19. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is were the Healthcare reform bill went wrong, they should of made it straight across the board, full-time,part time,any time, that way company's like this don't cut hours to save money aka GREED!

Now everyone is just going to cut hours and hire more people, the government needs to be two steps ahead of the private sector, they're very very very good at working around laws and not being honest.

You show me an honest businessman and i'll show you an out of work businessman.:cool:

Should of made it across the board, healthcare for all!

Plato said it best:

You have to be two steps ahead of these companies, they will find ways around the laws....

20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +416 / 12 / -26

It is like taxes, these companies have legions of lawyers they pay handsomely to figure out how to avoid taxes, rather than pay taxes...

They have legions of folks figuring out how to screw these workers, and avoid benefits rather than taking care of the employee....

It was commented on that it is a haven for youngsters, and old people.. it is also a haven for single mothers and underemployed workers... they deserve dignity..