Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tropical storms doubled due to global warming, study says

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +226 / 6 / -7

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/07/29/tropical.storms.ap/index.html

The number of tropical storms developing annually in the Atlantic Ocean more than doubled over the past century, with the increase taking place in two jumps, researchers say.

The increases coincided with rising sea surface temperature, largely the byproduct of human-induced climate warming, researchers Greg J. Holland and Peter J. Webster concluded.

The annual average jumped to 10 tropical storms and five hurricanes from 1931 to 1994. From 1995 to 2005, the average was 15 tropical storms and eight hurricanes annually. Even in 2006, widely reported as a mild year, there were 10 tropical storms.

Hurricanes derive their energy from warm ocean water. North Atlantic surface temperature increased about 1.3 degrees Fahrenheit during the 100-year period studied. Other researchers have calculated that at least two-thirds of that warming can be attributed to human and industrial activities.
  2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I wish we could get some "global warming" here in northern Europe. Temps have again been lower than normal for the fifth out of seven past years. Today's 3 PM Temp: 64 F. And this is end of July.

But if there is a problem with increased emissions, maybe Al Gore and his posse could help out by easing up on THEIR OWN personal consumption -- 10 to 20 times the average. Leadership by example would be nice, for a change, for the Radical Life Change cheer leaders.

//
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 2 / -9

It's Bush's Fault
  4. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +828 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

To a certain extent, it definitely is. Good post.
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The human activities that proponents claim is contributing to global warming are the same processes that pollute the air, soil and water. We are wrecklessly poisoning the environment and harming humans' health directly. GW has long-term effects, be it from human or natural causes. The securing, extraction, transport and burning of fossil fuels contaminates the planet directly where we raise our children, not to mention the hundreds of thousands who die and suffer for oil wars. Diseases and death directly related from these activities are tangeable and irrefutable. It should be enough to make us stop this practice and try harder to develop other energy sources. Sometimes I wonder if the oil companies and corporate government aren't enjoying this orgy about global warming as a diversion from the true evils of a petroleum-based economy.
  6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +569 / 2 / -9

Kill Everybody Before They Destroy The Earth

Repossess Al Gores SUV's

Quick, put Obama in the White House so Global Warming will stop

Oh God

:bricks:
  7. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I am all for stopping 100% of ALL pollution of air, land, and water. When I worked on the ocean (Atlantic, from Georges Bank to the Cape, and the Florida coast) it was literally appalling to see the amount of pure trash and pollution dumped into the water. Sickening. And this was 25 years ago. It's even worse today.

Leadership by example is the only way to get the general population to go along with proposed changes to our way of life, ie, use of oil, etc. I'm for MAJOR fines for ocean pollution: $2000 or more for small private craft; $200,000 and up for commercial vessels.

//
  8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +569 / 2 / -9

If there is "Global Warming" the world has to work together to stop it.

America's Looney Left ignores the rest of the world, in their hateful little minds they want the blame put on one man and one country and we don't have to guess who that is.

Put to death any citizen of Africa or South America that is caught having a Bowel Movement in their back yard or who is caught throwing a dead body in a river.
  9. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +828 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

G.W. = Global Warming ... G.W. Bush ... Hmm ...
  10. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

HB
    I couldnt agree more with your point about the problem needing a Global solution.
    I grew up in a Third World country (Indonesia) where pollution in on a scale one here in the US couldnt even imagine. LA at its worst doesnt even come close by comparison All trash is burned, no emission standards for any of the 3 million, lead gasoline burning engines. There are no regulations to speak of. Walking down the street is like smoking a pack of cigarettes.
    You know your sky is dirty when the general population celebrates any night you can see the moon as if it were the 4th of July....
  11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +569 / 2 / -9

Now they (Bush Haters) will either ignore you or they will come after you with both guns blazing and accuse you of Racism, Neo Conism, Right Wingnut, Jesus Lover, Nazi, Homophobe, or not worthy of a response, they don't want to hear anything such as you posted, the real GORE KOOKS want only One Man & One Country blamed for everything that is wrong on the planet BUSH & AMERICA.
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +226 / 6 / -7

Unfortunately, the US refuses to be part of a global solution that would both encourage and help nations clean up their environment. On a per capita basis, the U.S. is one the worst CO2 polluters, and in order to protect its biggest industries refuses to play a leadership role in a global solution to the problem.

http://globalis.gvu.unu.edu/indicator.cfm?IndicatorID=199

Indonesia may have some very polluted areas, but I would guess the vast majority of its many islands are quite pristine.
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +226 / 6 / -7

Harry Boy, you're for Kyoto!
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Wow, I guess I kinda knew it was bad in Asia, but I had no idea it was that bad. That sucks.

I agree with Buster on his point that we have to lead and LIVE by example. The entire population looks to its leaders, either politicians, movie stars or pro athletes and tend to emulate their behavior. What do they see? Caravans and entourages of Denalis. Exsalades and Hummas. The most visible public fugures in our society demonstrate how NOT to live and behave. Everyone follows suit.

When the US does this, the rest of the world will eventually follow suit. The world looks at us as their mother, even if she's a ***** once in a while. We must set the example for all other countries, just like our "leaders" have to set the example for us.

This isn't just an environmental issue. It's also a medical issue, a geo-political issue, and a national security issue. You don't have to be a tree-hugger commie bastid to agree that we have to cut down our thirst for oil. We can create new markets, improve our health and quality of life, and eliminate the threat of oil and terrorist -producing fascist countries, if we can put our heads down and solve the energy problem here in the US. What the hell are we waiting for...some other country to do it? Imagine if China discovered the secret of fusion reaction containment first? Personally, I think they'd share it with everyone like we would, but wouldn't it be better if we had the ability to free the world of poverty with cheap, clean energy? The US would be admired for generations. Plus - we'd still have the hottest girls and the best football teams in the world.

The US has to stop subsidizing the oil corporations now. They don't produce any real profits. They suckle at the teat of the American taxpayer, and it makes them stronger. The "Free market" is a myth when it comes to sectors like energy, farming, and healthcare.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 6 / -2

This is funny. So what weather satellites were tracking the weather in centuries past?
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +457 / 6 / -2

So now Global Warming is the fault of GW. Then people wonder what I mean by Bush hate. I guess 30% will do that ya.
  17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +569 / 2 / -9

After a Gore Disciple gets all jacked up on white wine and cheese and then has sex in the back of his car what does he do with his "used condom".

Does he have a little "doggy sh!t bag" with him or does he put it in his pocket and take it home with him :singing: :rofl:
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +226 / 6 / -7

Your arrogance makes you seem ignorant. You just threw out the research and analysis of two esteemed scientists. Did you ever bother to think that the reason scientists do research is to find ways to learn about climate from times before satellites. Tell me, do you really believe Lincoln gave the Gettsburgy address even though theres absolutely no video him doing so?

Dr. Greg Holland
    Director, Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Division Earth and Sun Systems Laboratory, National Center for Atmospheric Research

Peter J. Webster
    Professor, School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences (EAS), Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1972)
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +457 / 6 / -2

I use my brain, and a little common sense. Someday you should try the same. So who were the esteemed Einsteins that predicted the worst hurricane season ever last year? Are these guys the same people who predicted Global Cooling back in the 70's? I just find it funny that people would take a 100 year window out of 6 billion years, and certify something. I saw that chart on the news today while I was in Boston.
  20. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

i was just speaking from the perspective of having lived in one the most polluted places on earth.....if that makes me a nazi, homophobe, jesus lover, right wing nut job, unworthy of response etc etc. so be it......to me name calling is one step up from a temper tantrum from a 20 month old....and deserves just as little attention....

patters is right with one of his points, we as a country do need to lead the way into making our world a cleaner place. we are a large contributor, and as a result have a responsibility to lead the way. never the less, this is a global issue and all of us who call this planet home need to work on it....

bush loving/hating a side....in my opinion if you draw this down to a "bush" issue then truely dont know your ass from a hole in the wall....even the people who "lead the fight" for the protection of the environment, (see. A. Gore) dont have a leg to stand on....im no bush supporter, in fact there is little to nothing i agree with the man on; but to make this a partisan issue, when neither side does anything other than ignoring a protocal (bush/kyoto) or telling the rest of us what "We" need to do....while at the same time leaving "carbon footprint" 15-20 times the national ave. (gore).... oh the leaders we have....:rolleyes:

pot.....meet the kettle......