Welcome to PatsFans.com

Troops: Skipping Christian concert got us punished

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +294 / 12 / -10

The Associated Press: Troops: Skipping Christian concert got us punished

RICHMOND, Va. β€” The Army said Friday it was investigating a claim that dozens of soldiers who refused to attend a Christian band's concert at a Virginia military base were banished to their barracks and told to clean them up.

Pvt. Anthony Smith said he and other soldiers felt pressured to attend the May concert while stationed at the Newport News base, home of the Army's Transportation Corps.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +721 / 2 / -9

We're getting like the Muslims.

3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Its not like he made them crawl around on all fours with leashes around their necks, he basically made them clean up their rooms. I'm not trying to crap on your thread Patters, but the officer responsible has apologized and it sounds like it won't happen again. What's left to discuss?

4. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +721 / 2 / -9

God Damn Christians

5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Wrong thing for the officer to do. If they were being given time off to attend the concert and choose not to that would modify things a bit. This however sounds punative.

6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good Lord, how is this even remotely considered news?

Guess what? The above scenario took place every single Sunday morning when I was in boot camp. After breakfast, each of us had the choice of going to the services of our choosing. But it ain't like those who didn't go could take a nap or anything like that. They would be awake, up, working and most likely getting yelled at.

7. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +275 / 3 / -3

There isn't much detail to the story, so for now I'd agree with you that there isn't much to it as "news."

there have been issues in recent years along these lines, though, perhaps mostly at the Air Force Academy?

But the question I'd ask is why should this happen, as you say it did when you were in boot camp? (and I don't doubt you at all). Why should personal time be given to soldiers for religious reasons while the others work? Shouldn't religion be on personal time?

8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

When you're in boot camp, you have no personal time. You are allowed to go to services to practice the religion of your choice but that doesn't make it "personal time."

I have some bad news for you that may cause you to lose some sleep: When you're in the military, you do not have the same rights civilians do. And guess what? Sometimes life ain't fair! If you want to go to church then you can go to church, but if you don't want to go to church, then you're going to clean the barracks. Needless to say, all 82 of us in my company found religion that spring. And we didn't even think it necessary to contact the ACLU.

It never ceases to amaze how many liberals (especially ones who never served) think they know best how to run the military.

9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

In boots camp this isn't really any personal time. Letting people practice this religion is a 200 year+ tradition.

10. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +275 / 3 / -3

Wolf and 13, you seem to be missing my point. Permitting soldiers to go to religious services is, in fact, giving them personal time. You just don't want to call it that, I guess, because the alternative is to say that the religious services are part of the military's training. It's one or the other.

Wolf, I love that conservatives like you are so quick to question the government but so loathe to so much as question institutions like the armed forces (and law enforcement, prosecutors, etc.). I ask a pretty straightforward question (on a messageboard) and that becomes "knowing best how to run the military." Good stuff. How dare anybody in any way question the military... :rolleyes:

11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Perhaps from the POV of the military it is allowing soldiers to exercise their First Amendment rights.

12. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +275 / 3 / -3

Be careful, wolfie's going to lecture you on what rights soldiers, as opposed to civilians, have.

Just to be clear, btw, 13, I have no problem with the military letting soldiers attend religious services of their choice. My own view is the soldiers who aren't religious should have that time to themselves as well. Otherwise the military is rewarding those who are religious, or pretend to be, as wolf himself alluded to, and I don't see how that is justifiable or desirable.

13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +721 / 2 / -9

Liberals Despise The Military.
    The reason they despise the military is "the military defends us from our enemy" and the Liberal usually "defends and supports our enemy"

The liberal always looks for a way to "Blame America"

14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Religious services are a very important part of military life, whether you are in training, in the desert, storming the beaches, on the sea or whatever. They are not mandatory, but they are important nonetheless.
    I would hope every single citizen of this country would be quick to question the government. But I guess you the government should be questioned only when a Republican is in office
    Questioning the military is fine, but you arrogantly presume you have a better idea how to run it than the fellas who have done so quite successfully for over 200 years now.

15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Don't be ridiculous. PF13 seems to have a really good grasp of military life so he certainly doesn't need me to lecture him.
    Well you know, junior, some things in life just aren't fair. Quit whining and get used to it.

16. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +275 / 3 / -3

Why are they important? To whom are they important?

If they are so important, why aren't they mandatory?

As for the rest of you're post, you're again delving into your own personal fiction. Just like my prior post said nothing at all about the "rights" of non-religious soldiers, nowhere have I said anything about questioning Democrats, have I?

And no where have I presumed to know how to run the military, have I? Except that to you, having any opinion that runs counter to the military means knowing better. Apparently you think it's fine to question the military -- as long as you agree with them, of course.

17. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +275 / 3 / -3

I'm quite certain nobody needs you lecturing them.

And thanks for giving your real response -- there is no real justification for it. You just like it because you're a bible thumper.

18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Are you serious with these questions? I are you just clueless, or being deliberately obtuse?

Religion is very important to many people in this country, including many of the men and women who serve us in uniform. It can be especially impotant to people who are asked to risk their lives on a daily basis (although I certainly was never in such a position). Maybe you will never understand why that is the case, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

You know all those freedoms that you take for granted? Well there are a couple million people who have sacrificed their everyday lives to protect those freedoms for you. Some of them even put their lives on the line on a regular basis. I don't think it's too much to allow them to have a spiritual life.

As for why religious services are not mandatory, I am going to assume that question was asked as a result of you being obtuse and not clueless, so I shall not dignify it with any further response.
    Well you're pretty critical of conservatives who dare to question the government.
    Acutally, yeah, that's pretty much what you're doing here.

19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

They are important to people of faith. If you look at documentaries of WW1 & WW2 you would see chaplins were deployed extensivly. Frequently a Chaplin would provide services to men of idfferent faiths. When you might get killed many are comforted by their religion.

Because you can't.shouldn't force someone to hold a particular or any religious belief.

I spent only 4 years in the military as an enlisted man. I had stopped being a catholic at that point but never resented those who had a religion they believed in . Too bad people choose not to consider the belief's of others. I find the secular humanist to be quite intolerant of others.

20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually, your statements have demonstrated quite clearly that there are indeed people who do.
    More vile, hateful statements and bigotry from a closed minded, intolerant liberal. Just as I expected.

To quote you, thanks for giving your real response. Don't get mad at me for exposing you for your hatred of the military and of religion. You're the one that has to live in your close minded little world of disgusting pettiness and intolerance.