Welcome to PatsFans.com

troops won't fight...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Terry Glenn is a cowgirl, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Swept up by a wave of patriotism after the U.S. invasion of Iraq, Chris Magaoay joined the Marine Corps in November 2004.

The newly married Magaoay thought a military career would allow him to continue his college education, help his country and set his life on the right path.

Less than two years later, Magaoay became one of thousands of military deserters who have chosen a lifetime of exile or possible court-martial rather than fight in Iraq or Afghanistan.

?It wasn?t something I did on the spur of the moment,? said Magaoay, a native of Maui, Hawaii. ?It took me a long time to realize what was going on. The war is illegal.?

Magaoay said his disillusionment with the military began in boot camp in Twentynine Palms, Calif., where a superior officer joked about killing and mistreating Iraqis. When his unit was deployed to Iraq in March, Magaoay and his wife drove to Canada, joining a small group of deserters who are trying to win permission from the Canadian government to stay.

?We?re like a tight-knit family,? Magaoay said.

The Pentagon says deserters like Magaoay represent a tiny fraction of the nation?s fighting forces.

?The vast majority of soldiers who desert do so for personal, family or financial problems, not for political or conscientious objector purposes,? said Lt. Col. Bryan Hilferty, a spokesman for the Army.

http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=13091

2. Chevy

Chevy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

He's a deserter, a criminal of the highest order, a traitor to his nation, and an insult to every other servicemember who faithfully serves.

3. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

I had a couple of friends who went to Canada during Vietnam. It was after the got their draft notices and before they took the enlistment oath. They had both written letters asking for C.O. status.

I have no problem with them for doing that. Hell, I even gave one a ride to the Boston area so he could join up with a group that was helping him go to Canada. I was going down there to say good bye to some relatives because I had orders to go to Vietnam.

But, this guy is a POS - no guts-. Either you stand for what you believe, like my friends, or you don't. This guy took the oath. He should be sent back and put into Leavenworth if found guilty.

And, no NEM, Bush's CO never brought charges so any charge that you think you have is meaningless.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +995 / 2 / -9

Soldiers have been deserting since wars began, every war has them.